College General Education

MarkyMark

Rookie
Feb 20, 2014
Why are students forced to take gen ed courses in college? This is just another example of the college taking advantage of the student and squeezing more money out of the already empty student wallets. The next expert molecular biologist is currently wasting his time and money in a health and phys ed class when he could be researching disease.

The economy might be struggling right now but MarkyMark is right. Why should the costs of college be rising exponentially as it is now. Are they just expecting students to accumulate a ton of debt? That also has repercussions to the economy. So much debt with only a fraction able to pay it off.

I guess it comes down to the meaning of "higher education."

If you want to go to a trade school to be a technician of some sort, then go to a trade school. If you pursue a college degree - even a specialized one like accounting, engineering, or pre-med - the college has an obligation to at least expose you to the arts and humanities.

In most colleges, those requirements are minimal and not terribly demanding. The fact that you are bitching about the requirement is an indication that maybe you need that sort of "education."

If you want to go to a trade school to be a technician of some sort, then go to a trade school. If you pursue a college degree - even a specialized one like accounting, engineering, or pre-med - the college has an obligation to at least expose you to the arts and humanities.

In most colleges, those requirements are minimal and not terribly demanding. The fact that you are bitching about the requirement is an indication that maybe you need that sort of "education."

Why don't you go ahead and enlighten me the true meaning of "higher education." What's the purpose of spending money taking arts if I'm not going to be an artist? Does art make me a better person with higher morals?

The economy might be struggling right now but MarkyMark is right. Why should the costs of college be rising exponentially as it is now. Are they just expecting students to accumulate a ton of debt? That also has repercussions to the economy. So much debt with only a fraction able to pay it off.

Sadly, college cares more about the big dollars then your advancement. This is very bad for the health of our nation.

College should be made public and free like France! Free as in the same free as our public schools...

Sadly, college cares more about the big dollars then your advancement. This is very bad for the health of our nation.

College should be made public and free like France! Free as in the same free as our public schools...

To bad the far left made things this way, but hey that is the way you like to vote.

Yeah, we live in a world where students are almost taken advantage of. Degrees are becoming more worthless as prices rise, and colleges need to milk all the cash they can get out of the failing system.

I would agree that college should expose you to arts and humanities, but should they regulate what classes you take and how many of each you take? For example, some state universities require students to take a certain number of credits in each of the arts, social sciences, and humanities. Why shouldn't students be allowed to take classes of their choosing within these topics?

Forum List

Back