Compote

OsteInmar

Aug 22, 2018
I'm interested ..
In Russia, people grow fruits, then we eat them fresh, squeeze out the juice, cook jam from them and cook the compote.
Compote is to boil in the water fruits with sugar to get a drink that you can drink.

- You can make a compote every day or
- canned in large glass jars for the winter. Concentration can be large.
- freeze the fruit and then boil them out in the winter compote
- Dry the fruit and then cook from them ...

Do Americans do something similar?

I'm interested ..
In Russia, people grow fruits, then we eat them fresh, squeeze out the juice, cook jam from them and cook the compote.
Compote is to boil in the water fruits with sugar to get a drink that you can drink.

Generally, if they grew up in rural areas and had their own gardens and orchards, yes, we do something similar.

Matter of fact, I didn't really know what store bought food was when I was living with my Grandparents. We always had a garden that was huge, and we lived in an area where I could go sneak apples and peaches out of neighboring orchards.

And, in mid to late summer, we go out picking huckleberries and choke cherries.

• Banned
I'm interested ..

Generally, if they grew up in rural areas and had their own gardens and orchards, yes, we do something similar.

Matter of fact, I didn't really know what store bought food was when I was living with my Grandparents. We always had a garden that was huge, and we lived in an area where I could go sneak apples and peaches out of neighboring orchards.

And, in mid to late summer, we go out picking huckleberries and choke cherries.
Yes, I meant fruits grown in garden, not bought in the store.

I'm interested ..

Interesting how much sugar do you use?

We can peaches, rasberries, blackberries, and blueberries.

You don't have to cook strawberries, you just put a layer of sugar on them, let sit in fridge a few days, then freeze.

• Banned
I'm interested ..

Interesting how much sugar do you use?

It depends on the preferences, the variety of fruit and what concentration you want to get.
So many options.
For example, you can make a concentrated compote of 3 liters of sweet fruit. Put 5 large spoons of sugar. Preserve .. then, open in winter and dilute with water to normal.
But, from those same fruits, you can cook compote with 1 tablespoon of sugar and drink tonight.

We can peaches, rasberries, blackberries, and blueberries.

You don't have to cook strawberries, you just put a layer of sugar on them, let sit in fridge a few days, then freeze.
A good recipe.
But my grandmother from such strawberries cooked no compote, and stuffing for vareniki - it's pies with cottage cheese and strawberries

I'm interested ..

My great grandfather and grandfather annually planted three gardens. Two were potato, and the other was mixed vegetables: corn, onions, carrots, string beans, radishes, turnips, squash, tomatoes, cantaloupe, broccoli and watermelon. They also had a grapevine and peach and apple pear trees growing up on the hill and mulberry trees down below. Every year my great grandmother, along with the other women in the family, would can fruits and vegetables in jars, make jelly and apple butter; and the men would make grape, mulberry and dandelion wine and brandy. Since the deaths of my great and grand parents, no one has picked up the torch of planting and canning, and the family property--several hundred acres--was sold off in 2015.

Nowadays, we grow small vegetable and herb gardens, cure and smoke meat, etc. but it's nothing like those old days.

I'm interested ..

My great grandfather and grandfather annually planted three gardens. Two were potato, and the other was mixed vegetables: corn, onions, carrots, string beans, radishes, turnips, squash, tomatoes, cantaloupe, broccoli and watermelon. They also had a grapevine and peach and apple pear trees growing up on the hill and mulberry trees down below. Every year my great grandmother, along with the other women in the family, would can fruits and vegetables in jars, make jelly and apple butter; and the men would make grape, mulberry and dandelion wine and brandy. Since the deaths of my great and grand parents, no one has picked up the torch of planting and canning, and the family property--several hundred acres--was sold off in 2015.

Nowadays, we grow small vegetable and herb gardens, cure and smoke meat, etc. but it's nothing like those old days.
Thank you.
This is very sad. Everything was similar. My ancestors moved from the Urals (a cold place in the USSR) to Moldova, where it is warm. They had grapes, cherries, strawberries. Plants such as apricots, zherdeli, mulberry there grew on the streets, like weeds ... We made compotes and jams. Grandfather prepared wine from grapes. We had a huge cellar 5 meters underground.
In Moldova, pears, apples were so cheap that people simply fed them pigs, and in Moscow they were a deficit
But we did not sell it. It's just that in the early 80's they returned to the Urals, and then the USSR collapsed and Moldova became a different country.
Now we have a small plot of land near Moscow. The climate is cold, so there is not much fruit. We try to do something ..

I'm interested ..

Thank you.
This is very sad. Everything was similar. My ancestors moved from the Urals (a cold place in the USSR) to Moldova, where it is warm. They had grapes, cherries, strawberries. Plants such as apricots, zherdeli, mulberry there grew on the streets, like weeds ... We made compotes and jams. Grandfather prepared wine from grapes. We had a huge cellar 5 meters underground.
In Moldova, pears, apples were so cheap that people simply fed them pigs, and in Moscow they were a deficit
But we did not sell it. It's just that in the early 80's they returned to the Urals, and then the USSR collapsed and Moldova became a different country.
Now we have a small plot of land near Moscow. The climate is cold, so there is not much fruit. We try to do something ..

Fascinating to learn about other cultures. Thanks.

My grandparents had a "root cellar" under their house where they kept potatoes. It was accessed by a small wooden door off the basement they kept locked with a "hook and eye". They also had two barrels buried up to the openings in the ground in which they also kept potatoes. One summer they sent me up on the hill to get potatoes out of a barrel, and it was squirming inside with balls of garter snakes all wrapped around each other.

In the winter, after the edges of the creeks had frozen, my grandfather and I would walk along them breaking off chunks of ice, which we'd use to make homemade ice cream. They also had a couple of horizontal freezers to store extra food. And we'd also walk the railroad tracks picking up buckets full of walnuts.

I'm interested ..

Thank you.

Fascinating to learn about other cultures. Thanks.

My grandparents had a "root cellar" under their house where they kept potatoes. It was accessed by a small wooden door off the basement they kept locked with a "hook and eye". They also had two barrels buried up to the openings in the ground in which they also kept potatoes. One summer they sent me up on the hill to get potatoes out of a barrel, and it was squirming inside with balls of garter snakes all wrapped around each other.

In the winter, after the edges of the creeks had frozen, my grandfather and I would walk along them breaking off chunks of ice, which we'd use to make homemade ice cream. They also had a couple of horizontal freezers to store extra food. And we'd also walk the railroad tracks picking up buckets full of walnuts.
Oh yeah..
Now, the cellar is my dream.
We live in a very humid area, where you can not dig a cellar. I saw that they were selling cellars made of plastic, but for now I doubt it.
My late Aunt had a cellar under the shed. He had a house in which it was always hot, so he slept in this barn above the cellar. It's cool there.
My great-grandmother had a glacier cellar. The ice there was stored all summer and frozen meat. It was in the early 20th century.

Forum List

Back