Chimpanzee Personhood Effort Fails First Legal Tests in New York

What's the difference between a chimpanzee and a career welfare recipient? They both have to be cared for.

While I don't think higher order animals (primates, dolphins/orcas, elephants etc.) should be given "personhood" or the exact same rights as humans, I do think they deserve more protection than other kinds of animals. I'd love to see their captivity phased out of theme parks, circuses, and zoos (unless having them in a zoo is critical for the survival of the species). I'd also like to see their use in medical research eliminated unless their use is also deemed essential (the research cannot be conducted in any other manner and the research itself is considered critical to human health, like say research for a cure for cancer).

While I don't think higher order animals (primates, dolphins/orcas, elephants etc.) should be given "personhood" or the exact same rights as humans, I do think they deserve more protection than other kinds of animals. I'd love to see their captivity phased out of theme parks, circuses, and zoos (unless having them in a zoo is critical for the survival of the species). I'd also like to see their use in medical research eliminated unless their use is also deemed essential (the research cannot be conducted in any other manner and the research itself is considered critical to human health, like say research for a cure for cancer).

I wonder about that sentiment "higher order" and ask the question higher in who's eyes? They are not people but why are they not equal?

Forum List

Back