Comfortably Numb vs. Hotel California

Comfortably Numb vs. Hotel California

• Comfortably Numb

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Hotel California

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
I think I've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that The Eagles were the more talented band. Unless you are willing to claim that David Gilmour is a more talented guitarist than Joe Walsh? Hmm? Anyone going to make that claim??

David Gilmour is the better guitarist. But again they were pretty much different genres. Pink Floyd was more ethereal, The Eagles were about relationships.

I don't want to disparage either so I'm done here. Enjoy them both.

What the heck would you participate on a thread for then? Argue your point. Show some clips to prove your claims. :rolleyes-41:

Check any top 100 guitarists list. I'm not sure you will find Joe Walsh though I love his work. Gilmour will be front and center.

I'm not sure why this is an argument to you. I hold both bands as great, period.

Well the topic of the thread is which is better. I say overall the Eagles are the more talented band. I say Joe Walsh is a better and more talented guitarist than Gilmour. The Eagles music was more varied and they didn't have to rely on light shows and special effects sounds to gain fans. You say Gilmour was better, but you don't provide any examples to prove that claim. I hope you don't just expect people to agree with you, like you did about your rain sound effects. :D

Joe Walsh IS considered one of the best guitarists.

In Cleveland power trio the James Gang, Joe Walsh combined Who-style fury with Yardbirds-style technical fireworks and R&B crunch, notably on 1970's "Funk #49." The humor in Walsh's bluesy facility came out in the talk-box flight on his '73 solo hit "Rocky Mountain Way." But it was when he joined the Eagles in 1975 that he truly lodged himself on classic-rock radio. Walsh brought a hard-rock edge to the Eagles' easygoing pop songs, creating a series of indestructible licks in the process: See his staccato-snarl riff in "Life in the Fast Lane" and his elegant aggression in the dueling-guitars section of "Hotel California." Walsh influenced the Who's 1971 classic, Who's Next, although he didn't play a note on it: He gave Pete Townshend, as a gift, the 1959 Gretsch Chet Atkins guitar that Townshend played all over that album. Townshend later repaid the favor while talking to Rolling Stone in 1975: "Joe Walsh is a fluid and intelligent player. There're not many like that around."

Read more: Joe Walsh - 100 Greatest Guitarists
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Rain? WTH are you talking about. You seem to be out there a ways.

Argue with yourself, I listen to both.

I think I've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that The Eagles were the more talented band. Unless you are willing to claim that David Gilmour is a more talented guitarist than Joe Walsh? Hmm? Anyone going to make that claim??

They are equally talented to be honest Chris. Different genre's but equally talented. Gilmour actually has more musical range than Walsh but as far as skill and talent go's I think they are equals.

They are equally talented to be honest Chris. Different genre's but equally talented. Gilmour actually has more musical range than Walsh but as far as skill and talent go's I think they are equals.

Well, :D I don't want to argue, but . . .

Joe Walsh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joseph Fidler "Joe" Walsh (born November 20, 1947)[1] is an American singer, songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist, and record producer. In a career spanning more than 40 years, Walsh has been a member of five successful rock bands: the Eagles, James Gang, Barnstorm, The Party Boys, and Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band. In the 1990s, he was also a member of the short-lived supergroup The Best. He has also experienced success both as a solo artist and prolific session musician, being featured on a wide array of other artists' recordings. In 2011, Rolling Stone placed Walsh at the number 54 spot on its list of "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time."[2]

Walsh joined the Eagles in 1975 as the group's keyboardist and guitarist following the departure of their founding member Bernie Leadon, with Hotel California being his first album with the band.[3] In 1998 Guitarist magazine selected the guitar solos on the track "Hotel California" by Walsh and Don Felder[4] as the best guitar solos of all time, and eighth of the Top 100 Guitar Solos.[5]

Walsh pursued a solo career and released his debut album The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get in 1973. Since then, he has released twelve studio albums, six compilation albums and two live albums. His solo hits include "Rocky Mountain Way", "Life's Been Good", "All Night Long", "A Life of Illusion" and "Ordinary Average Guy".

