“Climate Change in Your Face” — Great Barrier Reef Suffers Second Consecutive Mass Bleaching as Pote

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
“Climate Change in Your Face” — Great Barrier Reef Suffers Second Consecutive Mass Bleaching as Potential for Record Warm 2017 Looms

On March 2nd, 2017, the Great Barrier Reef was already starting to show signs of bleaching. After suffering a worst-ever coral bleaching event in 2016, concerns were high that warmer waters could again strike the reef — spurring a second consecutive mass die-off. Even worse, some scientists were concerned that 2017’s bleaching could exceed the intensity of the record 2016 event.

Now it appears that just such a catastrophe is underway. And scientists expect about 2/3 of the world’s largest reef to experience bleaching over the next couple of months.

Wow, that is a large percentage of the lower food chain....Playing with fire we're.

“Climate Change in Your Face” — Great Barrier Reef Suffers Second Consecutive Mass Bleaching as Potential for Record Warm 2017 Looms

On March 2nd, 2017, the Great Barrier Reef was already starting to show signs of bleaching. After suffering a worst-ever coral bleaching event in 2016, concerns were high that warmer waters could again strike the reef — spurring a second consecutive mass die-off. Even worse, some scientists were concerned that 2017’s bleaching could exceed the intensity of the record 2016 event.

Now it appears that just such a catastrophe is underway. And scientists expect about 2/3 of the world’s largest reef to experience bleaching over the next couple of months.

Wow, that is a large percentage of the lower food chain....Playing with fire we're.

If only we built more windmills, this wouldn't happen.

Mass bleaching?

Summer%20Article1-1--ts-2015-05-05T23%3A06%3A50_395%2B01%3A00.jpg

I guarantee it's not temperature related at all. A

Coral has a lifespan anyway.

It could be some kind of foreign plankton or any damn thing, really.

So an aerial observation while flying overhead is their assessment?

No diving down for core samples to find anything out?

No consultation with Marine Biologists?

"We flew over and there was some white, so it must be global warming"

Thank you for your non-scientific conclusion without any studies done.

Now go choke yourself, Private Pyle!

:anj_stfu: :Boom2::disagree::finger3::lame2::poop::wtf:

Last edited:
It's the California cows farting the globe up.

Why only the California cows?

Seriously though, that's the biggest fail of an OP and article I've seen in quite a while.
Sarcasm. California has cow fart regulations.
Cow Fart Regulation Passed Into California Law
Tied to 90 million for them and garbage collectors? Most of SC's dairy farmers moved out of state. They followed Kraft to Idaho. Now they have cow shit there in huge piles along the freeway and lots of residue going into the Aquifer which makes its way to the River.

Has anybody blamed trump yet?

Seriously though, that's the biggest fail of an OP and article I've seen in quite a while.
Tied to 90 million for them and garbage collectors? Most of SC's dairy farmers moved out of state. They followed Kraft to Idaho. Now they have cow shit there in huge piles along the freeway and lots of residue going into the Aquifer which makes its way to the River.
We can say with confidence then that they have shitty water...

Then maybe don't have the cow grazing so close to the river.

Along the freeway? Ain't no grass really grows on concrete and asphalt last I knew. They don't have barbed wire there?

Along the freeway? Ain't no grass really grows on concrete and asphalt last I knew. They don't have barbed wire there?
The Aquifer spreads underground there several miles wide. Heck INEL is over a 150 miles away but their nuclear trash wound up polluting the river there too.

Yup cow poo piles rows next to the freeway. Its still a pretty remote area. Not a lot of grazing goes along in those type dairy feedlots. They just have small pasture areas for their cows there. I am not sure if they have any regulations on a certain amount of land per cow or not. I doubt they do. I'll ask next time I go out there.

The Aquifer spreads underground there several miles wide. Heck INEL is over a 150 miles away but their nuclear trash wound up polluting the river there too.

Yup cow poo piles rows next to the freeway. Its still a pretty remote area. Not a lot of grazing goes along in those type dairy feedlots. They just have small pasture areas for their cows there. I am not sure if they have any regulations on a certain amount of land per cow or not. I doubt they do. I'll ask next time I go out there.

Why would they pile the poo next to the highway? It does make good fertilizer.

A rule of thumb for beef farmers is 1 acre per cow. Do you know how much filtering happens as water seeps down to the aquifer through the ground?

It's pure by the time it gets there.

Last edited:

A rule of thumb for beef farmers is 1 acre per cow. Do know how much filtering happens as water seeps down to the aquifer through the ground?

They eventually pull it and put it on the fields. Nope not enough ground to filter it out before it hits the aquifer. Between the cows, fish farms and cities along the river its getting pretty nasty. The town we lived in we used to pay twenty-five dollars a month max for all the water we could possibly use. (it was free except maintenance charges until they put in sewage facilities and that is when went to 25. a mo) The water got so polluted from the farms above the canyon that they couldn't use the natural spring water anymore so had to drill a deep well and build new pipelines, etc.

