Clarence Thomas and the Billionaire.

They could be best buds. If Thomas wants to vacation with his best bud, go for it. The laws are when the best bud pays for it, the justice must report it. Thomas did not.

I'm not going to allow you to change the subject but look if you wish. I've said the whole Hunter affair appears corrupt as all get out.

you mean like Senators have to report their stock trades?

you mean like Senators have to report their stock trades?

No, because they do not have to. I 100% support laws to make that the case but unfortunately we continue to vote for politicians who look after their concerns over what they require of others.

I have to think this will get interesting. Thomas has taken a ton of trips paid for by a billionaire campaign donor.

On the surface this appears to be in violations of federal law when he reported none of them.

IN LATE JUNE 2019, right after the U.S. Supreme Court released its final opinion of the term, Justice Clarence Thomas boarded a large private jet headed to Indonesia. He and his wife were going on vacation: nine days of island-hopping in a volcanic archipelago on a superyacht staffed by a coterie of attendants and a private chef.

If Thomas had chartered the plane and the 162-foot yacht himself, the total cost of the trip could have exceeded $500,000. Fortunately for him, that wasn’t necessary: He was on vacation with real estate magnate and Republican megadonor Harlan Crow, who owned the jet — and the yacht, too.....................................

.....................These trips appeared nowhere on Thomas’ financial disclosures. His failure to report the flights appears to violate a law passed after Watergate that requires justices, judges, members of Congress and federal officials to disclose most gifts, two ethics law experts said. He also should have disclosed his trips on the yacht, these experts said.

Clarence Thomas Secretly Accepted Luxury Trips From Major GOP Donor

A bought and paid for Supreme Court judge. That's the very definition of a banana republic.
what was he collecting campaign donations for? What was he running for?

It's amazing how only Dembot Underground and Soros funded Propubic are covering this ground breaking news....

do you have any evidence that Thomas didn't pay for his fare?

No, because they do not have to. I 100% support laws to make that the case but unfortunately we continue to vote for politicians who look after their concerns over what they require of others.
Really?? Are you 100% Certain??

Nope. If Thomas can ignore laws he doesn't like, everyone can.
I'm curious as to why you call it a "gift"

If his rich friend picked him up in a very expensive car and drove him somewhere is that a "gift" too?

If he and his wife spent a weekend at the mansion of a rich friend is that a "gift"?

I'm not saying that Thomas is perfectly upright but people are still allowed to have friends ( even rich ones) and there is really no money involved in Thomas's position and no way to really know if and when any particular case is going to be heard by SCOTUS in any given year how much can he be influenced realistically?

"There are few restrictions on what gifts justices can accept."

From the article. Sounds like a problem with laws and not Justice Clarence himself. There should be laws against this sort of thing, but this has more to do with the continuing saga of Black people shall have no other thoughts than what the Democratic party demands of minorities.
Sure..

Thomas has previously characterized his vacationing tastes as modest in public interviews. “I prefer the RV parks. I prefer the Walmart parking lots to the beaches and things like that. There’s something normal to me about it,” Thomas said in a documentary about his life that Crow financed, as quoted by ProPublica. “I come from regular stock, and I prefer that—I prefer being around that.”

Clarence Thomas Has Reportedly Been Accepting Gifts From Republican Megadonor Harlan Crow For Decades—And Never Disclosed It

Clarence is a scumbag, and a whore.

Why?

Such garbage.

If it is work related sure. Is this work related or are we on a fishing trip?
The justice has stayed at Crow’s resort “every summer for more than two decades,” according to ProPublica, and reportedly makes “regular use” of Crow’s private jet, including as recently as last year and for as short as a three-hour trip from Washington, D.C., to Connecticut in 2016.

Ibid.

You people are morons.

I'm curious as to why you call it a "gift"

If his rich friend picked him up in a very expensive car and drove him somewhere is that a "gift" too?

If he and his wife spent a weekend at the mansion of a rich friend is that a "gift"?

That is how the law defines it.

Same reason a member of the military or Congress or any Fed Employee has to...to guard against undue influence.
There is no way for anyone to know what cases SCOTUS will hear in any given year and as far as I know no one really has a crystal ball

I just don't see a SCOTUS judge being influenced to any great degree as his job is never in danger and he is not an elected official.

So whenever I have people over to my house for the weekend it's a "gift" ?

No one really thinks that.

Do They work for the Fed Govt?

Are they a member of the Military?

Are they a member of congress?

The justice has stayed at Crow’s resort “every summer for more than two decades,” according to ProPublica, and reportedly makes “regular use” of Crow’s private jet, including as recently as last year and for as short as a three-hour trip from Washington, D.C., to Connecticut in 2016.

Ibid.

You people are morons.
So what. 😆

Link to some nefarious activities and you'll have my attention. As it is your paranoia means nothing

Do you work for the Fed Govt?

Are you a member of the Military?

Are you a member of congrss?

Are they giving you money and paying for all the food you all eat?
Doesn't matter.

People who work for the government are allowed to have friends.

Are you telling me that if you invite a friend of yours who is on active duty or who is a federal employee over to your house for the weekend and you feed him and take him to a ball game that he has to report those as "gifts"?

I let a friend of mine who is on the school board use my truck last weekend I better make sure he reports that as a "gift" ? right?

Do you know the relationship of those two?

When I buy friends gifts or dinner should they be required to report it to their employers?

I don't know the details but it takes more than an accusation to get the ball rolling. Like say... Hunter Bidens laptop. Anything to say on that subject?
Are you giving gifts to a Congressman, a Supreme Court Justice or President? If you are, they by law are required to report it to their bosses which should be taxpayers who support them.

Sure..

Thomas has previously characterized his vacationing tastes as modest in public interviews. “I prefer the RV parks. I prefer the Walmart parking lots to the beaches and things like that. There’s something normal to me about it,” Thomas said in a documentary about his life that Crow financed, as quoted by ProPublica. “I come from regular stock, and I prefer that—I prefer being around that.”

Clarence Thomas Has Reportedly Been Accepting Gifts From Republican Megadonor Harlan Crow For Decades—And Never Disclosed It

Clarence is a scumbag, and a whore.
In it's on article ProPublica states that there are few laws against this sort of thing for Justices. I'll take bets that the lefty judges on the SC do the same shit but won't be called out for it because they have the correct political leanings.

As I stated previously there should be laws against this but thinking this is all about ethics coming from a leftist organization like ProPublic is ignorance. The loons have been hammering on Thomas for decades. Black man not doing what is expected of him and all that.

Forum List

Back