Conservatives, I implore you: Do not use the Dobbs case as a springboard to get gay marriage banned

The Govt has no place in religious institutions, but it does in civil ones. Not all marriages are religious. Using your fucked up logic two atheist could never be married.

I am all for getting rid of all benefits to marriage and child bearing and home owning and college going and all the rest. But until we do the Govt cannot discriminate who gets those things based on sex.

We'll see if that's your opinion when brother and sister want to marry, or father and daughter.

I have plenty.

I only know about a 8 maybe 10 same sex couples and none have been divorced yet. But I guess there is still time.

Compare that to our son, of which out of all of his friends, a couple dozen, he is the only one whose parents are still together

Here's my reasoning: The Obergefell case, making it mandatory for states to recognize gay marriage has little basis in the constitution, I get that. States have always had the power to regulate marriage, with little interference from the federal government. But I am still glad the court decided it that way for two reasons:

1 - as a libertarian, I believe that people should be able to marry who they choose, as long as both adults, or reasonably close. The states would have been very slow in granting that right protection. Yes, I believe marrying the person that you choose is a natural right, and so it would arguably be in the penumbra of rights in the constitution.

2 - If Obergefell is overturned by what I proudly call the Trump court that overturned Roe, the left will have some justification for their claim that the court is being activist by ignoring precedent.

3 - If Obergefell is overturned, many states will recognize same-sex marriage on their own. Then the "full faith and credit" clause will force the most conservative of states to accept marriages licensed in California, just as states with an 18 year old minimum age must accept marriages licensed in states with a 16 year old minimum age.

If Obergefell is overturned, the left gains new ammo. Deep in their leftie hearts, they always knew that abortion rights are not in the constitution. Their anger at the Dobbs decision is not borne of shock, but of the final eventuality of what they knew was coming.

Don't give them ammo, and alienate gay conservatives, which could lead to court stacking that could bring Roe right back.
Seymour, I get what you are saying, but the thing is that SCOTUS should give their rulings based on nothing but the constitutionality of any given issue....Political concerns have nothing to do with that...Unless of course it is a leftist, progressive court....

"If Obergefell is overturned, the left gains new ammo."
So, what you are saying is not to rock the boat because the left will have a hissy fit over it....I say tough shit....

Why is marriage licensed anyway? As if there are plenty of couples out there living together, raising children, and living "married life" without a license....Are they being arrested?

The question is ... "Why should the state have the power to dictate anything about marriage given that it is a personal choice between consenting adults?".

Then we all need to be working to get the Fed Govt to remove all benefits that come with marriage.

I only know about a 8 maybe 10 same sex couples and none have been divorced yet. But I guess there is still time.

Compare that to our son, of which out of all of his friends, a couple dozen, he is the only one whose parents are still together
Is that you coming out?

So that the couples can receive the benefits that come with that license.
Mortgage interest deduction eliminated, most deductions eliminated....So, why not just institute the flat tax and be done with it.

Oh, and since we're on it....Let's move tax day to the Friday before election day.....Then people could have fresh in their minds what they just had to pay....

See, this is where you err. There is only one morality for all of us. And one definition of immorality is an action that results in very bad consequences for individuals and society. Some immorality is obvious and some is not. And that is why we need, say the Catholic Church, to help us with the ones that are not obvious. Masturbation is a perfect example. To the irreligious, masturbation doesn't seem have any negatives. But to the educated mind, we see it leads to apathy, laziness, and robs the desire to 'do what it takes' to make relationships go forward. It also turns people inward, makes them selfish, makes them obsess on gratification. It's the opposite of sharing.
Now you fundies are going to outlaw masturbation?

Welcome to Gilead folks

Relax. You are a jerkoff and your masturbatory habits are perfectly safe.

Damn, but you’re a drama Queen.
There are two types of people.

Those who masturbate and those who lie about it

And your masturbatory habits won’t be interfered with by any new laws. You do however remain a jerkoff
So you're in the "lie about it" category...AND you're an asshole to boot

Ohhh

So you're in the "lie about it" category...AND you're an asshole to boot

Ohhh
We were talking about you. I haven’t made any claim about it one way or the other.

You do seem unduly interested, though, Letch.

Anyway, as usual, your constant troll behavior has you off topic. Thrill us all with your acumen. Does Dobbs constitute a threat to gay rights as determined by Obgerfell as you see it? If so, how and why?

Absolutely....You know what would solve that? The flat tax.

have you ever voted for anyone that supported such a tax?

Mortgage interest deduction eliminated, most deductions eliminated....So, why not just institute the flat tax and be done with it.

I am all for it. I think that taxes should be able to be done on a post card for individuals/couples. In fact I do not even know why we have to file them as a great many countries do not and the IRS already knows everything we are telling them if we got rid of all tax expenditures.

The current system is being fucked up. In 2021 the IRS cashed the check I sent in to cover my taxes for 2020 and then 5 months later told me I had not filed for 2020.

We were talking about you. I haven’t made any claim about it one way or the other.

You do seem unduly interested, though, Letch.

Anyway, as usual, your constant troll behavior has you off topic. Thrill us all with your acumen. Does Dobbs constitute a threat to gay rights as determined by Obgerfell as you see it? If so, how and why?
This Supreme Court and this Republican Party pose a threat to gay rights

Forum List

Back