Consequence Culture - Gina Carano, Colin Kaepernick, The Dixie Chicks and Jane Fonda

Well, to start with, it's actually there to punish criminals. Now, if he was using these funds to buy things for himself, um, yeah... totally with you, that would be theft.

That doesn't answer my question. What would you do to someone who was stealing thousands of dollars from your company?

He was buying things trying to generate sales for your company.

No, fuckwad, he wasn't.

You're a fucking idiot. I'd put you on "ignore" but then I wouldn't be able to see what intellectually bankrupt bullshit you post next...

Well, was kapernick fired because of a pressure campaign against his employers by a group of people who decided they didn't like what he did? If so, then yes, it was canceled culture.

I think Carano was canceled. They say Disney was looking for a reason to fire her anyway, but that doesn't make sense because it appears Disney was looking to give her her own series up until that point. You wouldnt do that if you were looking for a way to fire her.

I suspect that what happened there was they did have big plans to build a new series around her character, but then she kept saying really stupid shit. Then the problem became her comments being a bigger deal than the show itself... so she had to go.

That doesn't answer my question. What would you do to someone who was stealing thousands of dollars from your company?

If it was actual stealing, I'd fire them.
If it was a misunderstanding, because of poor direction, I might review what went wrong there and fix it so it doesn't happen again.

What I wouldn't do is file criminal charges, or ruin the man's career because I get off on making other people suffer, like you apparently do.

No, fuckwad, he wasn't.

You're a fucking idiot. I'd put you on "ignore" but then I wouldn't be able to see what intellectually bankrupt bullshit you post next...

So he was buying stuff for someone at your customer... for fun? Was the buyer over there really hot and he was trying to get into her panties? Did he think the VP over there looked peckish.... You see, what you haven't told anyone was WHY he did what he did, which tells me that you are leaving THAT part of the story out because it doesn't make you look very good.

Well, was kapernick fired because of a pressure campaign against his employers by a group of people who decided they didn't like what he did? If so, then yes, it was canceled culture.

I think Carano was canceled. They say Disney was looking for a reason to fire her anyway, but that doesn't make sense because it appears Disney was looking to give her her own series up until that point. You wouldnt do that if you were looking for a way to fire her.

I suspect that what happened there was they did have big plans to build a new series around her character, but then she kept saying really stupid shit. Then the problem became her comments being a bigger deal than the show itself... so she had to go.
Well, I never did follow the whole timeline. I didn't even know who Carano was until I started watching the mandalorian. My initial impression was there was no action against Carano until the left started posting on Twitter, THEN Disney fired her, and came out and said "well, we were looking for a way to fire her anyway".

First, "looking for a way" to fire someone, and then firing them because of the demands of the crowd can still mean they fired her because of the crowds demands. It may be that Disney wasn't actually going to use her tweets as a way to remove her, even if they were looking for a way, but when the crowd demanded it, Disney just used that as an excuse.

Kind of like how coca cola has been silent about the Georgia law until the threat of a boycot from the left started making waves, then coca cola came out and made a statement. They may have preferred to stay out of it, but were forced into making a statement to ward off a potential boycot.

Same with Disney, they may not have actually been bothered by her tweets, but when the left started making waves, her tweets suddenly became the focal point.

If it was actual stealing, I'd fire them.
If it was a misunderstanding, because of poor direction, I might review what went wrong there and fix it so it doesn't happen again.

It was actual stealing, so I fired him.

There was no "misunderstanding"...

What I wouldn't do is file criminal charges, or ruin the man's career because I get off on making other people suffer, like you apparently do.

Not interested in making him suffer. I was completely interested in holding him accountable...

So he was buying stuff for someone at your customer... for fun? Was the buyer over there really hot and he was trying to get into her panties? Did he think the VP over there looked peckish.... You see, what you haven't told anyone was WHY he did what he did, which tells me that you are leaving THAT part of the story out because it doesn't make you look very good.

No, the details are unimportant because nothing; nothing could make what he did excusable. The details, like you, don't matter...

Well, I never did follow the whole timeline. I didn't even know who Carano was until I started watching the mandalorian. My initial impression was there was no action against Carano until the left started posting on Twitter, THEN Disney fired her, and came out and said "well, we were looking for a way to fire her anyway".

First, "looking for a way" to fire someone, and then firing them because of the demands of the crowd can still mean they fired her because of the crowds demands. It may be that Disney wasn't actually going to use her tweets as a way to remove her, even if they were looking for a way, but when the crowd demanded it, Disney just used that as an excuse.

I don't know if they were looking for an excuse to fire her. They probably didn't need an excuse, she wasn't the star of the show. They could have just written her out or got another actress to play the character. I think it was exactly the opposite, they were looking to build this new series around her character, but then she started saying stupid shit on Twitter. The kind of shit that brings controversy when you are trying to make a fun space adventure for the whole family.

