Cigarette butts = litter in Illinois

SteadyMercury

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2013
Newly signed state bills affect drones, smokers and heroin
Under House Bill 3243, cigarette butts would be added to the list of items for which a person can be charged with a Class B misdemeanor for littering.
(...)
A careless smoker could be fined a maximum of $1,500 and face up to 180 days in jail. The statute also notes that a judge could require a scofflaw to pick up litter along a designated stretch of road for up to 30 days.
I applaud this, but why does this need legislation even need to happen for these to be considered litter? If I toss a rubiks cube or used cell phone I don't want out the window is it not considered litter because there isn't legislation specifically targeting those objects?

I'll never understand why some smokers have this attitude that a cigarette butt doesn't count. Many who would never dream of throwing a candy bar wrapper out the window have no problem doing it with a smoke, or just casually onto the sidewalk. Makes no sense.

Under House Bill 3243, cigarette butts would be added to the list of items for which a person can be charged with a Class B misdemeanor for littering.
(...)
A careless smoker could be fined a maximum of $1,500 and face up to 180 days in jail. The statute also notes that a judge could require a scofflaw to pick up litter along a designated stretch of road for up to 30 days.
I applaud this, but why does this need legislation even need to happen for these to be considered litter? If I toss a rubiks cube or used cell phone I don't want out the window is it not considered litter because there isn't legislation specifically targeting those objects?

I'll never understand why some smokers have this attitude that a cigarette butt doesn't count. Many who would never dream of throwing a candy bar wrapper out the window have no problem doing it with a smoke, or just casually onto the sidewalk. Makes no sense.

Illinois lawmakers are pissing away precious time and avoiding the unfunded pension mess, along with a host of other ailments from which we suffer.

Cigarette butts? How utterly important

Honestly...the world is going up in flames..... and all we can talk about is cigarette butts?

Oh well..... that's human mentality for ya'..... we deserve all that is it's coming ...I mean cigarette butts????

Thread of the day.:asshole:

Honestly...the world is going up in flames..... and all we can talk about is cigarette butts?
Dang sorry, should have started another thread about the media conspiracy to hide the violence of the meanie black people, my bad. Maybe something about Michelle Obama's haircut.

World up in flames? Drama queenie much?

Last edited:

Dang sorry, should have started another thread about the media conspiracy to hide the violence of the meanie black people, my bad.

I thank you for the neg rep you gave me.

I respect your feelings. :D

Dang sorry, should have started another thread about the media conspiracy to hide the violence of the meanie black people, my bad.

I just flicked a cigarette butt off my balcony. Hope my neighbors don't care. Like all the other times they didn't care.

Oh well..... that's human mentality for ya'..... we deserve all that is it's coming ...I mean cigarette butts????

Thread of the day.:asshole:

Yeah you're clearly making good use of your time, whining on and on about a state legislature's mundane legislative actions. Do you even live in Illinois?

Last edited:
(...)

It probably already IS litter they are just upping the penalty.

As a particular form of litter cigarette butts pose a poisoning threat to both wild life and small children. They are bite sized and poisonous. People also are more likely to throw butts as some smokers tend to think its not litter.

They are litter. The amazing part is those psychos didn't already have it on the books.

I was always repulsed by the attitude of smokers throwing their cigarette butt on the ground thinking.....Somebody pick that up

Even worse were the smokers who would toss their butts into a urinal knowing that some poor bastard was going to have to fish that urine soaked butt out of the urinal

I would hate to have to be the trashman who has to go along the streets and pick up every single solitary discarded cigarette butt. Talk about making civilized life civilized for the rest of us.

I was always repulsed by the attitude of smokers throwing their cigarette butt on the groundl

Exactly, why these lazy retards think it doesn't count as litter is beyond me.

Just because you smoke = free pass to throw trash on the ground everywhere. Give 'em 30 days community service picking up litter.

I would hate to have to be the trashman who has to go along the streets and pick up every single solitary discarded cigarette butt. Talk about making civilized life civilized for the rest of us.

Yes - but if you were a prisoner of the state, you'd love to be the state prisoner that gets to leave the prison to pick up butts that day.

I actually know someone who justifies littering butts on the highway by that "Those guys love to leave the jail to go pick up butts!"

I was always repulsed by the attitude of smokers throwing their cigarette butt on the groundl

Exactly, why these lazy retards think it doesn't count as litter is beyond me.

Just because you smoke = free pass to throw trash on the ground everywhere. Give 'em 30 days community service picking up litter.

Smokers have been shooting themselves in the foot by littering the butts. In places like California they are making smoking illegal on the BEACHES using the justification that there are so many butts on the ground. I can see why, who wants a beach littered with butts? The smokers that litter butts are ruining the enjoyment of smoking for those smokers who don't litter.

Forum List

Back