Conservatives riled up over registering women for draft

Good for your daughter...I can guarantee my daughters have no interest in being in the military and magic thinking wont make them good soldiers, it simply will get them and the rest dead quicker

Do you really believe all women are at the front with fighting men?
I may have been in the military over fifty years ago, but we had enlisted women serving in the hospital, personnel, Supply and Mess Hall. Things haven't changed that much....

The Senate’s NDAA, which the committee approved on July 21, contains an amendment by the panel's chairman, Jack Reed of Rhode Island, that would require women to sign up with Selective Service, just as men do between the ages of 18 and 25. If enacted, women could be drafted into military service in the event of a national emergency, though there is no prospect of that on the horizon, and no American has been drafted in nearly half a century.

If the bill became law in its present form, women would have to start registering one year after enactment of the NDAA, a knowledgeable Senate aide told CQ Roll Call.

But while most of the committee's Republicans voted for the amendment, five voted no, senators and aides disclosed. And two of them, who normally are strong advocates for supporting the military — Tom Cotton of Arkansas and Josh Hawley of Missouri — voted against the Pentagon authorization bill because of their concerns about the draft issue, their aides revealed Friday.

I continue to maintain the position that this is not equality. The pretense that it is pisses me off. It's about expendability. That said, my son is not expendable by virtue of being male.
Not sure I understand your premise.
BUT
This is something that should have been done 50 years ago.
As it exists it clearly discriminates based on gender and is in violation of the Constitution and several SCOTUS decisions.
Creating a crime so you can punish people because of their gender?

It's 2021, not 1635.

Ah well,.. I'm thirty-one and currently have no children so right now this doesn't concern me.
And there it is...
Without knowing anything else about you, just from that single sentence I can state with confidence that you claim to be a conservative Republican.

These folks and you can count Kasich and Cheney among them oppose or ignore social change until it impacts them directly.

You don't care about the discrimination men face if they don't register?
You don't care about the fact that the registration is unconstitutional?
You don't care that the lie that women are unfit to serve is repeated?

No, of course not. doesn't impact you personally.

I may have been in the military over fifty years ago, but we had enlisted women serving in the hospital, personnel, Supply and Mess Hall. Things haven't changed that much....

Wrong!

My daughter started out as a transportation platoon leader responsible for leading convoys in supplying Forward Operating Bases (FOBs). My daughter's classmate was in the filed artillery. My niece is on a guided missile submarine as a Chief (E-7).

Yesterday, my daughter assumed command of a transportation unit where one-half of the soldiers are female. She relieved a male commander, and her battalion commander is also a female LTCOL. Fully half of her battalion's fellow commanders are female.

You sir, are out dated in your thinking.

I'm not questioning ability. It's not about whether or not women can do the job. We have been watching this play out for the past five years.

And there it is...
Without knowing anything else about you, just from that single sentence I can state with confidence that you claim to be a conservative Republican.

These folks and you can count Kasich and Cheney among them oppose or ignore social change until it impacts them directly.

You don't care about the discrimination men face if they don't register?
You don't care about the fact that the registration is unconstitutional?
You don't care that the lie that women are unfit to serve is repeated?

No, of course not. doesn't impact you personally.

I care about them there's just nothing I can do about it and it doesn't impact me so why should I worry about it was more what I was saying.

Wrong!

My daughter started out as a transportation platoon leader responsible for leading convoys in supplying Forward Operating Bases (FOBs). My daughter's classmate was in the field artillery. My niece is on a guided missile submarine as a Chief (E-7).

Yesterday, my daughter assumed command of a transportation unit where one-half of the soldiers are female. She relieved a male commander, and her battalion commander is also a female LTCOL. Fully half of her battalion's fellow commanders are female.

You sir, are out dated in your thinking.

I'm not questioning the abilities of women. As you've describe what women are doing in the higher ranks is admirable... That is why I find that women should also be subject to the U.S. conscription laws. The service of women in the military is just as worthy as men serving in the military, but not on the front lines.

Last edited:
Please...big push on to get more into combat and if you had a draft with women included you would be forced to fill more combat roles with them than now

Please...big push on to get more into combat and if you had a draft with women included you would be forced to fill more combat roles with them than now

I think that transgenders would be able to fulfill that role as long as they don't wear high heels. :hyper:
Women could continue to do their jobs in the rear....

I'm not questioning the abilities of women. As you've describe what women are doing in the higher ranks is admirable... That is why I find that women should also be subject to the U.S. conscription laws. The service of women in the military is just as worthy as men serving in the military, but not on the front lines.

Doc, there is no such thing as "front lines" anymore. A young man from my neighborhood was killed on one of our major bases in Afghanistan in a rocket attack.

Ali-Wong-Netflix-Baby-Cobra-700x525-1.jpg

Forum List

Back