Complaints Complaints! Solutions?

Primarily becuase this land was developed over the last 250 years by letting the private sector sort things out....and it always does.

Any government solution is, first of all, a gamble, and second of all, nothing more than larger government.

And we all know what government run "anything" is like.

Yes, we all know that government does a lot of things it should not do, and does a lot things poorly, in any case. But, government has a role to play, mostly like the umpires in sports. Otherwise the players will bring knives and guns onto the field, and engage in every negative thing imaginable. Society without government regulation is like a ghetto with no laws. Is that what you want. It seems like that is what you are saying. Perhaps you should be careful what you say.

Government in this country has produced fantastic things that the private sector would never have produced and could never have produced.

1. Our railroad system.
2. Our defense.
3. Our space exploration.
4. Our system of self government.
5. And many other things too many to mention.

The whole matter of the PROPER role of government is a good discussion to have, but it can't start with those who want NO government.

Serious discussion on the web gets buried.

The web is like electoral politics. Loud mouths and assholes get to speak on an equal footing as the rest of us.:eusa_whistle:

Bad government got us into this hole, and good government will have to get us out.

We used to have a society that was non-governmental ran by heads of families, churches, neighborhoods and employers.

All of these have had their power stripped from them, by popular acclamation, and so now all that stands between us and total chaos is GOVERNMENT.

We can't reduce government without restoring the power of these antecedents, which no one wants to do. So, all the Libertarian Beck crazies in the world are screaming for a return to the old days, without any of the authoritarian structure of the old days. They long for a world that never was and never can be, where there is no authority over the individual. They all belong in a nut house.

All I hear is "Ain't it Awful, Ain't it Awful!" Does anyone have any realistic solutions, or does anyone want to hear any solutions? Is it just Cry, Cry, Cry, or is anyone serious about fixing these things in a comprehensive manner. I, personally, hear no threads or posts devoted to fixing anything.

When I propose solutions, all anyone wants to do is knock them down on one pretext or another. How can we make progress when we have no interest in solutions?

Am I living in a cry baby world of, me, me, me? No one wants to change THEIR conduct or give up any little sugar they have, or give up their little piece of cheese.

What's going on here?

Is this a spoiled, money hungry nation, in love with money as the Bible says?
Ronald Reagan's myth that government was not the solution, but the problem can take some credit for things..take that and the lack of teaching to and nurturing of critical thinking skills in our elementary schools and here we are.

Some people who grew up or came of age during the 80s think Free Markets and Capitalism are a cure for all evils. 80s whiners and others assume progressive politics equals liberalism. They live with a world view that premises an us vs them mentality and it takes opposition as an enemy camp.

The world view I speak of posits that the enemy of my enemy is my friend and that everything from simple local politics to morality and ideology are death battles. Compromise is a dirty, evil phrase.

In short, the mind set I speak of is as anti-Americana s it gets. Unlike the era of the founding fathers and a few later generations, we have no profiles in courage to brave the wrath of mob democracy.

We are living in/through interesting times.

peace out
:cool:
dD

Is this a spoiled, money hungry nation, in love with money as the Bible says?

Yes.

The average old person would gladly sell their children, or grandchildren into slavery to get 5 dollars more on their SS check. How the mighty have fallen, Babylon the Great is falling.

True, that attitude is prevalent and it is what people like Glenn Beck prey on.

That and the whole idiocy that we should not leave a debt to our children or grand children...these conflicting ideas...are what are tearing the national discourse into shreds.

This country was built and kept growing by generations who looked after each other. Not by people who were selfish and self centered.

Yes, we all know that government does a lot of things it should not do, and does a lot things poorly, in any case. But, government has a role to play, mostly like the umpires in sports. Otherwise the players will bring knives and guns onto the field, and engage in every negative thing imaginable. Society without government regulation is like a ghetto with no laws. Is that what you want. It seems like that is what you are saying. Perhaps you should be careful what you say.

