Collins wants republicans to vote for her but she wants the next SC pick to be democrat!?

Collins wants the voters to decide who they want to fill the seat.

If Trump wins, she has no objection to him filling the seat

The voters already decided in 2016 who they wanted to fill seats. Trump is President therefore it’s his job when a vacancy arises, as it just did.

The voters already decided in 2016 who they wanted to fill seats. Trump is President therefore it’s his job when a vacancy arises, as it just did.
Voters decided in 2012 that they wanted Obama to fill vacancies by a much wider margin.

Meant nothing to Republicans

I’m truly dumbfounded that a woman who wants to win republican votes won’t vote to take control of the the most important seat to protect the Constitution.
she’s going to get smoked in Maine, I wouldn’t vote for that that fraud.

She can't win with Republican votes. She needs independents. I hope a lot of Republicans agree with you. Democrats will pick up the seat. What is interesting is she is seen as a centrist. A staffer earlier this year boasted that Collins voted with Trump 94% of the time. I guess that is not good enough because it is not 100%.

Here is the thing to think about. Why are McConnel and Trump rushing this? It is evidence that they think Trump will lose. It also is evidence that Senate Republicans expect McSally to lose her seat.

Seems like more and more rino vermin are coming out.

Trump and his supporters are the vermin. You are the RINOs. When Ronald Reagan was President, his aides wanted him to reach out to Trump but he refused. It shows what a good judge of character Ronald Reagan was. I don't believe for a moment that Collins really believes it. It is all about political survival but she is right. Republicans set the rule in 2016 before the primaries were even over.

Seems like more and more rino vermin are coming out.

Trump and his supporters are the vermin. You are the RINOs. When Ronald Reagan was President, his aides wanted him to reach out to Trump but he refused. It shows what a good judge of character Ronald Reagan was. I don't believe for a moment that Collins really believes it. It is all about political survival but she is right. Republicans set the rule in 2016 before the primaries were even over.
^^ They don't even care how stupid their lies are.

Voters decided in 2012 that they wanted Obama to fill vacancies by a much wider margin.

And it won't mean anything to democrats when they're in the same position. To pretend otherwise is foolish.

Obama didn‘t own the senate by the time that pick came up. To bad.

I was just talking to my family about Collins predicament.

She's damned is she does and damned is she doesn't.

If I was a career politician...I'd rather go out as the person who was defeated because I gave my party a bulletproof majority on the Supreme Court than the person who was thrown out as a traitor.

I’m truly dumbfounded that a woman who wants to win republican votes won’t vote to take control of the the most important seat to protect the Constitution.

No, she said nothing of the sort. She said she favors waiting until after the election to appoint a SC justice.
Fine. Trump can nominate on Nov. 4th, the Senate can confirm on Dec. 15th.

If Trump wins the election, I would have no issue with that. I may not like it and Democrats will still put up a fight, but it will be within his right to do so.
Has nothing to do with who wins the election. The President IS President for the full term. The people voted for the FULL TERM of Donald Trump.

Doesn't matter. Mitch set the standard. If Trump loses, he don't get to pick. Lame ducks don't count. :)
Of course, he does. There is no standard other than what is written in the Constitution.

Advice and/or Consent. That is the standard.

I agree. But Mitch crapped all over that precedent. So, if the President is President for the full term, by my recollection, Barack Obama was President until noon on January 20th, 2017.
He should have had the right to at least put Garland before the Senate for confirmation. Again, you don't get to apply a different standard now.

Where in the Constitution does it say the Senate is required to have a confirmation vote?

Hint, it doesn't.

So where does this "right" you made up come from? What it the source of that "right?"

How the senate exercises it's power of advice and consent is up to the senate. Not you

Nothing to do with "right", "wrong", or "left". Mitch set the standard. He conveniently bypassed the Constitution in 2016.
You don't get to reset the narrative just because your guy is in the Oval Office. Proceed here at your own peril. It will come
back to bite Republicans in the ass.

You keep repeating that empty lie.

Obama DID make a nomination. You are lying that he was prevented from doing that.

You are the one trying to remove Constitutional authority from the Senate and claiming they don't have advice and consent. They do.

Name what in the Constitution was not followed. Obviously you can't, you're just lying

Obama's nominee did not get a hearing or a vote. Stop with the rationalizing. Mitch decided to invoke his own rules. You don't get to hide in the details now just because your guy is in the Oval Office.
Okay, let Me put it to you in the base terms you may be able to understand.

They said, "Fuck Obama's Nominee". They (The Senate) have that right.
Is that clear to you? There was NO NEED to vote

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president,"

Mitch McConnell Feb 13 2016, hours after Scalia died
And they did get a voice.

As it is....the Democrats have no right to interfere with the normal operation of the government just because they find it to be political in nature.

They have a right to interfere based on the standard Republicans set on replacing judges in an election year.

Because you believe that Biden meant he would NOT have confirmed a Democrat nominee for SCOTUS in 1992. You actually believe that.

Sure you do, sure. Obviously you don't, which is why you keep hiding from the question. And if you said you believe that you'd look even dumber than hiding from the question.

Being a coward and a liar is something I never have to hide from like you do since you are a coward and a liar and I'm not
Fair enough

Biden said we shouldn’t fill a SCOTUS vacancy in an election year
McConnell refused to fill a SCOTUS vacancy for over a year in an election year.

Why are we filling one weeks before an election?
Because they can.

That bitch from Maine. Fuck her.

You would have an argument if the Democrats controlled the Senate then. They didn't, so you don't.

The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president,"

Mitch McConnell Feb 13 2016, hours after Scalia died
And they did get a voice.
Yes they did......10 months later

Now, 45 days before the election, Republicans are denying a voice

You would have an argument if the Democrats controlled the Senate then. They didn't, so you don't.

What does who controls the Senate have to do with not filling a vacancy in an election year?

What does who controls the Senate have to do with not filling a vacancy in an election year?

What does an election year have to do with filling a SCOTUS seat?

"There's nothing in the Constitution that says the president stops being the president in his last year," - Ruth Bader Ginsburg 2016

In the world of debating, my last post here is what's called Game, Set, Match. Thanks for playing.

As it is....the Democrats have no right to interfere with the normal operation of the government just because they find it to be political in nature.

They have a right to interfere based on the standard Republicans set on replacing judges in an election year.

Because you believe that Biden meant he would NOT have confirmed a Democrat nominee for SCOTUS in 1992. You actually believe that.

Sure you do, sure. Obviously you don't, which is why you keep hiding from the question. And if you said you believe that you'd look even dumber than hiding from the question.

Being a coward and a liar is something I never have to hide from like you do since you are a coward and a liar and I'm not
Fair enough

Biden said we shouldn’t fill a SCOTUS vacancy in an election year
McConnell refused to fill a SCOTUS vacancy for over a year in an election year.

Why are we filling one weeks before an election?
Because they can.

Hey RW. Here's what you do.

Imagine it is the Democrats who have the Presidency, the Senate and a SCOTUS vacancy.

There you go, question answered.

In these cases you need to ask yourself if you're being hypocritical. The answer is always yes, you are. Then you can use that formula to answer your own questions.

I didn't just give you a fish, I just taught you to fish. Cool, huh?

Forum List

Back