As a member of the Eagles, Walsh was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998, and into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2001. The Eagles are considered to be one of the most influential bands of the 1970s, and they remain the best-selling American band in the history of popular music.[6] Walsh's creative contribution to music has received praise from many of the best rock guitarists, including Led Zeppelin's former guitarist Jimmy Page, who praised Walsh by saying "He has a tremendous feel for the instrument. I've loved his style since the early James Gang."[7] Cream's former guitarist, Eric Clapton said that "He's one of the best guitarists to surface in some time. I don't listen to many records, but I listen to his."[7] The Who's guitarist Pete Townshend, a friend of Walsh's, commented that "Joe Walsh is a fluid and intelligent player. There're not many like that around."[2][7]

David Gilmour is the better guitarist. But again they were pretty much different genres. Pink Floyd was more ethereal, The Eagles were about relationships.

I don't want to disparage either so I'm done here. Enjoy them both.

What the heck would you participate on a thread for then? Argue your point. Show some clips to prove your claims. :rolleyes-41:

Check any top 100 guitarists list. I'm not sure you will find Joe Walsh though I love his work. Gilmour will be front and center.

I'm not sure why this is an argument to you. I hold both bands as great, period.

Well the topic of the thread is which is better. I say overall the Eagles are the more talented band. I say Joe Walsh is a better and more talented guitarist than Gilmour. The Eagles music was more varied and they didn't have to rely on light shows and special effects sounds to gain fans. You say Gilmour was better, but you don't provide any examples to prove that claim. I hope you don't just expect people to agree with you, like you did about your rain sound effects. :D

Joe Walsh IS considered one of the best guitarists.

In Cleveland power trio the James Gang, Joe Walsh combined Who-style fury with Yardbirds-style technical fireworks and R&B crunch, notably on 1970's "Funk #49." The humor in Walsh's bluesy facility came out in the talk-box flight on his '73 solo hit "Rocky Mountain Way." But it was when he joined the Eagles in 1975 that he truly lodged himself on classic-rock radio. Walsh brought a hard-rock edge to the Eagles' easygoing pop songs, creating a series of indestructible licks in the process: See his staccato-snarl riff in "Life in the Fast Lane" and his elegant aggression in the dueling-guitars section of "Hotel California." Walsh influenced the Who's 1971 classic, Who's Next, although he didn't play a note on it: He gave Pete Townshend, as a gift, the 1959 Gretsch Chet Atkins guitar that Townshend played all over that album. Townshend later repaid the favor while talking to Rolling Stone in 1975: "Joe Walsh is a fluid and intelligent player. There're not many like that around."

Read more: Joe Walsh - 100 Greatest Guitarists
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Rain? WTH are you talking about. You seem to be out there a ways.

Argue with yourself, I listen to both.

Wasn't it you who posted that 10 hours of rain sounds video on the Juke Box thread? If not, my apologies.

Joseph Fidler "Joe" Walsh (born November 20, 1947)[1] is an American singer, songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist, and record producer. In a career spanning more than 40 years, Walsh has been a member of five successful rock bands: the Eagles, James Gang, Barnstorm, The Party Boys, and Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band. In the 1990s, he was also a member of the short-lived supergroup The Best. He has also experienced success both as a solo artist and prolific session musician, being featured on a wide array of other artists' recordings. In 2011, Rolling Stone placed Walsh at the number 54 spot on its list of "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time."[2]

Walsh joined the Eagles in 1975 as the group's keyboardist and guitarist following the departure of their founding member Bernie Leadon, with Hotel California being his first album with the band.[3] In 1998 Guitarist magazine selected the guitar solos on the track "Hotel California" by Walsh and Don Felder[4] as the best guitar solos of all time, and eighth of the Top 100 Guitar Solos.[5]

Walsh pursued a solo career and released his debut album The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get in 1973. Since then, he has released twelve studio albums, six compilation albums and two live albums. His solo hits include "Rocky Mountain Way", "Life's Been Good", "All Night Long", "A Life of Illusion" and "Ordinary Average Guy".