Star Wars was a 4 Billion Dollar investment for Disney, which probably means there are a lot of eyes on it to make sure nothing has gone wrong, and a lot of stuff has gone wrong with it. (LIke the entire Sequel Trilogy, which is hated by a lot of fans.) the last thing they need is a third-tier character actress bringing them more grief.

Kind of like how coca cola has been silent about the Georgia law until the threat of a boycot from the left started making waves, then coca cola came out and made a statement. They may have preferred to stay out of it, but were forced into making a statement to ward off a potential boycot.

Um, yeah. Not even the same thing. This is holding a company responsible for it's actions. You can't enjoy operating in Georgia and then say you are okay with the states outright attempt to reinstitute Jim Crow.

No, the details are unimportant because nothing; nothing could make what he did excusable. The details, like you, don't matter...

If the details didn't matter, you'd share them... the point is, you are leaving whole bunches of this story out, changing your narrative to paint yourself as the good guy... frankly, it makes me a little suspicious.

I don't know if they were looking for an excuse to fire her. They probably didn't need an excuse, she wasn't the star of the show. They could have just written her out or got another actress to play the character. I think it was exactly the opposite, they were looking to build this new series around her character, but then she started saying stupid shit on Twitter. The kind of shit that brings controversy when you are trying to make a fun space adventure for the whole family.

Star Wars was a 4 Billion Dollar investment for Disney, which probably means there are a lot of eyes on it to make sure nothing has gone wrong, and a lot of stuff has gone wrong with it. (LIke the entire Sequel Trilogy, which is hated by a lot of fans.) the last thing they need is a third-tier character actress bringing them more grief.

Um, yeah. Not even the same thing. This is holding a company responsible for it's actions. You can't enjoy operating in Georgia and then say you are okay with the states outright attempt to reinstitute Jim Crow.
This is holding a company responsible for it's actions. You can't enjoy operating in Georgia and then say you are okay with the states outright attempt to reinstitute Jim Crow.

Holding coke responsible for what actions? Also, sure you can operate in Georgia and be silent. Because coke didn't make a statement isn't an endorsement of the law, some people just prefer to not get involved. There is no legal or moral obligation for anyone to make a statement about anything.

For a business, some would prefer to just stay out of it because if you do make a statement, you risk potentially upsetting some of your customers, while remaining silent, they hope they can just keep their head down and not upset anyone.

This is where cancel culture comes in. Coke probably was just minding their own business and wasn't prepared to say anything, and the left decided to force them into action by threatening a boycot. This in turn will put pressure on politicians to make changes to the law, because they don't want to upset a major company like that, one that brings in so much revenue to the state. Same with American airlines hub.

Holding coke responsible for what actions? Also, sure you can operate in Georgia and be silent. Because coke didn't make a statement isn't an endorsement of the law, some people just prefer to not get involved. There is no legal or moral obligation for anyone to make a statement about anything.

History is full of moral tragedies because someone "didn't take a stand".

1617366592532.png

This is where cancel culture comes in. Coke probably was just minding their own business and wasn't prepared to say anything, and the left decided to force them into action by threatening a boycot. This in turn will put pressure on politicians to make changes to the law, because they don't want to upset a major company like that, one that brings in so much revenue to the state. Same with American airlines hub.

Awesome. I don't see a problem with this. The real problem is that big business has been underwriting the GOP and their attacks on the working class for years... So maybe we need to hold them responsible when their dog gets off the leash.

View attachment 475363

Awesome. I don't see a problem with this. The real problem is that big business has been underwriting the GOP and their attacks on the working class for years... So maybe we need to hold them responsible when their dog gets off the leash.

View attachment 475363

Are you suggesting that people should be able to force another person, or company, into taking a stand? How is that moral? I think people should be able to decide for themselves what and where they want to make their voices heard, or not heard. I mean, sure, there is nothing illegal about the left organizing against a company, but do you think that's how businesses want to operate? Always under the gun from the political whims of the crowd?

I agree, NO business should influence politics, but you are suggesting you don't have a problem with coke putting pressure on politicians? Does this mean you also don't have a problem with the NRA putting pressure on politicians?

Are you suggesting that people should be able to force another person, or company, into taking a stand? How is that moral? I think people should be able to decide for themselves what and where they want to make their voices heard, or not heard. I mean, sure, there is nothing illegal about the left organizing against a company, but do you think that's how businesses want to operate? Always under the gun from the political whims of the crowd?

Naw, they are perfectly able to be craven cowards and have no one buy their products. The problem here is that they are complicite in Georgia's violation of political and civil rights by NOT saying something.

