Common sense: is 1 million barrels traveling 1 mile on open ocean more dangerous than

What do trains have to do with it? My point was that the core concern with Keystone was the environment. What happens when oil is shipped via the ocean? Do environmental concerns go away???
It was part of the old transportation safety argument they made a decade ago. The excess product from Canada will be shipped in big oil tankers to China anyway. If they have to use trains to get across the boarder they will.

What do trains have to do with it? My point was that the core concern with Keystone was the environment. What happens when oil is shipped via the ocean? Do environmental concerns go away???
I agree with you! I'm still waiting for those "environmentalists" to tell me which has more damage potential:
1 million barrels traveling 1 mile on the open ocean, or 700 barrels traveling 1 mile on dry land?
Even when the experts tell the truly uninformed environmentalists:
David Valentine, Professor of Earth Science and Biology at UCSB,
“In general, spills to soil are more contained than spills to water, and thus cleanup is more straightforward.
Damage is often lesser for soil spills. For this reason an aquatic spill (including marine) tends to be more harmful than a spill to soil.”

Linda Krop, Chief Counsel at the Environmental Defense Center (EDC) in Santa Barbara, California, agrees. “Spills in soils cause less damage and are easier to clean up effectively.” She adds that pipelines are unlike other modes of oil transportation because they can have safety features that make large leaks preventable:

That amounts to about a fifth (1/5th) US fluid ounce per foot assuming your higher figure of 8 gallons per mile. I spill more oil changing the oil in my vehicles in my driveway.

That amounts to about a fifth (1/5th) US fluid ounce per foot assuming your higher figure of 8 gallons per mile. I spill more oil changing the oil in my vehicles in my driveway.
You give an interesting illustration. I've yet to get the environmentalistas to acknowledge which is a bigger number.
1,000,000 barrels traveling one mile in an oil tanker on the open ocean OR
700 barrels traveling one mile in a pipeline with 16 monitors/mile on dry land near roadways for relief.

What type of oil does Venezuela ship to China? That doesn’t seam to get you upset.

In Canada, we're upset that oil is being mined in the tar sands at all. We'd shut it down if we could. The dirtiest oil in the world. I neither know nor care because there's nothing I can do about that one. I care about things I do get a say in, and can do something about, in whatever small way.

In Canada, we're upset that oil is being mined in the tar sands at all. We'd shut it down if we could. The dirtiest oil in the world. I neither know nor care because there's nothing I can do about that one. I care about things I do get a say in, and can do something about, in whatever small way.
Keystone would have gotten that dirty oil to a premier refinery in South Texas. It would have been strategic infrastructure for Canada US and Mexico.

Keystone would have gotten that dirty oil to a premier refinery in South Texas. It would have been strategic infrastructure for Canada US and Mexico.
That ignores the simple question.
Which has greater chance of damage and greatest damage exposure...
1,000,000 barrels traveling 1 mile on the open ocean OR
700 barrels traveling 1 mile in a pipeline on dry land?
And experts say the following:
David Valentine, Professor of Earth Science and Biology at UCSB,
“In general, spills to soil are more contained than spills to water, and thus cleanup is more straightforward.
Damage is often lesser for soil spills. For this reason an aquatic spill (including marine) tends to be more harmful than a spill to soil.”

Linda Krop, Chief Counsel at the Environmental Defense Center (EDC) in Santa Barbara, California, agrees.
“Spills in soils cause less damage and are easier to clean up effectively.” She adds that pipelines are unlike other modes of oil transportation because they can have safety features that make large leaks preventable:

it is odd how many people do not know this
What is ODD is you don't seem to comprehend that the KEYSTONE pipeline issue is the expansion was cancelled by Biden!
The Keystone XL pipeline extension, proposed by TC Energy (then TransCanada) in 2008, was initially designed to transport the planet’s dirtiest fossil fuel, tar sands oil, to market—and fast. As an expansion of the company’s existing Keystone Pipeline System, which has been operating since 2010 (and continues to send Canadian tar sands crude oil from Alberta to various processing hubs in the middle of the United States), the pipeline promised to dramatically increase capacity to process the 168 billion barrels
INCLUDING YOU obviously as you didn't supply the link!
Keystone is an extension! FACT that evidently many of you anti-Keystone never knew!
Tell me which according to experts more dangerous to the environment?
Oil spills on water or dry land? I'll give you the facts after you guess?