Government in this country has produced fantastic things that the private sector would never have produced and could never have produced.

1. Our railroad system.
2. Our defense.
3. Our space exploration.
4. Our system of self government.
5. And many other things too many to mention.

The whole matter of the PROPER role of government is a good discussion to have, but it can't start with those who want NO government.

The web is like electoral politics. Loud mouths and assholes get to speak on an equal footing as the rest of us.:eusa_whistle:

Bad government got us into this hole, and good government will have to get us out.

We used to have a society that was non-governmental ran by heads of families, churches, neighborhoods and employers.

All of these have had their power stripped from them, by popular acclamation, and so now all that stands between us and total chaos is GOVERNMENT.

We can't reduce government without restoring the power of these antecedents, which no one wants to do. So, all the Libertarian Beck crazies in the world are screaming for a return to the old days, without any of the authoritarian structure of the old days. They long for a world that never was and never can be, where there is no authority over the individual. They all belong in a nut house.

:cool:

:clap2:

Politics.

Yes, politics. It takes political involvement to solve anything. Are people just too lazy to be involved in politics, and just too money hungry to contribute to worthwhile causes that are trying to solve problems, not create more?

Money hungry?

Let me explain how I, a conservative, sees healthcare.

I am 100% for the way it is now...the taxpayer (like me) pay for those without insurance to use the ER. I dont mind it as I know that if the government gets involved, it may cost me less tax wise, but it will result in bigger government...which is not what this country was founded on.

So contrary to your "money hungry" comment...I am willing to spend money to maintain the sanctity of our republic.

Sorry. Has nothing to do with my hunger for money....AT ALL.

Let's get a few things straight: Health Care is not an industry, it is at best charitable welfare, and if the government is good at anything it is good as handing out welfare.

Nor is health care a business, therefore, none of the rules that apply to business apply to health care. If every aspect of health care disappeared tomorrow the nation's economy would not suffer but rather radically improve. Health care takes, but produces nothing.

The military medical corp should be given the job of providing basic medical care for the underclass who have no insurance, and the rest of society who don't want that level of care can buy what they want on the open market where the government would play no role of any sort.

The best health care I ever had was in the military in its purely socialized medical care system.

We are spending way, way, too much on medical care in this country, and it should be reduced by at least 80 percent.

The cost of health care alone is destroying the country. It went from 2 percent of GDP in 1950 to close to 20% today, and heading to 100%. This is insane.

Legal costs also went from 2% to 20% today, and headed also to 100% of GDP.

We need to knock both these criminal rackets in head with a hammer to stop them ripping off the nation. They are two totally worthless parasites on the nation.

Now scream....

Let's get a few things straight: Health Care is not an industry, it is at best charitable welfare, and if the government is good at anything it is good as handing out welfare.

Nor is health care a business, therefore, none of the rules that apply to business apply to health care. If every aspect of health care disappeared tomorrow the nation's economy would not suffer but rather radically improve. Health care takes, but produces nothing.

The military medical corp should be given the job of providing basic medical care for the underclass who have no insurance, and the rest of society who don't want that level of care can buy what they want on the open market where the government would play no role of any sort.

The best health care I ever had was in the military in its purely socialized medical care system.

We are spending way, way, too much on medical care in this country, and it should be reduced by at least 80 percent.

The cost of health care alone is destroying the country. It went from 2 percent of GDP in 1950 to close to 20% today, and heading to 100%. This is insane.

We need to knock both these criminal rackets in head with a hammer to stop them ripping off the nation. They are two totally worthless parasites on the nation.

Now scream....

Insurance is an industry. I have asked numerous times here and elsewhere, for anyone to explain why the markets or reason demand a for profit health insurance middle man.

No replies yet.

Beck knows a lot, BUT he does not know everything. He has serious holes in his thinking. Entertaining? Yes! Infallible? No!

Please, enlighten us most wise one. I mean you wouldn't want to complain about Beck without providing any solutions for the serious holes in his thinking would you?

