Chicago Teachers: Apparently a 16 percent raise not good enough

Chicago teachers were offered a 16 percent raise (during a bad economy).

Chicago teachers strike for first time in 25 years; contingency sites ready, charters remain open - Chicago Sun-Times

And Chicago teachers are already the highest paid in the nation at $76,000 before benefits! I'm assuming they have lofty medical/pensions that pushes that number into six figures!

How Much Do Chicago Public School Teachers Make? « CBS Chicago

This is why people just don't give an f about public unions any more. They think they can get grossly over compensated and hold us hostage at any moment.

I didn't see where it said they offered them 16 percent more money but with doubling of their work hours and work load 16 % would be a pay cut.

I'm pretty sure that 16 percent is the base (not including extra hours). But it doesn't matter b/c 16 percent is just what was offered. They demand 35 percent when the rest of us can't even find jobs.

Chicago teachers strike for first time in 25 years; contingency sites ready, charters remain open - Chicago Sun-Times

And Chicago teachers are already the highest paid in the nation at $76,000 before benefits! I'm assuming they have lofty medical/pensions that pushes that number into six figures!

This is why people just don't give an f about public unions any more. They think they can get grossly over compensated and hold us hostage at any moment.

I didn't see where it said they offered them 16 percent more money but with doubling of their work hours and work load 16 % would be a pay cut.

I'm pretty sure that 16 percent is the base (not including extra hours). But it doesn't matter b/c 16 percent is just what was offered. They demand 35 percent when the rest of us can't even find jobs.

I'm not sure of the payment structure but i do know teachers do a lot of work during the school year.

I'm not sure of the payment structure but i do know teachers do a lot of work during the school year.

I'm guessing that you're a teacher and that you dont' want to get this.

No ! I can't take kids for more than a couple hours.

I'm guessing you are not a teacher and that you don't want to hear a different perspective.

Here is an opportunity to get a posh job making 75,000 a year, three month vacation, good health benefits. seems like the opportunity of a lifetime for some unemployed. And with so many teachers leaving every year these jobs are always open to new candidates. But I do wonder why so many teachers leave?

so you have never taken masters level courses to keep your job?

No. I'm self employed.

time: @ 20 hours a week give or take

Cost: anywhere from $650 to $1100 plus books and materials

So, 20 hours a week for 1 summer every 5 years. That's a pretty leisurely summer, but not as much as the other 4 summers. $1100 every 5 years to maintain certification seems reasonable.

Averaged over 5 years that comes down to $4.23 and under 5 minutes per week. That's hardly grueling.

No. I'm self employed.

So, 20 hours a week for 1 summer every 5 years. That's a pretty leisurely summer, but not as much as the other 4 summers. $1100 every 5 years to maintain certification seems reasonable.

Averaged over 5 years that comes down to $4.23 and under 5 minutes per week. That's hardly grueling.

no you take two courses evey 5 years.

how many do you take?

Oh and don't forget that they get 3 months vacation and a generous allotment of sick days too.

They are striking because the dont want to be held accountable for the miserable job they are doing.

No for the miserable job their students are doing.

I know of NO teacher that enjoys the fact that students miss class, don't do homework, don't pay attention, disrupt class, bully others, cry in class due to homelife or breaking up with boyfriends, and trying to text during class.

If teachers want the best for their students and enough students do all or some of the above, who do you think is at fault?

Obviously the new whipping boys and girls in society, teachers.

With what I've read on this forum I thank God I'm retired...

I'm out of patience here.

Recently a good friend and fellow teacher died from cancer. It was touching to be at the funeral home, hugging and tearing up with all the former students he and I had, to see the outpouring of affection for two (the deceased and myself) of what you on here often call failures on here, I say to each and every one of you ignorant fools:

Fuck you!

no you take two courses evey 5 years.

how many do you take?

I'm self employed. I'm always taking courses. Some are formal graduate level, others are not what academics consider to be educational. Education is between 50 and 200 hours a year for me.

Retards like you should be prevented from starting threads:

In any event, a 16 percent raise over 4 years works out, at best, to a four percent annual raise.

Except that…

Second, as Doug Henwood points out, Chicago is also asking the teachers for a 20 percent longer school day. Once you take that and inflation into account, the four percent annual raise works out to be a cut, not a raise.

Third, according to the Chicago affiliate of ABC News—Moran’s network—David Vitale, head of the Chicago School District, says that the city is offering a 3 percent raise the first year, and 2 percent raises for the remaining three years of the contract. That hardly works out to a 16 percent raise. 9 percent at best. As Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, a Chicago resident and history grad student at Northwestern, explains to me, the city hasn’t revealed how it came up with that 16 percent figure, but the best guess is that it includes other things like step increases, which are based on seniority. Contrary to what Moran suggests, it is in no way is an increase in base pay.

