Christians and Anger

Some things from the N.T:

Don't associate with non-christians:

Quote:
2 John 1:10: If there come any to you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

This is about other Christians who were trying to spread false messages about Jesus, this is not about another person who believes in another religion but bishops and priests and ministries that were changing the TRUTH....how else should the Apostle John have responded?

Now If I read this correctly, I suppose you're suppose to shun me because I have opposing views.

Quote:
Romans 16:17: Now I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who create divisions and sinful enticements that oppose the teaching you have learned. Stay away from them.

Avoid Philosophy?

Again, this was about newly arisen Christian ministries spreading propaganda, lies....FALSE doctrine

Quote:
Colossians 2:8: Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

The same as above, this was about a Strong movement of False doctrine being spread among Christian churches, Christian Communities....ministries were trying to diminish Christ and make themselves more important...

Everyone will bow to Jesus, whether they want to or no

Quote:
Philippians 2:10-11: so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

There is NOTHING in this Scripture that says, "...whether they want to or not"....it is just telling you that they will....

Only God can accuse a Christian of wrongdoing.

Quote:
Romans 8:33: Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies.

I don't know about this passage and its context, but i bet if i looked it up it will not give any meaning that is even CLOSE to what your very closed and negative (i might add) :)...mind said it means!

care

Last edited:

Quote:
2 John 1:10: If there come any to you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

This is about other Christians who were trying to spread false messages about Jesus, this is not about another person who believes in another religion but bishops and priests and ministries that were changing the TRUTH....how else should the Apostle John have responded?

Now If I read this correctly, I suppose you're suppose to shun me because I have opposing views.

Quote:
Romans 16:17: Now I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who create divisions and sinful enticements that oppose the teaching you have learned. Stay away from them.

Avoid Philosophy?

Again, this was about newly arisen Christian ministries spreading propaganda, lies....FALSE doctrine

Quote:
Colossians 2:8: Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

The same as above, this was about a Strong movement of False doctrine being spread among Christian churches, Christian Communities....ministries were trying to diminish Christ and make themselves more important...

Quote:
Philippians 2:10-11: so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

There is NOTHING in this Scripture that says, "...whether they want to or not"....it is just telling you that they will....

Quote:
Romans 8:33: Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies.

I don't know about this passage and its context, but i bet if i looked it up it will not give any meaning that is even CLOSE to what your very closed and negative (i might add) :)...mind said it means!

care
i've stated he was taking those scriptures out of context

looks like he found some anti-christian site he was copy & pasting from

Last edited:

Quote:

Quote:

Avoid Philosophy?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

care

Care, that's how you read it. It obviously talks about other religions too, not just the "false lies".

Care, I was using basic common sense for the Jesus one. If it says everyone will, and obviously everyone isn't a Christian then it's saying people will even if they don't believe.

It talks about a number of things including Jesus.

Does Christianity say that anger is good? I'm just curious. It's a big subject in my path, what about in Christianity?

Jesus and Paul became angry at times, but spoke against it. Therefore, there is sinful anger and legitimate anger.

More here

The Angry Christian: A Theology for Care and Counseling
Andrew D. Lester

In this book, Andrew D. Lester, professor of pastoral theology and pastoral counseling at Texas Christian University's Brite Divinity School, helps the Christian community reliably navigate the stormy waters of anger, offering a wise and practical "theology of anger."

Too many Christians, Lester believes, have been taught that anger is always sinful. "One friend said that he didn't hear this explicit message from the pulpit, 'but it is what I heard implicitly, a part of the air I breathed [at church] but never named with words directly'—a common report from the Christians with whom I minister." Therefore many Christians, Lester notes, assume that anger is sinful and should be absent from the spiritually mature.

Lester admits that "anger that is expressed destructively toward others, ourselves, or God adversely affects our spiritual journey. Anger's power can destroy our health, our relationships, our community, and our sense of God's presence and grace." Yet Lester argues that the capacity to become angry, an attribute of Jesus himself, is a significant aspect of humanness, rather than sinfulness. That is, when we read the Bible and historic pastoral theology carefully, study Jesus' life, and examine the results of neuroscience research, we will see "that anger has its origins in creation, not our sinfulness … Anger is connected to embodiment and is a basic ingredient in the imago Dei, actually a gift from God." How so?

Lester cites Genesis 1:31, where God blesses creation and declares that "it was very good." Included in God's blessing were "the visceral, affective, emotional aspects of our existence as embodied creatures." That is, before the Fall, human beings had the ability to become angry—a reflection of both their physiology and their moral character.