Your attitude is such that I believe I would be wasting my time. You don't really want to know. That is clear. Fact is, I think you know so much there is nothing more you could possibly learn.

In other words, you don't have jack.

There is always more to learn. I've learned that people who pretend to be intelligent and above the fray who can't create an argument to support their viewpoint have nothing to begin with. They are also often the ones that dont see the flaws with their own points.

Now are you going to actually engage in discussion or dance around? I think my requests have been reasonable.

You say we need to work together to make progress: Where are we progressing to? We need some sort of goal in order to make progress toward it. Where are we supposed to be going. This is one of your main points in your original post. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask you to expound on this point.

You also said that Glenn has serious holes in his thinking. Yet you can't provide any examples of said holes. Is it unreasonable to ask that you back up your claims? If you are as enlightened as you've proclaimed yourself, it shouldn't be difficult. No one thinks perfectly, so I'm sure there are holes in everyones thinking. You learn how to recognize holes in your own thinking by seeing what others see and the holes in theirs.

Now, you could, as I suspect, be proclaiming your superior mental power as an excuse to dismiss anything Glenn says without actually addressing the points. Your claim of holes in his thinking could likely be your excuse to avoid discussion of unpleasant points he brings up. Then again, you could be honest and sincere. In which case, it shouldnt be difficult you to produce. That way everyone can be enlightened by your insight and we can continue on in our discussion better off for it.

Unfortunately, Ive seen your kind on these type of message boards quite a bit and I am not expecting serious discussion. it would be nice to see, but quite frankly, I'm starting to wonder if some people are capable of serious discussion. Sure, lots of people are good at pretending to be serious. But they avoid questions and refuse to provide some sort of examples for us to learn from each other.

And unfortunately, when serious discussions get buried, you show up and ensure that it stays there.

And unfortunately, when serious discussions get buried, you show up and ensure that it stays there.

If you bothered to take your head out of your ass you'd see where in my madness, there has always been a method.

Whenever I've posted a serious thread and had serious discussions, the shit shows up...hey...you smell familiar.

never mind

:eusa_whistle:

Let's get a few things straight: Health Care is not an industry...Nor is health care a business.

:eusa_eh:

Genomics lawsuits, big Pharma, medical patents, and significant pay for medical professionals...

☭proletarian☭;2101124 said:
Let's get a few things straight: Health Care is not an industry...Nor is health care a business.

Genomics lawsuits, big Pharma, medical patents, and significant pay for medical professionals...

That's what i was thinking.

The very idea that it's unfair to make a living providing a service as important and helpful is rather absurd. I mean why would people go to school to become Doctors if they recieved no compensation? Why would people spend day in and day out developing drugs if they were obligated to give them away? Why would companies develop better technology if it wasnt because they thought they could make a living providing a necessary service to others?

Everyone is entitled to just compensation for their work. They are free to give their service in charity, but no one can force them to. That's called slavery. Even with charity, they recieve something for their services.

It be nice if everyone could get every innovated medical treatment for their problems. But no matter what the breakthrough. People are still going to get sick. They are still going to die. Pretending that the government can prevent that is a lie. It's a complete denial of reality. People die. People get sick. Not everything in life seems fair. In fact, maybe it isn't fair. But you know what, no matter how much you try you arent going to fix it. You can either live in denial. Or you can accept the truth and actually do some good by working hard for yourself and your family and helping others as you can.

You want to fix the entire world yet neglect the problems in your own back yard. This world doesnt need some government fixing everything. Government can't and those who think it can will just waste their life looking forward to a future that will never happen.

The world needs people to stand where they are and lift where they can. People who will comfort their neighbor. People who will mentor a child. Who will work their butts off. Who will create jobs for themselves and for others.

Government doesnt solve anything. People do.

... Why would people spend day in and day out developing drugs if they were obligated to give them away? ...