As a member of the Eagles, Walsh was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998, and into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 2001. The Eagles are considered to be one of the most influential bands of the 1970s, and they remain the best-selling American band in the history of popular music.[6] Walsh's creative contribution to music has received praise from many of the best rock guitarists, including Led Zeppelin's former guitarist Jimmy Page, who praised Walsh by saying "He has a tremendous feel for the instrument. I've loved his style since the early James Gang."[7] Cream's former guitarist, Eric Clapton said that "He's one of the best guitarists to surface in some time. I don't listen to many records, but I listen to his."[7] The Who's guitarist Pete Townshend, a friend of Walsh's, commented that "Joe Walsh is a fluid and intelligent player. There're not many like that around."[2][7]

I love his faces and his boots and his belt. :up:

Yes Walsh is wonderful, but so is Gilmour...

Yep, Joe is one of my favorite all time musicians.... However so is David....

"David Jon Gilmour, CBE (born 6 March 1946), is an English musician, singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. In a career spanning more than 50 years, he is best known[1] for his work as the guitarist and co-lead vocalist of the progressive rock band Pink Floyd. It was estimated that by 2012 the group had sold over 250 million records worldwide, including 75 million units sold in the United States.[2]

In addition to his work with Pink Floyd, Gilmour has produced a variety of artists, for example the Dream Academy, and has had a solo career. In 2005, Gilmour was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire(CBE) for his services to music.[3] He was awarded with the Outstanding Contribution title at the 2008 Q Awards.[4] In 2011, Rolling Stone magazine ranked him number 14 in their list of the greatest guitarists of all time. Additionally, Gilmour was voted number 36 in the greatest voices in rock by Planet Rock listeners in 2009.[5]

Musical style[edit]
Gilmour is primarily regarded as a lead guitarist. His own solo style is often characterised by blues-influenced phrasing, expressive note bends and sustain. In 2011, Gilmour was rated the 14th greatest guitarist by Rolling Stone magazine. In January 2007, Guitar World readers voted Gilmour's solos, "Comfortably Numb", "Time" and "Money" into the top 100 Greatest Guitar Solos ("Comfortably Numb" was voted the 4th, "Time" was voted the 21st and "Money" was voted the 62nd greatest solo of all time).[42]

Early in his career with Pink Floyd, Gilmour played a multitude of Fender Stratocasters. He recorded one of his guitar solos, for "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2", in one take using no editing or mixing using a 1955 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top guitar equipped with P-90 pick-ups.[43] In 1996, Gilmour was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Pink Floyd. Gilmour's solo on "Comfortably Numb" was voted as one of the greatest guitar solos of all time in several polls by listeners and critics.[44]

Although mainly known for his guitar work, Gilmour is also a proficient multi-instrumentalist. He also played bass on a portion of Pink Floyd tracks, keyboards, synthesiser, banjo, lap steel, mandolin, harmonica, and drums on the Syd Barrett solo track "Dominoes". He can also play the saxophone.

Many critics have been very favourable towards Gilmour and his style, music critic Alan di Perna has praised Gilmour's guitar work as being an integral element of Pink Floyd's sound.[45] Rolling Stone ranked him number 14 in their "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" list and di Perna described him as the most important guitarist of the 1970s, Perna also referred to Gilmour as "the missing link between Hendrix and Van Halen." In a 2006 interview with Gilmour, he commented on his playing technique: "[My] fingers make a distinctive sound ... [they] aren't very fast, but I think I am instantly recognisable ... The way I play melodies is connected to things like Hank Marvin and the Shadows".

