collective punishments

amity1844

Jun 1, 2014
Since I frequently argue that what the debate needs is a sense of proportion, I thought I would post this to show what the fallout has been since the three young Yeshiva students went missing:

From Mondoweiss:
Israeli soldiers have killed 3 Palestinians in week since teens went missing | Mondoweiss

2nd Palestinian youth dies after being shot by Israeli forces
RAMALLAH (Ma‘an) 20 June — A 22-year-old youth on Friday succumbed to wounds sustained during an Israeli military raid on Qalandiya refugee camp south of Ramallah, making him the second Palestinian to be killed by Israeli forces since the morning. Mustafa Hosni Aslan was shot in the head by Israeli forces when they raided the camp before dawn on Friday, one of three Palestinians wounded in the camp.
14-year-old Palestinian shot dead by Israeli forces in Dura
HEBRON (Ma‘an) 20 June — Israeli forces shot and killed a 14-year-old Palestinian boy after clashes erupted early Friday morning during a raid on the southern West Bank village of Dura, near Hebron. Local sources told Ma‘an that Mahmoud Jihad Muhammad Dudeen was struck by live bullets in the chest before being taken to Hebron Governmental Hospital, where he was shortly pronounced dead.
Palestinian man dies of heart attack as Israeli troops raid home
SALFIT (Ma‘an) 21 June – An elderly Palestinian man died early Saturday of a heart attack during a heated argument with Israeli troops who broke into his house in the village of Haris in Salfit district in the northern West Bank.