WHY DO PEOPLE INVENT THINGS?

People have been inventing things because of curiosity and personality type since the beginnings of man.

The idea that people only do those thing for monetary gain is contrary to fact.

People who invent usually make very little compared to those who manufacture.

as long as human beings have curiosity, there will be invention.

you are stuck arguing in the paradigm that exists with for profit health insurance.

take away for profit health insurance and you have Big Pharma like that in Switzerland not anti to non profit health insurance:

Switzerland

An interview with an expert on Switzerland's system

Percentage of GDP spent on health care
: 11.6

Average monthly family premium:
$750, paid entirely by consumers; there are government subsidies for low-income citizens.

Co-payments:
10 percent of the cost of services, up to $420 per year.

What is it? The Swiss system is social insurance like in Japan and Germany, voted in by a national referendum in 1994. Switzerland didn't have far to go to achieve universal coverage; 95 percent of the population already had voluntary insurance when the law was passed. All citizens are required to have coverage; those not covered were automatically assigned to a company. The government provides assistance to those who can't afford the premiums.

How does it work? The Swiss example shows that universal coverage is possible, even in a highly capitalist nation with powerful insurance and pharmaceutical industries. Insurance companies are not allowed to make a profit on basic care and are prohibited from cherry-picking only young and healthy applicants. They can make money on supplemental insurance, however. As in Germany, the insurers negotiate with providers to set standard prices for services, but drug prices are set by the government.

What are the concerns?
The Swiss system is the second most expensive in the world -- but it's still far cheaper than U.S. health care. Drug prices are still slightly higher than in other European nations, and even then the discounts may be subsidized by the more expensive U.S. market, where some Swiss drug companies make one-third of their profits. In general, the Swiss do not have gatekeeper doctors, although some insurance plans require them or give a discount to consumers who use them.
FRONTLINE: sick around the world: five capitalist democracies & how they do it | PBS

not perfect, but not the end of the world.

conversation with Swiss:

FRONTLINE: sick around the world: interviews: pascal couchepin | PBS

One of the things really striking for Americans is that under LAMal, you now say the insurance companies can't make a profit on basic coverage. What's the thinking there?

The idea is very simple: If it is a social insurance, and everybody is obliged to be a member of a health insurance system, you can't ask them to pay so that the shareholders get a better revenue. It is a little the same, if I can compare with SBB, our railway system. We are very attached to the railway system; Switzerland is a country of railway. ... I think that the people wouldn't [have] agreed to privatize the railways [as] it is done now in Great Britain. To think that they can [make] a profit on the railway system, it [would] be against equality in this matter.

Naturally, you can question that, ... but till now we were able to afford a good railway system, to improve it and to have a high quality in transportation. ... We want also high quality for everybody in the health system, and after that you can earn more money than your neighbor. ... School, health care, railway system, aging, to have a good place for nursing homes for old people, retired people, we think that we must have equality of that -- not quite complete equality, it is impossible, but to have a great sense of solidarity among the people.

Now, see, that's striking for an American, because we would certainly say everyone is entitled to an education, everyone is entitled to legal protection if you get in trouble with the law, but we don't say that everyone is entitled to health care.

Why? Because it is a profound need for people to be sure that, if they are struck by a stroke of destiny, they can have a good health system.

... So if you ask the people of Switzerland, is everyone entitled to decent health care, the Swiss would say?

Everybody has a right to health care.

You have some of the world's greatest pharmaceutical companies. Do you have a problem controlling [drug costs]?

Yes. The cost of drugs are controlled, and the prices of drugs are fixed by the government. ... [But] if we compare the prices of drugs in Switzerland and the neighboring countries, it is higher in Switzerland.

You pay more for the same pill?

Yes. And ... we wanted to discuss the problem, and we took some measures to reduce the prices. First of all, we decided that where it is possible to have generics, people have to take generics, or if they do not take generics, they have to pay part of the price [on] their own. ... And after that, we systematically compare the price of the most-used drugs with the cost of the most-used drugs in the neighboring countries, and we reduce the prices of the drugs in Switzerland.