Lester is more than aware of the distorting effect of human sin on the blessings of creation. He also notes that anger easily becomes a tool for evil, rather than blessing, in a world inhabited by fallen people. Still, Lester insists, anger is a gift in at least three ways.

First, the physiological and psychological ability to become angry prepares "our minds and bodies for actions that contribute to our physical and psychological survival." Second, the ability to "activate our capacity for anger" in appropriate situations continues to protect and preserve our "physical, mental, and spiritual health."

Third, a proper anger—one that reflects Jesus' occasional angry responses to evil—motivates us to speak and act when we may be tempted to remain silent and unresponsive to the vast needs and troubles of a world infected with sin. Happily, positive character traits such as "hope, courage, intimacy, self-awareness, and compassion" are birthed as we exercise a discerning, holy, loving anger.

The key to dealing with anger, then, is to recognize that we possess "the freedom to choose which events will activate our capacity for anger as well as how to express it." Lester insists, I think wisely, that simply expressing anger whenever it surges is as unwise as never expressing it at all. Maturing Christians are those who are able to discern and "decide what makes us angry."

Biblical writers ground the anger of God in the foundation of his love.

"Because God's love is heavily invested in the creation, that love becomes threatened when an aspect of the creation is being hurt or when God's desires for the creation are neglected," he writes. "Thus we may conceptualize God's anger as a response to threats to those in whom God is invested, and for whom he desires abundant life."

Similarly, love will stir anger within the disciple of Christ, particularly in the face of evil. At the same time, love will govern how we display and direct our anger. Apart from the bridling effect of love, anger spills over into self-righteousness and revenge.

As Lester puts it, "If separated from love's guiding light or foundational principles, anger's destructive powers will lead us into unethical behavior even as we try to confront unethical behavior."

Lester has provided the church with a helpful handbook on the nature, purpose, and wise use of anger. In addition, he reminds us all that anger is similar to spiritual dynamite. It is absolutely essential for certain demolition projects, but can blow up in our face if handled haphazardly. Lester's insights may deliver some readers from false misconceptions of anger that have harmed both them, their neighbors, and their enemies.

They're not out of context. They're in the context they were written in. All five are in the correct context. The only one that is even questionable is the last one because the full passage talks about Jesus Christ as well.

I know. And there are alot of these sites out there that simply have no idea the meanings of these taken out of context, passages....I was surfing some of them today....and so many people go by what these sites tell them instead of doing the same amount of research to find out the true meanings on their own.

I know. And there are alot of these sites out there that simply have no idea the meanings of these taken out of context, passages....I was surfing some of them today....and so many people go by what these sites tell them instead of doing the same amount of research to find out the true meanings on their own.

Might want to rephrase that a little Care.

And it's all about interpetation. The Catholic Church could twist the bible to say anything they wanted if they tried hard enough. The only people who truly knew what was said was the ones who originally said it themselves.

no, they are not

Read my post above.

Besides, I know I'm not going to change your mind Dive. I could sit here until my face is blue but unless I agree with you then you're not going to change your mind.

Read my post above.

Besides, I know I'm not going to change your mind Dive. I could sit here until my face is blue but unless I agree with you then you're not going to change your mind.
that post isnt true either
you can know as well
the original text is still avbailable and you can read multiple different translations as well as look up what the original text was
what you posted is totally out of context

that post isnt true either
you can know as well
the original text is still avbailable and you can read multiple different translations as well as look up what the original text was
what you posted is totally out of context

You do realize that on a bible website that I make sure I quote the passages correctly that they can be quoted in over 20-40 different fashions?

Besides, if you don't believe the original people translating this stuff added, took out, or changed some of the content then you are ignorant to the behavior of other human beings. Especially when it comes to religion, money, and of course power.

You do realize that on a bible website that I make sure I quote the passages correctly that they can be quoted in over 20-40 different fashions?

Besides, if you don't believe the original people translating this stuff added, took out, or changed some of the content then you are ignorant to the behavior of other human beings. Especially when it comes to religion, money, and of course power.
again, if they did, you STILL have the original texts to go to

sure you can, when you take them in context and who and what was being reffered to

I quoted the O.T originally in my argument and was told I couldn't do so. Supposedly because Jesus came and changed all that. Despite the fact the O.T is still taught today by the church.

I quoted the O.T originally in my argument and was told I couldn't do so. Supposedly because Jesus came and changed all that. Despite the fact the O.T is still taught today by the church.
i never told you that

what i DID tell you was that you had taken them out of context
which you had

Forum List

Back