Celebrating Memorial Day

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Probably no big deal to the post 9-11 born generation. When I was a kid it was "Decoration Day" and we had the VFW marching with fire engines and the whole nine yards down the main street of my little NY town. Little did I know that I would be a Vet. some day. I fly Old Glory every day and I even have a solar light attached to the pole (on sale at Lowes for about $10) . The kids couldn't make it down so the wife and I had a little barbeque and I sipped some Sam Adams summer ale but the kicker is that around 4PM I dragged my reproduction coehorn mortar and fired three salutes with about 3/4 oz black powder and paper wadding. Big bang and lotsa smoke.

I began working on the quilt I'm making with my late husband's shirts. He died a little over a year and a half ago of complications of his service connected illness. His grave is halfway across the country so I couldn't decorate it but the local Veterans' service organization placed a flag there.

Oh, and we had a tornado touch down about five miles away.

I was just going to do a thread on this but you beat me to it. How can we actually "celebrate" a holiday that's such a somber one?

I began working on the quilt I'm making with my late husband's shirts. He died a little over a year and a half ago of complications of his service connected illness. His grave is halfway across the country so I couldn't decorate it but the local Veterans' service organization placed a flag there.

I'm sorry for your loss but grateful of his service.

41Q1B3vMfML._AC_.jpg

The Wall freaks me out. I can't do it. I'd just as soon skip the weird set up of Korean War statues. Are they walking to chow or what?
I have friends and friend's fathers names who are on that wall. It wasn't easy but I've been there a few times. Living in NoVA right outside of DC as long as I did meant playing tour guide to everyone who visited us from out of town.

Forum List

Back