I agree, NO business should influence politics, but you are suggesting you don't have a problem with coke putting pressure on politicians? Does this mean you also don't have a problem with the NRA putting pressure on politicians?

I have a problem with the NRA's existence.

It's an issue of being good corporate citizens. the Georgia voting law is a travesty designed to keep people of color from voting. You can't be neutral on an issue like that.

Naw, they are perfectly able to be craven cowards and have no one buy their products. The problem here is that they are complicite in Georgia's violation of political and civil rights by NOT saying something.

It's an issue of being good corporate citizens. the Georgia voting law is a travesty designed to keep people of color from voting. You can't be neutral on an issue like that.

No, they are not complicit. Like I said, nobody is morally obligated to do or say anything. The left, however, doesn't see it that way. You guys are a "if your not with us, you're against us" type of mentality. "If we don't like what you're doing, we're going to drag you into our agenda, whether you like it or not"

How about just let a business be a business and if they want to stay out of it, they just stay out of it.

How do you know they are neutral? One can take a side without being public about it. Why do you guys insist that people publicly make their side known?

By the way, isn't there a term for someone who tries to influence a politician via threat of force? Forcing coke to threaten economic hardship to Georgia and the politicians of that state, and the people of that state...thats akin to treason right? Using threats to enact change in politics? I'm pretty sure thats wrong...

No, they are not complicit. Like I said, nobody is morally obligated to do or say anything. The left, however, doesn't see it that way. You guys are a "if your not with us, you're against us" type of mentality. "If we don't like what you're doing, we're going to drag you into our agenda, whether you like it or not"

How about just let a business be a business and if they want to stay out of it, they just stay out of it.

People have stayed out of it for much too long, that's the problem.

The problem is that if Coke wants to enjoy the benefits of America, they need to stand up for America.

People have stayed out of it for much too long, that's the problem.

The problem is that if Coke wants to enjoy the benefits of America, they need to stand up for America.
Again, "if you don't succumb to our desires, we're going to cancel you"

Does this mean if ordinary people don't stand in your corner, you're going to punish them too?

I wasn't aware that political activism was required to be a citizen.

If the details didn't matter, you'd share them... the point is, you are leaving whole bunches of this story out, changing your narrative to paint yourself as the good guy... frankly, it makes me a little suspicious.

The color of my shirt doesn't matter, and you're not whining about that.

The pertinent points have been posted.

You're obviously someone who is a weak leader. You're obviously afraid to hold someone accountable.

You're a wannabe', but you never will.

And, for the record, I'm on the front end of a six week road trip across the country and back, so my replies will be sporadic (if at all). See, that's what being successful can afford you: the opportunity to step back and enjoy life. Maybe one day you'll get to enjoy that...

I only saw a few episodes toward the end visiting one my children. When she was on the screen it was hard not to notice her.

Does this mean if ordinary people don't stand in your corner, you're going to punish them too?

Businesses aren't ordinary citizens. Next lame argument.

You're obviously someone who is a weak leader. You're obviously afraid to hold someone accountable.

Yeah, but you keep hiding the most pertinant one of all- Why did he do it? which tells me that you really don't want to say why he did it, because it makes your leadership look bad. Either you didn't set clear expectations, or he thought he would be rewarded if his scheme worked.

That you've been dancing around this issue for two weeks now, tells me a lot.

Now, I've never had anyone under my supervision ever try anything like that... because they KNEW what my expectations were.

the right to say something doesn't absolve you of the ramifications for saying it. If that were true, you could walk up to your boss and call him a cocksucker and expect nothing to happen to you
Depends on what you mean as a 'boss'. If it is an owner of the business you are working for, then you may be right. If it is a hired manager who fails to fulfill his duties properly, then why not?

Businesses aren't ordinary citizens. Next lame argument.

Yeah, but you keep hiding the most pertinant one of all- Why did he do it? which tells me that you really don't want to say why he did it, because it makes your leadership look bad. Either you didn't set clear expectations, or he thought he would be rewarded if his scheme worked.

That you've been dancing around this issue for two weeks now, tells me a lot.

Now, I've never had anyone under my supervision ever try anything like that... because they KNEW what my expectations were.
No, but you are trying to force corporations into action, how long before you start demanding that other people take action?

No, but you are trying to force corporations into action, how long before you start demanding that other people take action?

Not soon enough. Maybe we should force people to take action.

Let's be clear what Georgia did here. Stacey Adams worked her butt off to get black folks to the polls, costing Republicans the Presidency and two senate seats.

Now, if the Republicans were DECENT human beings, they would try to change their message to win over more votes.

Naw, fuck that shit. We're just going to make it harder for black people to vote. Just like the good old days of poll taxes and literacy tests.

Forum List

Back