Classic tomato sandwich...

I dont know what they did this year for the peaches but man are they good!!!
The Wife will generally pick up one peach to test em out and 9 times out of 10 it gets tossed in the garbage.
I haven't had a peach this good in ten years,I'm going through em as fast as the Wife can buy em.
We have at least 50 peaches on the peach tree and they are wonderful.

One tree produced a bumper crop and the other only one or two.

After the floods here in Oz tomatoes are about $5/lb and lettuces $10 each....prices coming down now.

But my "survival" sandwich when at Uni many years ago was peanut butter on one slice, vegemite on the other (both buttered; no margarine), tomato and cheddar cheese sliced THICK in the middle.

1660875329020.png

1660875531501.png

Salt and pepper with fresh onion slices if I thought of it at the time. Was meals towards the end of the week after the "fridge raid" at home on the weekends ran out. (Mum would cook all week so that we at Uni could fill up).

Very fond memories and frankly NOTHING without the tomato!!!

Greg

After the floods here in Oz tomatoes are about $5/lb and lettuces $10 each....prices coming down now.

But my "survival" sandwich when at Uni many years ago was peanut butter on one slice, vegemite on the other (both buttered; no margarine), tomato and cheddar cheese sliced THICK in the middle.

View attachment 684395
View attachment 684399

Salt and pepper with fresh onion slices if I thought of it at the time. Was meals towards the end of the week after the "fridge raid" at home on the weekends ran out. (Mum would cook all week so that we at Uni could fill up).

Very fond memories and frankly NOTHING without the tomato!!!

Greg
Ok...from top to bottom, it's bread, butter, peanut butter, cheddar cheese, tomato, Vegemite, butter, bread?

Last edited:
Yes:

Lately I've been using a Brie or more exotic cheese; yum yum!!!

Greg
Alright...I ordered some Vegemite, which has been on my list of things to try for awhile.

Can't pass on a butter, peanut butter, tomato, cheese and yeast sandwich.

That's five of my favorite things... and who doesn't like trying something new?

:thup:

I suspect Mrs Mo might long for the days when my strange sandwich was peanut butter and gherkin pickles...

Y'all just made me really really hungry. Really hungry.

Ma daddy said I take after my aunt..who loved mustard sammiches. Mustard, mayo, bacon, onions, tomato on sliced bread. BLT without the L, lol.

And maybe slap on a chunk of sharp cheddar cheese and light slice of thinly cut honey turkey breast.

Now that is a sammich! Oh, and homemade fries on the side. Sprinkled with salt, italian seasoning, garlic, dipped in ranch dressing or ketchup.

Dammit. I need to go to bed, but now I want a sammich.

Our tomato plants have been growing for months and haven't produced anything. Next year we'll try another spot in the yard and fertilize.

The best tomatoes are grown in the southern midwest. Absolutely not the California/Florida tasteless variety that fills most grocery stores.
Indiana and Ohio are the best. Perfect summers for tomatoes. They demand full hot sunny days/but also need cooler nights to reach maximum sweetness. In southern climates like Mexico/Florida etc. it is too warm at night. The tomatoes turn red too early and are more sour/acidic than the amazing midwest tomato.

I've never had a tomato sandwich, but I guess I can see the attraction. I think I'm too much of a BLT fan to stop at just putting tomato slices on the bread...

It's that time again...

You can also make your own Boursin-style cheese on your own. Me, I like my tomatoes with some melted swiss and slices of jalapeno peppers grilled in the broiler slathered with a rich mayo.

Forum List

Back