Cindy Sheehan quits

And then of course there is this link for Commander in Chief....

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/article02/07.html

from your link the author of the constitution sed:

The Limited View .--The purely military aspects of the Commander- in-Chiefship were those that were originally stressed. Hamilton said the office ''would amount to nothing more than the supreme command and direction of the Military and naval forces, as first general and admiral of the confederacy.'' 106 Story wrote in his Commentaries: ''The propriety of admitting the president to be commander in chief, so far as to give orders, and have a general superintendency, was admitted. But it was urged, that it would be dangerous to let him command in person, without any restraint, as he might make a bad use of it. The consent of both houses of Congress ought, therefore, to be required, before he should take the actual command. The answer then given was, that though the president might, there was no necessity that he should, take the com mand in person; and there was no probability that he would do so, except in extraordinary emergencies, and when he was possessed of superior military talents.''

iow next to no powers.

As for your quote from the Commander in chief section, I notice you stopped the quote just before this part....

In 1850, Chief Justice Taney, for the Court, said: ''His duty and his power are purely military. As commander-in- chief, he is authorized to direct the movements of the naval and military forces placed by law at his command, and to employ them in the manner he may deem most effectual to harass and conquer and subdue the enemy. He may invade the hostile country, and subject it to the sovereignty and authority of the United States. But his conquests do not enlarge the boundaries of this Union, nor extend the operation of our institutions and laws beyond the limits before assigned to them by the legislative power.

and of course the link is as above...

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/c...icle02/07.html

"Section 2. The President shall be commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States"

That means use the military however he likes...

No according to Hamilton who wrote the constitution it means the pres wasn't even expected to assume the CIC responsibilities unless he was a practiced general.

And even then it was nothoing more than general responsibilities. NOT the power to declare war or manage the whole affair.

EXPRESS responsibilities over the military and almost EVERY SINGLE AUTHORITY OVER THE MILITARY were assigned to Congress.

You SOOO lose.

As for your quote from the Commander in chief section, I notice you stopped the quote just before this part....

In 1850, Chief Justice Taney, for the Court, said: ''His duty and his power are purely military. As commander-in- chief, he is authorized to direct the movements of the naval and military forces placed by law at his command, and to employ them in the manner he may deem most effectual to harass and conquer and subdue the enemy. He may invade the hostile country, and subject it to the sovereignty and authority of the United States. But his conquests do not enlarge the boundaries of this Union, nor extend the operation of our institutions and laws beyond the limits before assigned to them by the legislative power.

and of course the link is as above...

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/c...icle02/07.html

1850 was 70 years after the fact General Gunny Sarg. Hamilton was THE authority.

1850 was 70 years after the fact General Gunny Sarg. Hamilton was THE authority.

Wrong again.... First what you noted has to do with DIRECT assumption of command. Second the part I quoted is from the Supreme Court, you remember them? They determine what is and is not Constitutional?

Find me a link, cuz i have consti scholars who say otherwise.

Then you are at odds with the design of the constitution Gunny.

Congress has ALL the power to make legislation. The measly exec can veto or approve.

In exactly the same measure do you believe or not that Congress has a full right to veto any of the pres's appointments.

Veto power is identical to "advise and consent" powers.

I'm at odds with the Constitution; yet, you just said the exact same thing I did. :question:

Forum List

Back