This is what an Israeli military operation in Hebron looks like
972blog 20 June by Akram Natsheh — In its invasion of the city, the army has not shied away from using live fire, blowing up the doors of homes and shops and maintaining a closure on thousands of people. The goal? Demonstrating its invincible power — Nour Al-Kawasma, an eight-year-old resident of Hebron, will never forget how Israeli forces suddenly declared war on his home. The young boy is still hospitalized with a head wound, days after Israeli soldiers detonated the front door of his house.
Video: Israeli soldiers invade more Palestinian homes in Hebron
HEBRON, Occupied Palestine (ISM Khalil Team) 18 June — Yesterday the Israeli army invaded a family house in the H1 area, supposedly under full Palestinian Authority civil and security control, of al-Khalil (Hebron). The father of the family is very ill with heart disease; the family was forced in to one room and was not allowed to leave. The eight Israeli soldiers used the house as an unofficial army post, both to rest and to view the area. The soldiers stayed there overnight, terrifying the family, as they had no idea when the soldiers would leave. At approximately 11:00 am, the soldiers left the house, however they informed the family that they would return. The soldiers then entered the next house, relatives of the same family, with four young children. First they searched the house, and then occupied the children’s room on the second floor. They moved the children’s beds to get more space and placed a black blanket to cover the doorway. The soldiers took shifts, sitting in front of the room watching the family, while the rest were sleeping, eating, and viewing the area. The family told the ISMers present that the soldiers also took showers. The soldiers seemed very uncomfortable with the ISM volunteers in the house, and behaved very aggressively towards them, and the family members who were taking photos.
Hebron losses ‘$10m daily’ during siege
HEBRON (Ma‘an) 21 June — Productivity in the Hebron marketplace has decreased 50 percent after a week of Israeli siege in search of three missing settlers, according to a Palestinian businessman. Mohammad Nafeth al-Herbawi, the head of the Palestinian businessmen forum in Hebron, told Ma‘an that the city suffers around $10 million in losses daily, while laborers are losing around $2 million. “The continuation of the siege will affect the social, economic and daily situation of life for residents of the district,” al-Herbawi said. “Twenty-thousand workers within the Green Line (Israel) are deprived of their work, and businessmen are deprived of traveling and even reaching other cities.” He added that some companies and factories have been forced to release a large number of workers, which will lead to dire social conditions.
Families bear brunt as Israel hunts teens
TAFFUH, West Bank (AFP) 18 June — It was the sound of the front door being kicked in that woke the Izrayqat family early on Wednesday as Israeli troops barged into their home in Taffuh village near Hebron. Even the four children were sleeping because school had ended and the summer holidays were already underway. “They kicked in the doors at 07:30 (04:30 GMT) and told us to get out,”
TAFFUH, Palestine
Whatever the Israel Defence Force (IDF) was doing in this hilltop village, it clearly did not want an audience. Sitting in a house a few streets away, Mohammed Mahmoud Ruziqat, 64, had already witnessed the Israeli military’s push into villages such as Tafuh, part of a campaign to find three teenagers kidnapped outside a settlement just a few kilometres away from Hebron on June 12. On Sunday, around 30 soldiers arrived at his son’s front door demanding somewhere to sleep for the night. After herding the family out of the house and into his own, Mr Ruziqat, his son and grandchildren had to wait until the following night before the soldiers left and his son’s family could return. But the father of 13 — who has five sons and eight daughters in all — said it was his two granddaughters, Nangis, 5 and Yasmeen, 6, who had been most affected by the incident.
BETHLEHEM (Ma‘an) 20 June — Five Palestinians were injured and around 30 detained in Bethlehem’s Duheisha refugee camp early Friday morning after clashes broke out when hundreds of Israeli soldiers stormed the area in a military raid early Friday. Local sources said that approximately 1,000 Israeli soldiers encircled the camp and the nearby area of Al-Salam southwest of Bethlehem overnight Friday as part of a massive search operation being carried out for three Israeli youths who went missing last week.
Israeli forces raid Arab American University in Jenin.
JENIN (Ma‘an) 20 June — At least one was injured as Israeli forces carried out raids on homes across the northern West Bank region of Jenin and stormed the headquarters of the Arab American University at dawn on Friday. Security sources in Jenin told Ma‘an that Israeli forces stormed the headquarters of the university and raided the building of the Dean of Student Affairs and the Student Union, detaining a number of workers and guards who were there for a short period of time.
Israel detains 49 in large-scale West Bank arrest raids
RAMALLAH (Ma‘an) 20 June — Israeli forces detained 49 Palestinians overnight Thursday as a large-scale detention campaign continued in the occupied West Bank for the eighth day. The Palestinian Prisoners Society said Israeli forces raided dozens of homes across the West Bank, with reports of assaults and theft. In Duheisha refugee camp, Ashraf al-Jaidi was detained after being assaulted and knocked unconscious, with his family claiming that Israeli soldiers stole 2,000 shekels ($580) from his wallet.
LIVE UPDATES: Israeli forces sweeping area north of Hebron in search of the kidnapped
Haaretz 21 June – Latest updates: 10:48 A.M. Israeli troops arrested 20 Palestinians in Hebron in the West Bank overnight Saturday. (Jack Khoury) 10:33 A.M. Israeli soldiers clash with Palestinians in the West Bank city of el-Bireh near Ramallah on Saturday morning, the Palestinian news agency Ma‘an reports.
LIVE UPDATES: Israel searches for teens kidnapped in West Bank, day 8 - Diplomacy and Defense Israel News | Haaretz
HRW: Israel orders removal of security camera that showed Nakba killings
Al Jazeera America 19 June by Renee Lewis — Israeli security forces briefly imprisoned and threatened a Palestinian man whose security cameras captured the killings of two Palestinian boys in May, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said Thursday. “Israeli military officers berated Fakher Zayed, 47, for sharing the security videos with human rights groups, claimed he had lied and fabricated evidence, and threatened to bring unspecified legal actions against him if he did not remove the security cameras,”
Palestinian kidnapped by Israeli forces in Awarta
AWARTA, Occupied Palestine (ISM Nablus Team) 16 June — At approximately 2:00 AM on the 15th June, Israeli soldiers conducted a night raid in the village of Awarta near Nablus, which was one of a series of raids and closures carried out by Israeli forces, following the disappearance of three Israeli settler youth close to al-Khalil (Hebron). Palestinian witnesses state that over 50 Israeli soldiers surrounded the village. During the operation around 20 Israeli military personnel forced entry to, and stormed the home of Sameer Abu Shayb. Palestinian residents state that the soldiers were aggressive and had their faces covered. Sameer was then handcuffed and interrogated at his home over the phone by a commanding officer, for approximately 15 minutes. Sameer was not accused of any offence, but was then taken outside, blindfolded, and abducted by Israel forces.

The above excerpts are less than 10% of the items mentioned on that page.

Last edited:
They nothing but reap what they've sown:eusa_whistle:

LIPUSH!

DON'T MISS MY POINT!