In 2006, a writer for Guitar World, Jimmy Brown, described Gilmour's playing style as "characterised by simple, huge-sounding riffs; gutsy, well-paced solos; and rich, ambient chordal textures". According to Brown, Gilmour's solos on "Money", "Time" and "Comfortably Numb" "cut through the mix like a laser beam through fog". Brown described the "Time" solo as "a masterpiece of phrasing and motivic development ... Gilmour paces himself throughout and builds upon his initial idea by leaping into the upper register with gut-wrenching one-and-one-half-step 'over bends', soulful triplet arpeggios and a typically impeccable bar vibrato." Brown described Gilmour's sense of phrasing as intuitive, singling it out as perhaps his best asset as a lead guitarist. Gilmour explained how he achieved his signature tone: "I usually use a fuzz box, a delay and a bright EQ setting ... [to get] singing sustain ... you need to play loud—at or near the feedback threshold. It's just so much more fun to play ... when bent notes slice right through you like a razor blade."

David Gilmour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"David Jon Gilmour, CBE (born 6 March 1946), is an English musician, singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. In a career spanning more than 50 years, he is best known[1] for his work as the guitarist and co-lead vocalist of the progressive rock band Pink Floyd. It was estimated that by 2012 the group had sold over 250 million records worldwide, including 75 million units sold in the United States.[2]

In addition to his work with Pink Floyd, Gilmour has produced a variety of artists, for example the Dream Academy, and has had a solo career. In 2005, Gilmour was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire(CBE) for his services to music.[3] He was awarded with the Outstanding Contribution title at the 2008 Q Awards.[4] In 2011, Rolling Stone magazine ranked him number 14 in their list of the greatest guitarists of all time. Additionally, Gilmour was voted number 36 in the greatest voices in rock by Planet Rock listeners in 2009.[5]

Musical style[edit]
Gilmour is primarily regarded as a lead guitarist. His own solo style is often characterised by blues-influenced phrasing, expressive note bends and sustain. In 2011, Gilmour was rated the 14th greatest guitarist by Rolling Stone magazine. In January 2007, Guitar World readers voted Gilmour's solos, "Comfortably Numb", "Time" and "Money" into the top 100 Greatest Guitar Solos ("Comfortably Numb" was voted the 4th, "Time" was voted the 21st and "Money" was voted the 62nd greatest solo of all time).[42]

Early in his career with Pink Floyd, Gilmour played a multitude of Fender Stratocasters. He recorded one of his guitar solos, for "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2", in one take using no editing or mixing using a 1955 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top guitar equipped with P-90 pick-ups.[43] In 1996, Gilmour was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Pink Floyd. Gilmour's solo on "Comfortably Numb" was voted as one of the greatest guitar solos of all time in several polls by listeners and critics.[44]

Although mainly known for his guitar work, Gilmour is also a proficient multi-instrumentalist. He also played bass on a portion of Pink Floyd tracks, keyboards, synthesiser, banjo, lap steel, mandolin, harmonica, and drums on the Syd Barrett solo track "Dominoes". He can also play the saxophone.

Many critics have been very favourable towards Gilmour and his style, music critic Alan di Perna has praised Gilmour's guitar work as being an integral element of Pink Floyd's sound.[45] Rolling Stone ranked him number 14 in their "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" list and di Perna described him as the most important guitarist of the 1970s, Perna also referred to Gilmour as "the missing link between Hendrix and Van Halen." In a 2006 interview with Gilmour, he commented on his playing technique: "[My] fingers make a distinctive sound ... [they] aren't very fast, but I think I am instantly recognisable ... The way I play melodies is connected to things like Hank Marvin and the Shadows".

In 2006, a writer for Guitar World, Jimmy Brown, described Gilmour's playing style as "characterised by simple, huge-sounding riffs; gutsy, well-paced solos; and rich, ambient chordal textures". According to Brown, Gilmour's solos on "Money", "Time" and "Comfortably Numb" "cut through the mix like a laser beam through fog". Brown described the "Time" solo as "a masterpiece of phrasing and motivic development ... Gilmour paces himself throughout and builds upon his initial idea by leaping into the upper register with gut-wrenching one-and-one-half-step 'over bends', soulful triplet arpeggios and a typically impeccable bar vibrato." Brown described Gilmour's sense of phrasing as intuitive, singling it out as perhaps his best asset as a lead guitarist. Gilmour explained how he achieved his signature tone: "I usually use a fuzz box, a delay and a bright EQ setting ... [to get] singing sustain ... you need to play loud—at or near the feedback threshold. It's just so much more fun to play ... when bent notes slice right through you like a razor blade."