Extension or not, pipelines are always better than the alternatives, and should not be an issue with the environment.

Extension or not, pipelines are always better than the alternatives, and should not be an issue with the environment.
And the experts say dry land spills are less damaging than spills to water.
David Valentine, Professor of Earth Science and Biology at UCSB, says it is better to have soil spills than ocean spills:
In general, spills to soil are more contained than spills to water, and thus cleanup is more straightforward.

Linda Krop, Chief Counsel at the Environmental Defense Center (EDC) in Santa Barbara, California, agrees. “Spills in soils cause less damage and are easier to clean up effectively.” She adds that pipelines are unlike other modes of oil transportation because they can have safety features that make large leaks preventable:"

700 barrels traveling one mile on dry land underground?
So why did Biden as did Obama cancel a pipeline that would be
A) part of a system that the White House says..
"White House admits pipelines are 'safest' way to transport oil"

B) part of 185,000 miles pipelines:that have spilled an average of 5 gallons per mile.
Nearly 9 million gallons of crude oil have spilled from pipelines in the United States since 2010.
(9 million spilled gallons of divided by 185,000 miles of pipeline divided by 6 years or 8 gallons/year/mile.)
So common sense. FACTs. Statistics all support.
8 gallons of spilled oil per mile per year VS 55 million gallons traveling one mile on open ocean per day!
Please defenders of Biden's cancelling Keystone... defend it!
Refute the White House acknowledging pipelines safest way!
Refute that 8 gallons per mile per year is more dangerous than 55 million gallons/mile/day!

Tar sand oil is junk. The fact is that the people who live in the area did not want the pipeline.

700 barrels traveling one mile on dry land underground?
So why did Biden as did Obama cancel a pipeline that would be
A) part of a system that the White House says..
"White House admits pipelines are 'safest' way to transport oil"

B) part of 185,000 miles pipelines:that have spilled an average of 5 gallons per mile.
Nearly 9 million gallons of crude oil have spilled from pipelines in the United States since 2010.
(9 million spilled gallons of divided by 185,000 miles of pipeline divided by 6 years or 8 gallons/year/mile.)
So common sense. FACTs. Statistics all support.
8 gallons of spilled oil per mile per year VS 55 million gallons traveling one mile on open ocean per day!
Please defenders of Biden's cancelling Keystone... defend it!
Refute the White House acknowledging pipelines safest way!
Refute that 8 gallons per mile per year is more dangerous than 55 million gallons/mile/day!
When one of the biggest donors of the democrats owns the rails that ship the oil from pipeline stations to refineries instead of allowing the pipelines to deliver it direct you have your answer.

Tar sand oil is junk. The fact is that the people who live in the area did not want the pipeline.
Well the first is certainly a lie and the second is irrelevant. We haven't let people who didn't want infrastructure projects in the past stop them.

More importantly since the pipeline is almost completely run under ground unlike a highway running through your field or next to your house it has no negative impact on you perpetually as long as it is used.

This tar sand oil is extremely corrosive. It will cause leaks and will be hard to find. It is junk and we don't need this junk.
You're an idiot, the pipelines are epoxy lined. If your claims were true the portions of Keystone already in operation would be spewing oil constantly.

A few cranks didn't want it. Most of them couldn't even tell you where it is after it was built if it wasn't marked with signs. Everyone who's paying $5/gal for gas now would like to kick the former group in the yarbles.

Forum List

Back