Cheese making.

That's a grocery store, yes? Man, I haven't ever been able to get grocery store milk to turn into decent cheese. I guess I'm a little spoiled because I just march out to the barn and squeeze mine fresh. Right now, I've just got the goats, but I'm considering getting a milch cow after I get the barn finished and settled in to my Willow digs. Probably looking at 2019 for that project. Next year, I'll get some chickens...love fresh-picked hen fruit.

I am not having a lot of trouble, except for the mold. I'd love to be able to get milk fresh like that but there's a farmers co-op that is running a racket here taking advantage of the hipster crowd. They charge upwards of $18 a gallon for their milk and goats milk is $27 a gallon. I won't pay that.

Last week I started making my own cheese. I've been wanting to do that for a long time. My first try will be ready when I get home tonight. I don't know what kind of cheese it is called, it's very very basic:

Milk, Cultured Buttermilk, rennet, salt. And real animal rennet, not this vegetarian rennet bull shit. Make the curds, throw out the whey, press it into the form, cure it in the fridge. It will be cheese tonight and I can eat it or coat it in wax and age it a few weeks. This first batch I am planning to not age. It was my first try and it only went so-so. The 2nd attempt which i am curing for two weeks instead of one isn't ready yet.

Now that I've gotten a general understanding, I'm going to try some Farmhouse Cheddar. I innoculated my sterile milk with the mesophilic starter culture early this morning. Can't wait to see how that goes when i get home.

I love doing this kind of thing.
With aged cheeses it can be a bit frustrating like wine making because you don't know whether it's good or a total failure until several years. And really you put quite a bit of money and work into something that you may just end up dumping.

It takes patience. Lots of patience.

It took me several tries before I made some decent parmesan.

Last week I started making my own cheese. I've been wanting to do that for a long time. My first try will be ready when I get home tonight. I don't know what kind of cheese it is called, it's very very basic:

Milk, Cultured Buttermilk, rennet, salt. And real animal rennet, not this vegetarian rennet bull shit. Make the curds, throw out the whey, press it into the form, cure it in the fridge. It will be cheese tonight and I can eat it or coat it in wax and age it a few weeks. This first batch I am planning to not age. It was my first try and it only went so-so. The 2nd attempt which i am curing for two weeks instead of one isn't ready yet.

Now that I've gotten a general understanding, I'm going to try some Farmhouse Cheddar. I innoculated my sterile milk with the mesophilic starter culture early this morning. Can't wait to see how that goes when i get home.

With aged cheeses it can be a bit frustrating like wine making because you don't know whether it's good or a total failure until several years. And really you put quite a bit of money and work into something that you may just end up dumping.

My parms are pretty decent. I would like for them to have a little more pungeant flavor than they do but you only have to take a sniff now to know what it is.

That's a grocery store, yes? Man, I haven't ever been able to get grocery store milk to turn into decent cheese. I guess I'm a little spoiled because I just march out to the barn and squeeze mine fresh. Right now, I've just got the goats, but I'm considering getting a milch cow after I get the barn finished and settled in to my Willow digs. Probably looking at 2019 for that project. Next year, I'll get some chickens...love fresh-picked hen fruit.

I am not having a lot of trouble, except for the mold. I'd love to be able to get milk fresh like that but there's a farmers co-op that is running a racket here taking advantage of the hipster crowd. They charge upwards of $18 a gallon for their milk and goats milk is $27 a gallon. I won't pay that.
Holy Cow! And I mean that literally as well as figuratively. Charging for milk like that, the animals must have been at the christ child's manger. I don't blame you, I wouldn't pay that either. But if the hipsters can afford that and are willing to pay it, can you really blame the farm coop for milking them? [pun intended]
If you've sanitized everything, including the refrigerator you use to cure your cheese in, I'm not sure what help to offer. Do you use bleach or commercial, food grade sanitizer? Have you tried boiling all your utensils, etc before sanitizing them? I use the commercial sanitizer for both my cheese and mead making equipment. It's worked well, so far.

Cool! Another fromager. How long have you been making cheese? What types of milk do you use, and where do you get your milk? What types of cheeses do you make?

Holy Cow! And I mean that literally as well as figuratively. Charging for milk like that, the animals must have been at the christ child's manger. I don't blame you, I wouldn't pay that either. But if the hipsters can afford that and are willing to pay it, can you really blame the farm coop for milking them? [pun intended]
If you've sanitized everything, including the refrigerator you use to cure your cheese in, I'm not sure what help to offer. Do you use bleach or commercial, food grade sanitizer? Have you tried boiling all your utensils, etc before sanitizing them? I use the commercial sanitizer for both my cheese and mead making equipment. It's worked well, so far.

Which commercial sanitizer

New Topics

Forum List

Back