Joe Walsh learned to play slide guitar from Duane Allman.

Anyway, in the name of fairness, here is one of Gilmour, and I think he is awesome, but his sound is polished. It's not as raw and gritty as Joe. I much prefer the sound of Joe Walsh's guitar.

Musical style[edit]

Joe Walsh, FIVE successful bands. ;)

I guess Mr. Don Felder deserves a lot of credit for the Eagles Hotel California guitar solo. He and Joe together sound great in that song though, even better live if you ask me! I just happen to like a lot of Joe Walsh songs and not too many Pink Floyd songs. For me, PF use sound effects too much. I still admire their talent though.

Musical style[edit]

Yes, and Gilmour's band has sold over 250 million albums which I am pretty sure eclipses ALL of Walsh's bands combined. Add to that the fact that Gilmour can pretty much play any instrument he likes reinforces what I said... the two are equally talented.

Musical style[edit]

Yes, and Gilmour's band has sold over 250 million albums which I am pretty sure eclipses ALL of Walsh's bands combined. Add to that the fact that Gilmour can pretty much play any instrument he likes reinforces what I said... the two are equally talented.

That doesn't mean he was better. He was a member of Pink Floyd, a band with a huge cult following, like the Grateful Dead. Anyways, if you are browsing threads here, which song would you rather listen to? Comfortably Numb or Hotel California?

Musical style[edit]

That doesn't mean he was better. He was a member of Pink Floyd, a band with a huge cult following, like the Grateful Dead. Anyways, if you are browsing threads here, which song would you rather listen to? Comfortably Numb or Hotel California?

Never claimed he was better, merely stated he was equal. You pointed out Walsh was in 5 bands and i pointed out that Pink Floyd is more successful than all five of those bands combined. Dark Side of the Moon was on the Billboard Top 200 and Pop Catalog charts for 1500 weeks! That's 28 YEARS! That is far beyond cult status. It is estimated that 1 out of every 14 people ON THE PLANET own, or have owned that album.

As for which song I would rather listen too it depends on my mood. If
I just want some background music, Hotel California, if I am in an introspective mood Comfortably Numb.

Last edited:
Comfortably Numb all the way. Hotel California was a good song, but it got played until it became like Chinese water torture. Loved Pink Floyd in all states of consciousness.

Comfortably Numb all the way. Hotel California was a good song, but it got played until it became like Chinese water torture. Loved Pink Floyd in all states of consciousness.

I have been obsessed for 25 years in avoiding listening to rock music unless I played it and would have done a disappearing act especially not to hear Hotel.

Like "Comfortably numb," it brings an epic feeling to the surface.

Musical style[edit]

Never claimed he was better, merely stated he was equal. You pointed out Walsh was in 5 bands and i pointed out that Pink Floyd is more successful than all five of those bands combined. Dark Side of the Moon was on the Billboard Top 200 and Pop Catalog charts for 1500 weeks! That's 28 YEARS! That is far beyond cult status. It is estimated that 1 out of every 14 people ON THE PLANET own, or have owned that album.

As for which song I would rather listen too it depends on my mood. If
I just want some background music, Hotel California, if I am in an introspective mood Comfortably Numb.

I'll fix this. :D

Joe Walsh.

Hotel California.

Maybe you guys will disagree, but I don't thing Hotel California is a particularly great song. Maybe I feel that way because it's always on the radio and I'm sick of it.

Maybe you guys will disagree, but I don't thing Hotel California is a particularly great song. Maybe I feel that way because it's always on the radio and I'm sick of it.

You have to watch the live video. Songs are much more boring on the radio than when you watch them actually being performed.

I've never made a poll. I wonder if there is an option to choose to make it a public poll so we can view who voted? It makes it much more fun and interesting, IMO. Most of them are not able to be viewed, only the numbers.

Forum List

Back