You reduce the prices. And then what does this big Swiss pharmaceutical industry say?

Two things. First of all, they accepted generics, ... and they also accepted to reduce the prices of the original drugs, which were more expensive in Switzerland. ... What they want is that we pay much more for the new drugs with a great value added, and we accept that. For cancer [drugs], perhaps we pay a little too much, in my opinion; we can still have a discussion about that. But we are very open for new drugs with huge therapeutic advantage. ... We try to support innovation and not to support profits in [and of themselves]. ...

... We have big drug companies in America, and they say, "Americans should pay high prices because that's the price of innovation." ... Do you buy that argument? Is it legitimate?

Partially. But if you look at the expenses of a great pharmaceutical company, ... they pay between about 10 to 15 percent of their expenses for research, but they use 30 to 40 percent of their incomes for marketing and promotion. ... It is not completely wrong that they spend so much, but it is not correct to say that there is a direct connection between the price of drugs and the cost of research. It could be more between the cost of marketing and the cost of the drugs.

But you have government regulation, what we might call regulated competition. Does that work?

It is regulated competition. It is in order, but I think, as a Democrat, ... it could be not bad that once a year they [the company managers] have to go in front of a public assembly to answer questions about their salaries, about the way they see the future, about improvement in the quality of the services. It would be, my opinion, not so bad. And it could be possible through a system of shareholders, but not for profit, more for control.
hmmm...

Now scream....

Insurance is an industry. I have asked numerous times here and elsewhere, for anyone to explain why the markets or reason demand a for profit health insurance middle man.

No replies yet.

Ok, here is your answer:

First, Insurance is not an industry. An industry is something that makes something someone will willingly pay for that is IN THE PUBLIC INTEREST.

Not all things people can be induced to pay for is in the public interest. I can name a hundred such things, starting with gambling, and insurance is nothing but gambling, prostitution, murder and the list goes on and on. These things are wisely banned and even when they exist they are NOT industries. Pay for Play sports is another THING that is not in the public interest that should be banned, and therefore is NOT an industry by any reasonable definition of the word. As is, I might add, Practicing Law for Pay, So be careful with throwing around the word INDUSTRY. Everything that says it is an "industry" is not necessarily and industry.

That said, insurance to the extent it is allowed to exist should be tightly government defined and controlled and on probation at all times. Yes, there are a FEW justifications for insurance, such as encouraging ventures that ARE in the public interest to go forward.

Insurance was invented by Lloyds of London to insure ships at sea when over half of them sank each trip out. The only way to encourage orderly sea commerce was to create a system of insurance so that the risk takers would take a little less risk and hence be able to expand trade.

How in the hell it got from that humble beginning to insuring all kinds of things that it is NOT in the public interest to insure is a lesson in business racketeering that is a model for all subsequent business racketeering defined as activity for money that is NOT in the public interest.

Therefore, not only should health insurance be looked at closely with an eye to elimination or curtailment, but ALL insurance should be looked at with a very close and skeptical eye as to the advisability of eliminating, controlling, or minimizing it.

We have to be careful about allowing self defined "industries" to grow up like cancers on society that are fundamentally NOT in the public interest. For example, "industries" based on gambling, addictive substances like alcohol, tobacco, drugs of all sorts, including prescription, and pay for play "sports", and banking to name just a few pests that are way, way out of control and harming families and the national interest.

An industry is something that makes things the public actually needs like shoes, coats, cars and so forth. If we have a brain we all know the difference between a real industry and a criminal racket trying to pretend it is an industry. Most entertainment and most advertising is all NOT useful industry. These things are things we should spend some time thinking about, instead of mindlessly being anti-business, or anti-government oversight of business.

Government oversight of society should be much like the gardener that removes weeds. No weed removal, (that is totally unregulated free enterprise) no garden.

