Contractors license : The government is out of hand

here's the quote from the state of Nevada

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.>>>
You must have at least four years of experience to qualify. Credit for experience is given only for experience at a journeyman level or as a foreman, supervising employee or contractor.

You are required to submit with the application, a minimum of four (4) notarized Reference Certificates (certificates) for each trade qualifier. The references must be completed by a person whom has first hand knowledge of your experience- that is, he or she must have observed the work you have done. Employers, other than the applying company, a supervisor, other journeyman, contractor, union representative, building inspector, architect or engineer should complete the certificates. If you are a self-employed contractor, customers for whom the work was performed can complete the references. Relatives cannot complete the certificates, unless that relative was your employer. References that are not complete or not specific regarding the actual work performed will not be accepted. Any reference determined to be false or misleading may be considered misrepresentation of a material fact, in violation of NRS 624.3013(2). The required reference certificates are on pages 19 – 22.

In addition to the references, a detailed resume’ of your experience must also be provided. Include name, current address, phone number and dates of employment for each employer. Describe in detail the work performed. Specify type(s) of construction projects, trades(s), craft(s), tasks and duties performed. If self-employment is being relied upon to establish any portion of the experience requirement, include on the Resume of Experience form customers for whom you worked, including their complete mailing address and phone number. The Resume of Experience form can be found on page 23 of the application.

Most people read this and think it's not a big deal, but let me tell you the problems.

The ideal way this is set up is , you work for the union mafia for 20 years then when you retire with pension you decide you're going to start you're own business, and you have 20 years worth of buddies that say "Yeah I know that guy" you get your license and everyone's happy.

If that's not the story of your life you can easily hit problems , even with the proper requirements.

If a guy is working for the union and he wants to get a contactors license , just in case, ...he violates the union agreements of doing "side work" and can be dropped. So now he has to make a choice of trying to ask people in the business to vouch for him, and take the chance they might squeal. (the bottom line is these are designed to stop a union member and other employees from applying)

If you want to be a contractor you have to go out into the world where everyone hates your guts and beg them to fill out a reference form. If i'm reading this right, for the state of Nevada, it also has to be notarized. People don't want to do that.

In the state of California they print on the bottom "any false statements is a felony", I don't know if Nevada is the same way.

When I applied for a contractor's license, I sent in an extra reference from my mom. My own mother was afraid to write me a reference after she read the "felony" part, and everything I wanted her to say was completely true. They tossed it anyways. Nevada pre-solved that "loophole" by saying no relatives.

The thing that really pissed me off is, dishonest people who know dishonest people breeze through this step. Dishonest people know the state isn't going to charge them with a felony for filling out a form. Honest people want no part in it. "Oh yeah, he was plumber back in Laos for 15 years! No problem" (and the guy is 18 years old). These state rules practically ensure that dishonest people will be the contractor.

Another small little detail is the state of Nevada says they want detailed dates employment. So what's wrong with that?

People today , in service jobs bounce around from job to job. If you work in the business for a year but were laid off for 2 months, then you only have 10 months experience. To get 5 years experience you need to be on the job probably 7.

The reason why most people want to try to be a contractor, is because they're not getting enough work from their employers.

You ace all the tests but they reject your license due to meaningless requirements, and collect your fees.

-----------------------------------------

The government is slamming the door on the youth of this country. We need serious changes in government

Any contractor is usually licensed by the state they plan to live in and work in, especially in the construction trades. For decades now electricians and plumbers work for 4 years, under an apprenticeship and then are eligible to take a state exam to get a Journeyman's license, and then there are separate requirements to get a Master's electrical license. Education after that consists of every 3 years 12 or more hours of additional schooling and tests to meet new electric codes. Upon completion of this their license is renewed.

This is through-out the construction industry and it's for a good reason. You don't want your home burning down or the roof caving in (after you move in.) So what's your point?

Really, I built my own house, did everything from the subterranean plumbing to the roof cap, no problems outside of normal maintenance. I wired a friends two story home in CO back in the 70's, of course he told the inspector he did it himself, the inspector complemented him on the work and passed it with no corrections needed. I've never worked as an electrician. It's a govt scam to get all the license fees.
So you would be comfortable with anyone being a contractor no matter how many consumers were stiffed in your field of expertise that you depended on to make money? I happen to own a prestigious certification that makes me as an expert in my field. I command top dollar for my services. If everyone could do what i do I would be unable to earn as much as I do.

I was once a worker bee. Then I went to contractor status and finally I saw with my own eyes how much money i was being paid in relationship to the company I contracted for. I then cut out the middle man.

Doing what?
Engineering. Not construction. However, my uncle owns a roofing company so I have seen what goes on.

And I guarantee your uncle would be clueless on how to bid an electrical or HVAC job. He would be just one of the folks on a general contractors contact list.

