Cheese making.

I have a refrigerator that has been set up just for curing cheese. You also have to keep the humidity at a minimum level, too. Keeping pans of water in the bottom serves acceptably well.

Good. This is what I had planned. I have a frige in the garage that has been keeping beer and colas in it. I'll move those to the house and use that one for cheese. If the temp will go up to 55.

My cheese "cabinet" stays at around 50-52F. A little low but it just means a longer ripening time for most cheeses. Where temp is really critical is when you start making moldy cheeses, like Brie or bleu.

The troubleshooting section of Rikki's book says that cheddars can get oily if the temperature is higher than60 degrees. I live in Florida. :(

I have a refrigerator that has been set up just for curing cheese. You also have to keep the humidity at a minimum level, too. Keeping pans of water in the bottom serves acceptably well.

Good. This is what I had planned. I have a frige in the garage that has been keeping beer and colas in it. I'll move those to the house and use that one for cheese. If the temp will go up to 55.

My cheese "cabinet" stays at around 50-52F. A little low but it just means a longer ripening time for most cheeses. Where temp is really critical is when you start making moldy cheeses, like Brie or bleu.

Apparently the highest I can get my fridge to go is 44 degrees. Unless I can figure something else out, it will take eons for my cheese to cure. :(

Apparently the highest I can get my fridge to go is 44 degrees. Unless I can figure something else out, it will take eons for my cheese to cure. :(

hhhhmmmm .....

maybe this will help.... :dunno:

How to Convert a Refrigerator for Curing Meat or Aging Cheese

How to Convert a Refrigerator for Curing Meat or Aging Cheese | Have YOU Ben Starr Struck?

hhhhmmmm .....

How to Convert a Refrigerator for Curing Meat or Aging Cheese | Have YOU Ben Starr Struck?

Lol, all hail the Queen of the Internet!

hhhhmmmm .....

what do you think?????

will that work out for you??????

hhhhmmmm .....

what do you think?????

will that work out for you??????

Fortunately I have a brother who is an electrician. If I didn't, I'm afraid I'd be out of luck. That was all french to me.

Been in Chicago with my wife who is taking care of her sick mother. It put a delay into my refrigerator modifications.

Back now and ready to get at it.

sorry about the MIL....

now get on it....i want to know if it works!!!!!

sheesh

:)

So yesterday was my 2nd oldest daughter's birthday. We (her older sister myself and some of her friends from work)were at a beer and wine bar. WE got drunk and when I got home I saw that there was a package for me on my doorstep. It was the regulator I ordered for my refrigerator.

So despite the fact that I was pretty sauced at the time, I installed it. Got up this morning at it's working fine. The temp in my fridge was 58 degrees!

My buttermilk cheese needs at least a month to age, the more, the tastier. The cheddars need 3 months, again the longer the sharper.

Later on today I'm going to collect the ingredients to make a block of parmesan!

So yesterday was my 2nd oldest daughter's birthday. We (her older sister myself and some of her friends from work)were at a beer and wine bar. WE got drunk and when I got home I saw that there was a package for me on my doorstep. It was the regulator I ordered for my refrigerator.

So despite the fact that I was pretty sauced at the time, I installed it. Got up this morning at it's working fine. The temp in my fridge was 58 degrees!

My buttermilk cheese needs at least a month to age, the more, the tastier. The cheddars need 3 months, again the longer the sharper.

Later on today I'm going to collect the ingredients to make a block of parmesan!

Let me know how the Parmesan goes. My recipe is pretty labor intensive, calling for frequent turning.

Let me know how the Parmesan goes. My recipe is pretty labor intensive, calling for frequent turning.

Looking over the recipe I have, mine is the same. I also am going to have to order the lipase powder and thermophilic starter. Up until now I've been using mesothermic. So while I'm waiting for those to arrive, I'll make another wheel of cheddar.

Looking over the recipe I have, mine is the same. I also am going to have to order the lipase powder and thermophilic starter. Up until now I've been using mesothermic. So while I'm waiting for those to arrive, I'll make another wheel of cheddar.
pics!!!

I got some fresh cultures today. I'm looking forward to trying them. I've been making loads of mozzarella since I ran out of mesophilic culture a couple of weeks ago. I even smoke some mozzarella. It's extra tasty smoked.

I got some fresh cultures today. I'm looking forward to trying them. I've been making loads of mozzarella since I ran out of mesophilic culture a couple of weeks ago. I even smoke some mozzarella. It's extra tasty smoked.

nom, nom, nom...

pics!!!

The pics aren't much to look at.

I have a smoker that is just waiting it's turn!

Rikki Carrol's book even has a bit about smoking cheese, I believe.
I failed a second batch of cheese in two days. I'm not sure what's going on. I used fresh culture today and the curds were beautiful. After I put them in the mold, they puffed up like marshmallow. Tomorrow, I'm going to bleach all my equipment again and see whether that helps. That's eight gallons of milk, literally down the drain.

Rikki Carrol's book even has a bit about smoking cheese, I believe.
I failed a second batch of cheese in two days. I'm not sure what's going on. I used fresh culture today and the curds were beautiful. After I put them in the mold, they puffed up like marshmallow. Tomorrow, I'm going to bleach all my equipment again and see whether that helps. That's eight gallons of milk, literally down the drain.

Wow! I haven't had that happen to me yet. Let us know when you find out what the problem is.

Cheddar fresh out of the press.

Attachments

• $10-14-2013 5-38-28 PM.jpg
    $10-14-2013 5-38-28 PM.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 212

Forum List

Back