THE PEOPLE THAT ISRAEL IS RETALIATING AGAINST ARE NOT THE PERPETRATORS!

The people of the West Bank did NOT kidnap those three young men. Do you see how automatic and WRONG your knee jerk reaction was? You have inadvertently provided a perfect illustration of the "collective punishment mentality."

Collective punishment is the punishment of a group of people as a result of the behavior of one or more other individuals or groups. The punished group may often have no direct association with the other individuals or groups, or direct control over their actions. In times of war and armed conflict, collective punishment has resulted in atrocities, and is a violation of the laws of war and the Geneva Conventions. Historically, occupying powers have used collective punishment to retaliate against and deter attacks on their forces by resistance movements (e.g. destroying entire towns and villages where such attacks have occurred).

Look at the Nazi collective punish of Khatyn:
Khatyn massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A convoy of Nazis was attacked by Soviet-allied insurgents and allegedly fled to a nearby town. The Nazis undertook collective punishment against the town for refusal (or inability) to turn over the attackers. This is in essence what Israel is doing.

The scale of sheer death is usually not as gosh-awful yet (although Israel has killed up to 3000+ plus Palestinians in a single incident on occasion) but the facility of denials that this IS what is happening, in the face of the fact that the dynamic is exactly the same, worries me. I think Israel is heading for a multiplicity of Khatyns.

Last edited:
They nothing but reap what they've sown:eusa_whistle:

LIPUSH!

DON'T MISS MY POINT!

The people of the West Bank did NOT kidnap those three young men. Do you see how automatic and WRONG your knee jerk reaction was?

Collective punishment is the punishment of a group of people as a result of the behavior of one or more other individuals or groups. The punished group may often have no direct association with the other individuals or groups, or direct control over their actions. In times of war and armed conflict, collective punishment has resulted in atrocities, and is a violation of the laws of war and the Geneva Conventions. Historically, occupying powers have used collective punishment to retaliate against and deter attacks on their forces by resistance movements (e.g. destroying entire towns and villages where such attacks have occurred).

A convoy of Nazis was attacked by Soviet-allied insurgents and allegedly fled to a nearby town. The Nazis undertook collective punishment against the town for refusal (or inability) to turn over the attackers. This is in essence what Israel is doing.

The scale of sheer death is usually not as gosh-awful yet (although Israel has killed up to 3000+ plus Palestinians in a single incident on occasion) but the facility of denials that this IS what is happening, in the face of the fact that the dynamic is exactly the same, worries me. I think Israel is heading for a multiplicity of Khatyns.
Where do you get those numbers and why hasn't it been made public? Wait! I know!.... It's an effing lie. Solved that!

LIPUSH!

DON'T MISS MY POINT!

The people of the West Bank did NOT kidnap those three young men. Do you see how automatic and WRONG your knee jerk reaction was?

No she doesn't see that, because she's a fucking Zionist.

And Zionists don't care about anything else, except other Zionists.

She doesn't care about truth, justice or humanity; just Zionism.

LIPUSH!

DON'T MISS MY POINT!

No she doesn't see that, because she's a fucking Zionist.

And Zionists don't care about anything else, except other Zionists.

She doesn't care about truth, justice or humanity; just Zionism.

You're a sick fuck, you know that??

Where do you get those numbers and why hasn't it been made public? Wait! I know!.... It's an effing lie. Solved that!

Its coming....
So is the Easter Bunny. So where do you come up with that body count?

It a post that I really have to do but it makes me so sick I can't quite even bring myself to do the research necessary. But I will do it before the week is out, I promise.

Prove the kidnapping story was a lie.
I did.

I brought attention to the fact, that no evidence has been provided they were kidnapped.

They simply said they were.

Hahahaha how the fuck is that proving anything??

Whenever there is a story of a Palestinians getting killed, you never question the article. Or an article of a farmer getting shot.

Wha evidence do you need exactly??

Its coming....
So is the Easter Bunny. So where do you come up with that body count?

It a post that I really have to do but it makes me so sick I can't quite even bring myself to do the research necessary. But I will do it before the week is out, I promise.
Spare me the histrionics. I wouldn't want you to get a muscle pull. Do you realize if Israel killed a bunch of people it would be on leftwing newscasts for months. So far I haven't heard all your gloom and doom. Anywhere.

Forum List

Back