CO town proposing mandatory voting

chanel

Silver Member
Reaction score
Me neither although its an interesting proposition. I just think voting is license to bitch. If you don't participate - STFU.

Paulie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Me neither although its an interesting proposition. I just think voting is license to bitch. If you don't participate - STFU.
So if there's no one on the ballot you feel is worthy of your vote, you don't get to complain?

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Reaction score
Not voting is as much of a statement as voting is. You're saying you don't endorse the system or the horrible choices put forth.

rikules

fighting thugs and cons
Reaction score

perhaps NOT voting is a persons' way of expressing his/her political beliefs.

seems to me that freedom of speech means that a person has a right to NOT vote AND to complain...

Dr Gregg

Rookie
Reaction score
Oy vey, some of the shit you hear coming out of colorado is unbelievable.

Forced voting. First off, do you really want people that don't care voting in elections because they are forced to.

peter

Reaction score

Forced voting. First off, do you really want people that don't care voting in elections because they are forced to.
Some countries understand it as your duty to vote. For example: Australia.

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Reaction score

Well we value liberty here in the U.S. There is no duty to vote, only the individual choice to do so.

Sherry

You're not the boss of me
Reaction score

Yeah, it could be like that group who campaigns to "vote for the worst" on American Idol.

peter

Reaction score

Well we value liberty here in the U.S. There is no duty to vote, only the individual choice to do so.
I understand. I like I don't need to vote when I'm disappointed from politics.

Dr Grump

Gold Member
Reaction score
I must say, I do find it uncomfortable that there is compulsory voting in Australia. I am not a citizen here so don't vote. I probably won't become one either unless the country really starts going to the dogs.

You get fined $50 per election if you don't vote. Some people are more than happy to pay the price. The original logic behind the compulsory voting was to force people to become involved in their democracy (I know, irony abounds). However, you don't have to vote for anybody. You can just put a line through your ballot. In saying that, Australia has one of the most complicated, but fair, voting systems in the world...

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Voting is a privilege granted to registered voters. It is not required to vote. Colorado is full of shit.

All I really have to do is be white and die!

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Voting is a privilege granted to registered voters. It is not required to vote. Colorado is full of shit.

All I really have to do is be white and die!
You don't even have to be white. Ever seen Soul Man?

Dr Gregg

Rookie
Reaction score

YOu really want people that don't care to vote based on eeny meanie miney mo, which I'm sure they would do

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List