College football playoffs and bowls were aweful

As much as I hate fatty patterson. That TCU comeback was pretty epic

No offense, but who was watching that exactly?

The major bowls were a train wreck.

When the Stanford band starts playing the Farmers.com dating site them it about says it all.

So do you want to see Iowa play in a Rose Bowl against Stanford who has not gone to a Rose bowl in about 300 years or do you want to see Ohio State who won a National Championship last year with pretty much the same players?

Hell, why was Stanford and OSU both not in the playoffs?

The same teams that lose keep on losing and the same teams that win just keep on winning.

Why is this not considered with these bowl picks?

Ratings plummeted and the games were pretty much all blow outs.

You're kind of all over the board here. Do you want MORE blowouts and uninteresting games or LESS? You can't have both at the same time.

We had the BCS system and people bitched and complained because there was always an "odd-man-out" who didn't get their shot. So now we have this 4-team playoff which is supposed to settle that problem but people are still bitching because someone is getting left out. Well... if we have an 8-team playoff... guess what? Someone will still get left out and people will still bitch... PLUS we will have a few more blowouts and uninteresting games!

The ratings were down because the idiots in charge decided to play the national playoff games on fucking New Year's Eve! New Year's Day would have been better... or today, the Saturday after NYD. Everyone has parties to attend on NYE.,.. it was just a stupid idea that failed miserably from a ratings perspective.

The games were the two matchups everyone needed to see in order to feel like we gave every legitimate team a shot at the championship. But... just as predicted, there will always be someone who feels their team got left out. It doesn't matter if we have 4 teams, 8 teams, 16 teams or 32. Someone will be moaning about poor Idaho State who was #33 and MIGHT have won if they had only been included!

Ohio State lost to Michigan State this year, who Alabama just embarrassed. And here you are thinking they should be in the conversation. Stanford won the PAC this year but the PAC sucked balls. They were good but I doubt they could stay on the field with either of the two teams playing for the championship. I think we got the best two programs in the country set to play for the title as it should be. I'm a huge Alabama fan and I think the game will be close.

Now.. the remaining invitational bowl games are not there for your entertainment... I know that may be a hard concept to swallow... but they are more about the money and commerce of the cities who host them. They are an important part of local economies and a tradition. We're not going to see them go away anytime soon, nor are we going to see them integrated into some expanded playoff system. There are too many entities involved to make that happen and it just would not work.

In general there are just way too many bowl games IMO. Used to it was a reward to go to a bowl game for having a good season. Now days other than a few games, it is all about money.
There have been several teams with 6-6 records, and if I am not mistaken, there was at least 1 with a losing record.

More of an Oregon meltdown than anything else.
The Duck back-up QB's have been terrible this season, and the back-up center simply choked, he couldn't hike a ball through a barn door. Absolutely terrible.

I've only watched one full bowl game and part of another.

I loved watching Bama dominate MSU, and I watched part of the Clemson v. Ok game.

If you watched all the bowl games, you obviously want to see more and more football, regardless of whether you care about the teams playing. If so, you have plenty to watch. If not, turn the goddamn tv off and find something useful to do.

Michigan State was just awful and had no business being there. I hat to say it, but there is a smell of everyone gets a trophy with no significance.

LSU should of played Florida State,

The bowl games used to revolve around how early or late your game is. Everyone wanted to play in Jan but now its all out of whack. We had the Rose Bowl yesterday and I think the Blue Bonnet or some other toilet bowl was after?

They need to expand to 8 teams

-Geaux

Michigan State was just awful and had no business being there. I hat to say it, but there is a smell of everyone gets a trophy with no significance.

LSU should of played Florida State,

The bowl games used to revolve around how early or late your game is. Everyone wanted to play in Jan but now its all out of whack. We had the Rose Bowl yesterday and I think the Blue Bonnet or some other toilet bowl was after?

-Geaux

I don't think they were awful until they played Bama. Connor Cook is one of the best QBs to play for MSU, according to the info out before the Cotton Bowl.

No offense, but who was watching that exactly?

The major bowls were a train wreck.

When the Stanford band starts playing the Farmers.com dating site them it about says it all.

So do you want to see Iowa play in a Rose Bowl against Stanford who has not gone to a Rose bowl in about 300 years or do you want to see Ohio State who won a National Championship last year with pretty much the same players?

The same teams that lose keep on losing and the same teams that win just keep on winning.

Why is this not considered with these bowl picks?
TCU was down 31 nothing and came back and won the game in overtime. Largely due to player injuries and mishaps by Oregon.
OSU??? Urban Meyer is disliked out here in the Mountain West. He still refuses to call byu by name. He always has some cute remark to make about them. Glad to see that punk out of the playoff.
Standfords defensive coordinator lance Anderson is right here from Burley Idaho. Stanford has been a little inconsistent.

More of an Oregon meltdown than anything else.
The Duck back-up QB's have been terrible this season, and the back-up center simply choked, he couldn't hike a ball through a barn door. Absolutely terrible.
When they played Utah, did you see the Utah player drop the ball before crossing the goal line? I was hoping that would cost the Utes the game. But Oregon got fooled on a few trick plays and Utah won

The ratings for the playoff games were bad...because they should have been. Put games like that on New Year's Eve? Put them on 1/2/16 instead you'd have seen much better ratings.