Is this enough of an answer?

No replies yet.

Okay. Let's assume for a moment that we eliminate all health insurance company profits:

He's telling people what they want to hear, not what they need to know. Whatever their sins, insurers are mainly intermediaries; they pass along the costs of the delivery system. In 2009, the largest 14 insurers had profits of roughly $9 billion; that approached 0.4 percent of total health spending of $2.472 trillion. This hardly explains high health costs. What people need to know is that Obama's plan evades health care's major problems and would worsen the budget outlook. It's a big new spending program when government hasn't paid for the spending programs it already has.

RealClearPolitics - Obama's Proposal is the Illusion of 'Reform'

Eliminating $9B (of the largest insurers who make up the majority of the market) from $2,472B is a reduction of .36% (a little over 1/3 of 1%). Let's assume the rest actually round that figure up to a full 1% (which is very inflated). What happens to the remaining 99% of the costs when we removing the little bit of cost control discipline provided by for profit companies?

Last edited:

The very idea that it's unfair to make a living providing a service as important and helpful is rather absurd. I mean why would people go to school to become Doctors if they recieved no compensation? Why would people spend day in and day out developing drugs if they were obligated to give them away? Why would companies develop better technology if it wasnt because they thought they could make a living providing a necessary service to others?

Everyone is entitled to just compensation for their work. They are free to give their service in charity, but no one can force them to. That's called slavery. Even with charity, they recieve something for their services.

It be nice if everyone could get every innovated medical treatment for their problems. But no matter what the breakthrough. People are still going to get sick. They are still going to die. Pretending that the government can prevent that is a lie. It's a complete denial of reality. People die. People get sick. Not everything in life seems fair. In fact, maybe it isn't fair. But you know what, no matter how much you try you arent going to fix it. You can either live in denial. Or you can accept the truth and actually do some good by working hard for yourself and your family and helping others as you can.

You want to fix the entire world yet neglect the problems in your own back yard. This world doesnt need some government fixing everything. Government can't and those who think it can will just waste their life looking forward to a future that will never happen.

The world needs people to stand where they are and lift where they can. People who will comfort their neighbor. People who will mentor a child. Who will work their butts off. Who will create jobs for themselves and for others.

Government doesnt solve anything. People do.

Your points are well taken, but have a number of holes in them.

When you look historically at health care, you see that it has always existed, and that largely it was a matter of charity, by such as the church, not profit. In fact the Hippocratic oath is a long spiel against the self-dealing and profiteering of doctors which is one reason the AMA has banned it, and wrote its own self-serving oath that violates all the good rules of the original. Get the two and compare them. It is a criminal outrage what the AMA has done to the Hippocratic Oath.

Again, Health Care is NOT a legitimate "industry" by any means. Yes, it is a compassionate thing, but it adds nothing to our total wealth. Quite the contrary, it takes away vast resources.

Also, in history health care has always been a very de-emphasized activity. Anyone with a brain can see it contributes almost nothing to our national defense, and almost nothing to any of the rest of our well being either.

Yes, it is an exercise in compassion, but compassion always has to be keep on a close leash otherwise it will consume us totally. We will spend our whole lives, as some already do, taking care of sick dogs and cats, or 90 year olds out of their minds, and paying for million dollar operations to prolong their lives a bit. Nuts are already doing this on a vast scale.

So, health care is not some unalloyed good, that it is impossible to spend too much on, but rather it is a compassion luxury that is OK, if kept within the national interest. Really it should be called the sickness "industry" that preys on and feeds off of sickness, and works to create as much new sickness as possible.

And yes, I am the first to run to the doctor with the sniffles, but that doesn't make it right. We have all become hypochondriac health care addicts, and it is taking us nowhere. The key to health is proper eating, drinking, and exercise and mental habits, NOT doctors and that should be 90% of our focus. Surgery is about the only thing doctors are of much use for, and most of that is unnecessary and harmful.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back