There isn't a state in this nation that does not have licensing requirements for electricians--so whoever's uncle if not licensed would be fined, levied, sued by the customer and any contractor license he did hold, if any, the state or local building department--could yank.

Maybe you should learn what a general contractor does, they arrange for and schedule work to be done, very few do any of it themselves.
But you are mssing the point. They have to be skilled in organizing and scheduling the work.

You must have at least four years of experience to qualify. Credit for experience is given only for experience at a journeyman level or as a foreman, supervising employee or contractor.

You are required to submit with the application, a minimum of four (4) notarized Reference Certificates (certificates) for each trade qualifier. The references must be completed by a person whom has first hand knowledge of your experience- that is, he or she must have observed the work you have done. Employers, other than the applying company, a supervisor, other journeyman, contractor, union representative, building inspector, architect or engineer should complete the certificates. If you are a self-employed contractor, customers for whom the work was performed can complete the references. Relatives cannot complete the certificates, unless that relative was your employer. References that are not complete or not specific regarding the actual work performed will not be accepted. Any reference determined to be false or misleading may be considered misrepresentation of a material fact, in violation of NRS 624.3013(2). The required reference certificates are on pages 19 – 22.

In addition to the references, a detailed resume’ of your experience must also be provided. Include name, current address, phone number and dates of employment for each employer. Describe in detail the work performed. Specify type(s) of construction projects, trades(s), craft(s), tasks and duties performed. If self-employment is being relied upon to establish any portion of the experience requirement, include on the Resume of Experience form customers for whom you worked, including their complete mailing address and phone number. The Resume of Experience form can be found on page 23 of the application.

Most people read this and think it's not a big deal, but let me tell you the problems.

The ideal way this is set up is , you work for the union mafia for 20 years then when you retire with pension you decide you're going to start you're own business, and you have 20 years worth of buddies that say "Yeah I know that guy" you get your license and everyone's happy.

If that's not the story of your life you can easily hit problems , even with the proper requirements.

If a guy is working for the union and he wants to get a contactors license , just in case, ...he violates the union agreements of doing "side work" and can be dropped. So now he has to make a choice of trying to ask people in the business to vouch for him, and take the chance they might squeal. (the bottom line is these are designed to stop a union member and other employees from applying)

If you want to be a contractor you have to go out into the world where everyone hates your guts and beg them to fill out a reference form. If i'm reading this right, for the state of Nevada, it also has to be notarized. People don't want to do that.

In the state of California they print on the bottom "any false statements is a felony", I don't know if Nevada is the same way.

When I applied for a contractor's license, I sent in an extra reference from my mom. My own mother was afraid to write me a reference after she read the "felony" part, and everything I wanted her to say was completely true. They tossed it anyways. Nevada pre-solved that "loophole" by saying no relatives.

The thing that really pissed me off is, dishonest people who know dishonest people breeze through this step. Dishonest people know the state isn't going to charge them with a felony for filling out a form. Honest people want no part in it. "Oh yeah, he was plumber back in Laos for 15 years! No problem" (and the guy is 18 years old). These state rules practically ensure that dishonest people will be the contractor.

Another small little detail is the state of Nevada says they want detailed dates employment. So what's wrong with that?

People today , in service jobs bounce around from job to job. If you work in the business for a year but were laid off for 2 months, then you only have 10 months experience. To get 5 years experience you need to be on the job probably 7.

The reason why most people want to try to be a contractor, is because they're not getting enough work from their employers.

You ace all the tests but they reject your license due to meaningless requirements, and collect your fees.

The government is slamming the door on the youth of this country. We need serious changes in government

Any contractor is usually licensed by the state they plan to live in and work in, especially in the construction trades. For decades now electricians and plumbers work for 4 years, under an apprenticeship and then are eligible to take a state exam to get a Journeyman's license, and then there are separate requirements to get a Master's electrical license. Education after that consists of every 3 years 12 or more hours of additional schooling and tests to meet new electric codes. Upon completion of this their license is renewed.

This is through-out the construction industry and it's for a good reason. You don't want your home burning down or the roof caving in (after you move in.) So what's your point?

Really, I built my own house, did everything from the subterranean plumbing to the roof cap, no problems outside of normal maintenance. I wired a friends two story home in CO back in the 70's, of course he told the inspector he did it himself, the inspector complemented him on the work and passed it with no corrections needed. I've never worked as an electrician. It's a govt scam to get all the license fees.
So you would be comfortable with anyone being a contractor no matter how many consumers were stiffed in your field of expertise that you depended on to make money? I happen to own a prestigious certification that makes me as an expert in my field. I command top dollar for my services. If everyone could do what i do I would be unable to earn as much as I do.
That piece of paper is worthless. Your skill & references are all any consumer should be concerned with. I've been voted the top remodeling contractor 8 of the last 10 years and was on the cover of KC Homes & Gardens years ago. Those are nice bragging rights but unless to a consumer seeking actual knowledge about my skill set

That piece of paper is worthless. Your skill & references are all any consumer should be concerned with. I've been voted the top remodeling contractor 8 of the last 10 years and was on the cover of KC Homes & Gardens years ago. Those are nice bragging rights but unless to a consumer seeking actual knowledge about my skill set

Well, I think I know what I am talking about. I am a retired licensed Electrical Contractor. No your references don't mean Jack shit. You have to be licensed in many construction trades, and if you're stupid enough to hire a non-licensed person--who will not have General Liability insurance, and let them do the work and your house burns down, there's no homeowner property insurance that is going to cover you for faulty workmanship. The Electrical contractors general liability insurance covers you for that.