As for games being blowouts, well some of the teams obviously came to make a point...some were just happy to be there.

Stanford was there to make a point for next year. They did.

I don't care who you put against Alabama if they play like that, they'd have skulldrug anyone around the field.

I watched the TCU game. Oregon totally imploded, both the players and the coaches. If they'd just run the ball the whole 2nd half TCU wouldn't have had enough possessions to score enough points. Under center though, that center couldn't get one back to the QB.

I totally disagree. I hear people argue this a lot and we'll probably end up with it but I think it will ruin a good thing. I like the format as it is because I think it gives us just the right amount of games and legitimately settles the question of who is the best on the field. Expanding only expands the possibility of a fluke team lucking out at the right time and winning the championship.

We actually already DO have a more expanded playoff, we just don't call it that. The conference championship games are ostensibly a playoff game. Yes, one conference is going to be left out but it's going to be the weakest conference. This pressures every team in the conference to make it the best it can be. I do think the Big 12 need to play a championship game and the Independents need to join one of the power five. If it's expanded, there is no pressure on anyone to do any of this. Instead, there becomes the expectation that your crappy team deserves to be in the playoffs by default.

The teams already play a very tough and grueling schedule. These are not pro athletes, they are college students. They're not getting paid to travel the country and play football and every snap, they risk a career-ending injury. Adding two more premier high-level major games at the end of an already tough road, is a recipe for disaster. You run the risk of a really good deserving team like Clemson, going undefeated and winning their conference, only to go into this "half-a-season" playoffs set up, get banged up and injured up in the first game against a scrappy team trying to make a statement but with no business being there... then they have 3 more tough opponents to play but no time to overcome the injuries. Then you have a team like Stanford or OSU, who play cupcakes all year and come into the playoffs strong and ready to play. Again, you're going to end up with fluke teams winning a lot of nattys.

The 4 teams who the committee select are legitimately deserving teams who should be in the conversation for who is best in a given year. Anyone else is a "what about" consideration who really doesn't belong there. And expanding will NEVER please everyone. You'll still have people who complain their team didn't make the cut. If you can't be one of the best four after all the conference title games and season, you don't deserve to be there.

ALSO... there is the increased problem of what to do with all these bowl games. You can't do away with them because it's a 100+ year tradition and these cities depend on the bowl game for tourism dollars. You also can't really incorporate the playoff grid into the bowls without creating awful mismatched games that fans will not travel to attend. Say you end up with Stanford vs. Iowa in the Peach Bowl... you won't get 30k people at that game. Even with the pros, the playoffs are played at one of the team's home venues so there is a fanbase who will come to the game. You can get away with this when you only have 4 teams because they can be matched up like they were this year, where the fanbase will fill up the stadium to see their team play for the chance of going to the championship game. And if you segregate the playoff games from the actual bowl games, that gives you more sorry teams in bowls with losing records.

I think 6 is the right number based off the current conference setup.

The power 5 have a really good way to earn their way in, and an extra spot for a team that's deserving.

Those conferences all however need to go to 14 teams, and have a playoff game. That gives you 70 teams in the major conferences, and about 60 in the lesser. By aggressive scheduling the lesser conferences can get in, but it'll be tough. It should be tough.

While I believe 4 teams is optimal, I would be more willing to see 6-teams as opposed to 8. However, this introduces the 'unfairness' of a bye for the top two. At the college level this can make a huge difference in outcome. You will then have an ongoing controversy over who gets those two coveted spots and who gets 'knocked down' and has to play one extra game.

Bowl games were a big let down. Let's hope the championship game is good, of course depending on who you are rooting for your definition of a good game can vary. I thought the Bama game was the only fantastic bowl game this season.

While I believe 4 teams is optimal, I would be more willing to see 6-teams as opposed to 8. However, this introduces the 'unfairness' of a bye for the top two. At the college level this can make a huge difference in outcome. You will then have an ongoing controversy over who gets those two coveted spots and who gets 'knocked down' and has to play one extra game.

No less fair than the NFL format. Which I like.

I think 8 is too many, dilutes the product a bit too much.

Bowl games were a big let down. Let's hope the championship game is good, of course depending on who you are rooting for your definition of a good game can vary. I thought the Bama game was the only fantastic bowl game this season.

I thought it was pretty excellent too. But then, I am a huge fan of good defense. And that game was textbook.

The ratings for the playoff games were bad...because they should have been. Put games like that on New Year's Eve? Put them on 1/2/16 instead you'd have seen much better ratings.

As for games being blowouts, well some of the teams obviously came to make a point...some were just happy to be there.

Stanford was there to make a point for next year. They did.

I don't care who you put against Alabama if they play like that, they'd have skulldrug anyone around the field.

I watched the TCU game. Oregon totally imploded, both the players and the coaches. If they'd just run the ball the whole 2nd half TCU wouldn't have had enough possessions to score enough points. Under center though, that center couldn't get one back to the QB.

I agree with "I don't care who you put against Alabama if they play like that, they'd have skulldrug anyone around the field.". When Bama is focused and firing on all cylinders, they are a force to be reckoned with.

Forum List

Back