Fourth, as Doug also points out, BLS statistics indicate that the average pay for Chicago teachers is $55-60 thousand, not $74,000.

And fifth, the Times takes great pains to stress that it is citing management numbers. Setting aside the fact that those numbers appear to be wrong, how hard is it for Moran—a journalist—to take that into account in his statements? Even the most simpleminded definition of objectivity—report both sides of the story—would suggest a certain degree of skepticism on his part.

Okay, that’s all that the level of the facts. But let’s assume for the sake of the argument that Moran had his facts right. There still remains this question, which I posed to Moran in a followup tweet and never got an answer to.
Terry Moran: How much fucking money do you make a year? « Corey Robin

This is sooo fucking easy! :lol:

Last edited:

In any event, a 16 percent raise over 4 years works out, at best, to a four percent annual raise.

Except that…

Second, as Doug Henwood points out, Chicago is also asking the teachers for a 20 percent longer school day. Once you take that and inflation into account, the four percent annual raise works out to be a cut, not a raise.

Third, according to the Chicago affiliate of ABC News—Moran’s network—David Vitale, head of the Chicago School District, says that the city is offering a 3 percent raise the first year, and 2 percent raises for the remaining three years of the contract. That hardly works out to a 16 percent raise. 9 percent at best. As Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor, a Chicago resident and history grad student at Northwestern, explains to me, the city hasn’t revealed how it came up with that 16 percent figure, but the best guess is that it includes other things like step increases, which are based on seniority. Contrary to what Moran suggests, it is in no way is an increase in base pay.

Fourth, as Doug also points out, BLS statistics indicate that the average pay for Chicago teachers is $55-60 thousand, not $74,000.

And fifth, the Times takes great pains to stress that it is citing management numbers. Setting aside the fact that those numbers appear to be wrong, how hard is it for Moran—a journalist—to take that into account in his statements? Even the most simpleminded definition of objectivity—report both sides of the story—would suggest a certain degree of skepticism on his part.

Okay, that’s all that the level of the facts. But let’s assume for the sake of the argument that Moran had his facts right. There still remains this question, which I posed to Moran in a followup tweet and never got an answer to.

They are also fighting for smaller class sizes.

Don't post facts. Many on here feel facts spoil a good tussle.

Many just grab a bumper-sticker slogan and run with it...

Why exactly are the teachers in Chicago being given a 16% raise when they are already some of the highest paid in the country and their pay and benefits are one of the main causes of budget shortfalls for the city? HELLO!!! Are you kidding me?

The reason this strike will ultimately blow up in the Teacher Union's collective faces is that the taxpayers are weary of paying through the nose for public sector employees and then seeing the lackluster performance that comes in return. You want big raises...but you don't want badly performing teachers fired? Not gonna happen!

I'm amused by how progressives like Deanie HOWLED at how Scott Walker was out to "destroy" Wisconsin's educational system when he did what Rahm Emanuel is doing yet you don't hear a PEEP out of them condemning the Democratic Mayor of Chicago.

Why exactly are the teachers in Chicago being given a 16% raise when they are already some of the highest paid in the country and their pay and benefits are one of the main causes of budget shortfalls for the city? HELLO!!! Are you kidding me?

The reason this strike will ultimately blow up in the Teacher Union's collective faces is that the taxpayers are weary of paying through the nose for public sector employees and then seeing the lackluster performance that comes in return. You want big raises...but you don't want badly performing teachers fired? Not gonna happen!

I'm amused by how progressives like Deanie HOWLED at how Scott Walker was out to "destroy" Wisconsin's educational system when he did what Rahm Emanuel is doing yet you don't hear a PEEP out of them condemning the Democratic Mayor of Chicago.
You obviously didn't read the my post, two posts before yours.

I warned you about this place.

Ignorance is bliss for many.

If you delve into a subject deeper than a bumper sticker slogan you'll be ignored.

So let me get this straight, Synth...teachers should get more money to immunize themselves from the ravages of inflation...inflation that is being brought on in large part because our government leaders are printing dollars like never before in order to stimulate an economy that is wallowing along because progressive policies have been so ineffective...progressive policies that liberal teacher's unions have supported with millions of their dollars? Is that what you're selling?

Gosh, I feel so bad for them when you put it THAT way...

Except that…

They are also fighting for smaller class sizes.

Don't post facts. Many on here feel facts spoil a good tussle.

Many just grab a bumper-sticker slogan and run with it...

If they knew the facts, they wouldn't have the beliefs they have.

Forum List

Back