This is why construction trades are licensed and INSURED.

Last edited:

Not really. Once i got it my salary doubled and I went to almost 200k a year. Of course now its more my time in the field and the fact that get called for projects since I am a known and proven entity. The test is not easy to pass and most fail it the first time that they even attempt it.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable requirement to me. With all the scam artists and functionally illiterate contractors posing as professionals this is a good measure to stop the not up to code work a lot of these guys do. The good ones will make more money as a result.

the reference requirement does nothing to stop frauds, it actually promotes them

Well, I think I know what I am talking about. I am a retired licensed Electrical Contractor. No your references don't mean Jack shit. You have to be licensed in many construction trades, and if you're stupid enough to hire a non-licensed person--who will not have General Liability insurance, and let them do the work and your house burns down, there no insurance that is going to cover you for that loss.
A license doesn't mean you do good or safe work. It just means you passed a test or payed a fee. And dunno wtf insurance has to do with this thread.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable requirement to me. With all the scam artists and functionally illiterate contractors posing as professionals this is a good measure to stop the not up to code work a lot of these guys do. The good ones will make more money as a result.

the reference requirement does nothing to stop frauds, it actually promotes them

I'm not understanding why an honest person would be hesitant to give you a good reference no matter what the paper said about felonies? On the other hand i would see where a dishonest person would be hesitant because he/she probably has other illegal things going on that might draw the attention of the state.

I'm not understanding why an honest person would be hesitant to give you a good reference no matter what the paper said about felonies? On the other hand i would see where a dishonest person would be hesitant because he/she probably has other illegal things going on that might draw the attention of the state.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

reality is the opposite

I'm saying you don't need a PHD to do construction contracting and you don't have to know everything about every trade you will hire to do the job. I had a small construction business for 4 years after I retired form the military, I know how to do concrete, but I don't like doing it so I subcontracted that portion of the job. Never had a dissatisfied customer, I closed it because people don't want to pay for quality. So don't expect me to put down shoddy contractors, people love their prices and they get what they pay for. I say let them have what they demand and let it blow away the first storm that comes up.

I'm saying you don't need a PHD to do construction contracting and you don't have to know everything about every trade you will hire to do the job. I had a small construction business for 4 years after I retired form the military, I know how to do concrete, but I don't like doing it so I subcontracted that portion of the job. Never had a dissatisfied customer, I closed it because people don't want to pay for quality. So don't expect me to put down shoddy contractors, people love their prices and they get what they pay for. I say let them have what they demand and let it blow away the first storm that comes up.

Concrete contractors only have to be registered with the building department in Colorado. As a concrete contractor you are required to have General Liability insurance and workman's compensation coverage if you have one or more employees. You are not per-say licensed--like Electricans/Plumbers who are required to have 4 years on the job training--2 years residential 2 years commercial that is written and documented by their employers prior to them being able to take the exam for a Journeyman's license. Now they have a residential wireman's license that is two years on the job training for only residential work. After that & to open up your own business you are required to have a Master's license-(requiring that you have held a Journeyman's license for certain period of time and as a Job Foreman) and then you are allowed to take the Master's examination.

All trades are different in licensing procedures, and each state has their own requirements regarding contractor licensing. But they are there for a reason. While at times I thought they overdid with code changes--you don't want to mess around with unlicensed contractors without expecting to pay a much bigger price later.

As far as side jobs in Concrete--hey---that's up to the individual, if you're just pouring a slab or are you doing a foundation. There's lots of stupid people out there, that claim to be someone they're not. It is the responsibility of the owner to know who they're dealing with--and it only takes one phone call to the Building department to check and see if they're actually licensed and insured.

Last edited:
Arkanass started doing that crap also and includes the need for a contractors licence for anything over 2k...

Electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc. require special licenses in trades that need to be certified. Most do not, not carpenters, painters, drywallers, etc.

The problem I saw with Nevada's is you'd have to go back to companies you either quit or got fired from for references. Or customers if you were self employed but how do you operate legally without a license?

In WA State it's just a matter of forking over money one bonded and insured for non certified, special license trades. Otherwise you have to pass a test with enough time in but I haven't heard about demanding past references. That does sound like a good ole boy network.

Forum List

Back