It's weather. It has always been weather, regardless of how it is acting right now or in the 1700's. Or the 700's. Solar Max, solar min. and there is nothing you can do to mitigate it, reverse it or maintain it. They know that. You do not.

Do you remember when they blackmailed us with "global warming"? They took advantage of a solar max cycle, and convinced you it was your fault. They were so successful that we gave them tons and tons of money to give away. Now we are starting into a solar minimum flaring period, so they had to come up with a new label, to make you think you are now responsible for the weather changing, and that you should send all your money to whoever sticks their hand out. It is utterly insane.

Especially when the come right out and laugh in your face.
The very man in charge of giving away our money said this to you. He thinks you are delusional if you think this has anything to do with environment:
"Free yourself from the illusion that climate change has anything to do with the environment."

Then he tells you exactally what he is doing with your hard earned cash:
"IN REALITY, we redistribute your wealth."

And still you moan, "The weather's changing, the weather's changing. Take my money, PLEASE!" :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

A rule of thumb for beef farmers is 1 acre per cow. Do know how much filtering happens as water seeps down to the aquifer through the ground?

They eventually pull it and put it on the fields. Nope not enough ground to filter it out before it hits the aquifer. Between the cows, fish farms and cities along the river its getting pretty nasty. The town we lived in we used to pay twenty-five dollars a month max for all the water we could possibly use. (it was free except maintenance charges until they put in sewage facilities and that is when went to 25. a mo) The water got so polluted from the farms above the canyon that they couldn't use the natural spring water anymore so had to drill a deep well and build new pipelines, etc.

Cow poo isn't exactly super-toxic or anything.

Only place I've seen it piled up is in trailers and stalls.

It would be a good idea to keep it from running off into a river if the concentration is heavy.

A simple ditch could fix that. :booze:

Cow poo isn't exactly super-toxic or anything.

Only place I've seen it piled up is in trailers and stalls.

It would be a good idea to keep it from running off into a river if the concentration is heavy.

A simple ditch could fix that. :booze:
Fish poo isn't that toxic either but too many nutrients along with the chemicals every day they wash down with is a bit too much with giant lots like that.

I guarantee it's not temperature related at all. A

Coral has a lifespan anyway.

It could be some kind of foreign plankton or any damn thing, really.

So an aerial observation while flying overhead is their assessment?

No diving down for core samples to find anything out?

No consultation with Marine Biologists?

"We flew over and there was some white, so it must be global warming"

Thank you for your non-scientific conclusion without any studies done.

Now go choke yourself, Private Pyle!

:anj_stfu: :Boom2::disagree::finger3::lame2::poop::wtf:
Smart assed little cocksucker, aren't you. Since you linked to nothing but your stinking asshole, we know what your opinion is worth and where it comes from.

http://cramp.wcc.hawaii.edu/Downloads/Publications/BC_Jokiel_2004_bleaching_chapter.pdf

The Bleaching Phenomenon Reef corals are symbioses that consist of an animal partner and dinoflagellate algae commonly known as zooxanthellae. This delicate association functions only within a very narrow range of environmental conditions in shallow tropical seas (Wells 1957). The symbiosis is thought to have developed as a means of coping with very low concentrations of nutrients in tropical marine waters (Muscatine and Porter 1977). This association provides benefits to both partners. The zooxanthellae are primary producers and supply their coral hosts with photosynthetic products vital to meeting their energetic requirements. In return, the zooxanthellae receive living space and nutrients in the form of waste metabolic products from the host. The tight cycling within the symbioses facilitates the high productivity and calcification rates observed in corals (Falkowski et al. 1984)

. “Coral bleaching”occurs when environmental conditions disrupt the symbiosis, leading the degeneration and/or expulsion of zooxanthellae from the coral host.As a result of photosynthetic pigment loss,the white skeleton becomes visible through the transparent coral tissue, giving the organism a “bleached”white appearance. Bleaching is fatal to the coral unless the symbiotic relationship can be quickly re-established. Reef corals play a central role in coral reef communities, so their continued health is of critical importance. Since the 1980s, spectacular regional bleaching events have occurred on coral reef areas throughout the world with increasing frequency and increasing geographic extent. These mass bleaching events correlate with elevated sea surface temperatures (SST). The mass bleaching phenomenon is believed to be associated with global warming due to anthropomorphic release of carbon dioxide and other gasses (reviewed by Jokiel and Coles 1990; Williams and Bunkley-Williams 1990; Glynn 1991, 1993; Goreau 1992; Pittock 1999; Fitt et al. 2001). The issue of global warming and mass coral bleaching will undoubtedly continue to be a major concern in the field of coral reef ecology

Forum List

Back