Cheese making.

About the same here, a gallon equals about a pound of cheese. Moist cheeses, like chevre and blanco are a bit heavier, drier cheeses result in slightly less weight per gallon of milk.
I keep a log, as well. Especially with cheeses that require longer aging. My mead log is number, but the cheeses have years associated with their production.

Just made my first Manchego. I learned that there are 4 types depending on how long you age it.

Manchego Aceite is aged more than a year and kept in olive oil.
Manchego Viejo is aged from 3-12 months
Manchego Curado from 3-12 weeks
Manchego Fresca up to 5 days

This one will be the Viejo.

Just made the Manchego Curado, took it out of the brine this morning.
And....?
How is it?
I've been milking 5 does daily since I weaned the kids. Now, I'm making cheese about 4 times a week. This week, it's cheddar. I have a half dozen to wax this afternoon, as well as three gallons of milk to make into a new cheese. My smoked provolone is a hit, but I need some more sharp lipase to make more.

And....?
How is it?
I've been milking 5 does daily since I weaned the kids. Now, I'm making cheese about 4 times a week. This week, it's cheddar. I have a half dozen to wax this afternoon, as well as three gallons of milk to make into a new cheese. My smoked provolone is a hit, but I need some more sharp lipase to make more.

I had to remove it early due to problems with mold, but it tastes very good. It's smooth, almost like a cream cheese but firmer. I'm going to try some recipes with it soon.

And....?
How is it?

I had to remove it early due to problems with mold, but it tastes very good. It's smooth, almost like a cream cheese but firmer. I'm going to try some recipes with it soon.
Amazing how many new recipes you find using cheese when you make your own and have plenty. Where are you getting your milk, and are you using raw or processed milk? Have you noticed a difference if you use one or the other?

And....?
How is it?

Amazing how many new recipes you find using cheese when you make your own and have plenty. Where are you getting your milk, and are you using raw or processed milk? Have you noticed a difference if you use one or the other?

I've been getting mine from Publix. I tried the raw milk from local farmers co-op here, way too expensive.

And....?
How is it?

I've been getting mine from Publix. I tried the raw milk from local farmers co-op here, way too expensive.
The plus side of having my own milk production associates, plenty of fresh, raw milk to experiment with. After I get settled in my "country" place, I plan on raising Highland cattle. They're primarily meat animals, but all cows make milk, right?

My first Gouda. I must say it tastes fantastic!
image.jpeg

Hey Gallant,I'm fighting a mold problem. Any recommendations on how to deal with it?
I suspect this isn't intentional mold? Lacking further info, the best way is to completely strip and clean your curing cabinet. I use ACV, but bleach works, too. You just have to wash all the bleach out and air it until no trace remains. You can also use a commercial food-grade sanitizing solution, which I use for lots of things, including mead bottles and cheese processing tools and containers. I recommend food-grade sanitizer because you don't have to deal with the after effects of bleach.
More specific information might help. Good luck. It isn't an insurmountable problem, just a PIA.
Where are you getting your milk these days?

Hey Gallant,I'm fighting a mold problem. Any recommendations on how to deal with it?
I suspect this isn't intentional mold? Lacking further info, the best way is to completely strip and clean your curing cabinet. I use ACV, but bleach works, too. You just have to wash all the bleach out and air it until no trace remains. You can also use a commercial food-grade sanitizing solution, which I use for lots of things, including mead bottles and cheese processing tools and containers. I recommend food-grade sanitizer because you don't have to deal with the after effects of bleach.
More specific information might help. Good luck. It isn't an insurmountable problem, just a PIA.
Where are you getting your milk these days?

Before I start the process, I steam sterilize all of my equipment. Is steam not enough to kill mold?

I still get my milk from Publix. I quit going to the co-op, it was too costly and too much trouble.

Steam cleaning should be sufficient. I've not used steam but one of my milk customers discovered that if he steams his containers, he has fewer problems and his milk stays fresh much longer. He also uses steam to treat the containers he uses to can his jellies and preserves. If your containers are clean, look into the curing cabinet. Maybe you have some "leftovers" from making mold-cured cheeses?

I'm back! I had to wait all this time for the last cheese to be ready and it was a parmesan so it took until May. Wow! Eight months!

I bleached out my curing cabinets. Got rid of the wooden cheese press I had made and made one out of steel, that way I can bleach it down after each pressing.

I think that since parmesans take so long to cure, I'll make one of them first but I have to make starter. I will quickly go to making Goudas since they are so easy and turn out so well.

I'm back! I had to wait all this time for the last cheese to be ready and it was a parmesan so it took until May. Wow! Eight months!

I bleached out my curing cabinets. Got rid of the wooden cheese press I had made and made one out of steel, that way I can bleach it down after each pressing.

I think that since parmesans take so long to cure, I'll make one of them first but I have to make starter. I will quickly go to making Goudas since they are so easy and turn out so well.
Guess you got a handle on the mold problem.
Good to see you here again. Because I'm moving to my Willow place and there's so much to do to get that far, I've decreased my milk production and therefore my cheese making, at least until next year. I found an interesting recipe I'm looking forward to trying. If I can find it, haven't packed it yet, I'll try to post it for you.

Good to see you here again. Because I'm moving to my Willow place and there's so much to do to get that far, I've decreased my milk production and therefore my cheese making, at least until next year. I found an interesting recipe I'm looking forward to trying. If I can find it, haven't packed it yet, I'll try to post it for you.

Well, I HOPE I have solved the mold problem. We shall see when I make my next batch.

Well, I HOPE I have solved the mold problem. We shall see when I make my next batch.
Good luck!
Are you still using the same milk source?

Good luck!
Are you still using the same milk source?

Yeah, Publix.

That's a grocery store, yes? Man, I haven't ever been able to get grocery store milk to turn into decent cheese. I guess I'm a little spoiled because I just march out to the barn and squeeze mine fresh. Right now, I've just got the goats, but I'm considering getting a milch cow after I get the barn finished and settled in to my Willow digs. Probably looking at 2019 for that project. Next year, I'll get some chickens...love fresh-picked hen fruit.

Forum List

Back