Contradictions of the Bible

Drake_Roberts

Rookie
Oct 20, 2013
Southern Indiana, USA
Due to a suggestion from The Irish Ram, I have decided to start this thread about the contradictions in the Bible as a means to address problems people may have with it. If you don't have anything reasonable or constructive to say, please don't post here.

Go ahead, post any contradictions or problems you have with Bible and we shall debate it (please cite the passages used, I don't feel like spending my whole day searching through the Bible).

Last edited:
east of eden...land of nod....cain takes a wife....where did the wife come from?

i simply say ..the bible says adam and eve are the first not the only...

i see no reason to quote bible verses as we all know the tale

east of eden...land of nod....cain takes a wife....where did the wife come from?

i simply say ..the bible says adam and eve are the first not the only...

i see no reason to quote bible verses as we all know the tale

His sister.

These may not be contradictions at all, just the author not really being knowledgeable of the Bible. Like one he lists:

"Who is the father of Joseph?"

Then he goes to explain two different Josephs who were on earth at different times......like there was only one Joseph during that time? The first one is Joseph, the son of Jacob....who didn't happen to be the same Joseph that married Mary the mother of Jesus......like the first Joseph would have been really old by the time Jesus came about.

• Banned
Alrighty then. Here's one I found when I opened the Bible to a random page:

Jeremiah 46:10- But that day belongs to the Lord, the LORD Almighty-- a day of vengeance, for vengeance on his foes. The sword will devour till it is satisfied, till it has quenched its thirst with blood. For the Lord, the LORD Almighty, will offer sacrifice in the land of the north by the River Euphrates. (NIV)

God is supposedly merciful. Why then would a quote by God have him quenching his thirst with the blood of Israel's enemies? And what would the highest being in creation be offering sacrifices to?

Judas died how?

"And he cast down the pieces of silver into the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself." (MAT 27:5)

"And falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all of his bowels gushed out." (ACT 1:18)

Yeah!! That had me scratching my head. I thought...wtf? Was Judas Braveheart or something? I thought he hung himself. Now he was gutted. Which is it?

War or Peace?

EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

In my opinion, God is ever changing. As an example, in order to claim the promised land for their own, the Jews would not have relied on diplomacy, but war. Thus, God in Exodus appeared to them as a warrior, promising victory in combat. There was, however, no defeating of the Roman Empire in this manner, as demonstrated by the numerous failed attempts at rebellion. In response to this, God lead the faithful as a benevolent ruler, promoting passive resistance to Rome as opposed to open war. God has never seen fit to update his stance since then, so we are still stuck with the Passive One as our God, for now.

Judas died how?

"And he cast down the pieces of silver into the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself." (MAT 27:5)

"And falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all of his bowels gushed out." (ACT 1:18)

Yeah!! That had me scratching my head. I thought...wtf? Was Judas Braveheart or something? I thought he hung himself. Now he was gutted. Which is it?

He hung himself, the rope broke after a while and he spilled his guts on the rocks below.

One person saw it early and the other person saw it after. Each person told their story which was true but they didn't see what the other saw.

At the rate the average church teaches, it would take the average Christian 149 years in church to learn the Bible. The reason most Christians can't answer the questions is because they don't take the time to learn the material. If you were willing to take two hours a day for fifteen years at an adult rate, anyone can answer the questions if they were willing to devote hours to God. I have answered a lot of apologetic questions to people who will never change because answering the questions will not satisfy them. They decide they don't want God and the questions like these come later.

Judas died how?

I personally subscribe to the former. I think the latter is a bit... well, fantastical and unlikely.

War or Peace?

In my opinion, God is ever changing. As an example, in order to claim the promised land for their own, the Jews would not have relied on diplomacy, but war. Thus, God in Exodus appeared to them as a warrior, promising victory in combat. There was, however, no defeating of the Roman Empire in this manner, as demonstrated by the numerous failed attempts at rebellion. In response to this, God lead the faithful as a benevolent ruler, promoting passive resistance to Rome as opposed to open war. God has never seen fit to update his stance since then, so we are still stuck with the Passive One as our God, for now.

He knew they wouldn't repent so God brought the Jews into two captivities as punishment. He used the unified Roman world and Greek culture to bring a language that everyone could understand the gospel in. He brought in Germanic Invaders to get the Christians out and spread the gospel. The Christians biggest mistake was not to leave and take the gospel into all the world because a lot of them were destroyed after Titus sacked Rome.

War or Peace?

He knew they wouldn't repent so God brought the Jews into two captivities as punishment. He used the unified Roman world and Greek culture to bring a language that everyone could understand the gospel in. He brought in Germanic Invaders to get the Christians out and spread the gospel. The Christians biggest mistake was not to leave and take the gospel into all the world because a lot of them were destroyed after Titus sacked Rome.

Titus? Are you referring to Odoacer?

Titus? Are you referring to Odoacer?

Titus Vespasian

Vespasian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back