Catholics and Orthodox in Search of a Common Date for Easter

Even if the two groups , the Catholic Church and the Greeks agreed on this, there are other parties involved if you really want a unified date of Easter.

Not only various other Christian denominations, but also stock exchanges which close markets on the Easter weekend as well as various foreign governments and shopping malls that hire easter bunnies, candy and ham manufacturers, etc. Limiting the talks to two parties is a really limited exercise. If the Greeks and the Catholic agree on a date that doesn' t gibe with the determinations of the Methodists and Mormons, what date should the stock market close for good Friday.
They would follow right along. You think they really matter? Nah. The eggs and bunnies will sell today, tomorrow, another day.

Why do you think the candy manufacturers or stores will follow along with the Catholics instead of the Lutherans or Baptists when they determine when to time their candy shipments? A Jewish shopkeeper doesn't have any skin in that game.

If the RCC and Greeks decide to celebrate Easter on April 1st every year, but the Baptists disagree and continue with the current system, what should the Hindu manager of the 7-11 do?

Even if the two groups , the Catholic Church and the Greeks agreed on this, there are other parties involved if you really want a unified date of Easter.

Not only various other Christian denominations, but also stock exchanges which close markets on the Easter weekend as well as various foreign governments and shopping malls that hire easter bunnies, candy and ham manufacturers, etc. Limiting the talks to two parties is a really limited exercise. If the Greeks and the Catholic agree on a date that doesn' t gibe with the determinations of the Methodists and Mormons, what date should the stock market close for good Friday.
They would follow right along. You think they really matter? Nah. The eggs and bunnies will sell today, tomorrow, another day.

Why do you think the candy manufacturers or stores will follow along with the Catholics instead of the Lutherans or Baptists when they determine when to time their candy shipments? A Jewish shopkeeper doesn't have any skin in that game.

If the RCC and Greeks decide to celebrate Easter on April 1st every year, but the Baptists disagree and continue with the current system, what should the Hindu manager of the 7-11 do?

A Jewish shopkeeper? Yeah, right over the edge you went. Thanks for your contribution in turning the thread into a shit show.

Atheists don't have to do anything. There is no requirement to go out in the world and kick people's belief systems around. That's not how it works.

You guys have a plethora of threads to beat each other over the head with that topic.
So why can't these 2 religions agree on a date, since it's not even a real event that happened? I'll tell you, because religion is about everyone separating into their separate little group and telling their followers that everyone else is wrong, and in some cases, we should attack them.

Different calendars.

No one here is a mover and shaker. The only thing you manage to do is to shut them down. So, even if someone was inclined to listen to what you had to say before they aren't anymore and you force them into little groups.
Different calendars, lol. Well, if they all can't count the same way, they'll never get the date together. Meaning that this thread is pointless.

No, Taz. You are pointless.
So why don't they flip a coin and leave it to god?

Why should they have to? To make you happy? To simplify it for you?
They can’t seem to figure it out on their own. Flip a coin.

A Jewish shopkeeper? Yeah, right over the edge you went. Thanks for your contribution in turning the thread into a shit show.

The point is that not only are there are a lot more religious groups other than the Catholics and Orthodox who have interest in this issue, there are also a lot of people in the secular world that have an interest in the date of Easter as well.

Maybe; I recognise BOTH!!!! Both are beautiful.
Love your attitude and philosophy! I would love to see the East and West reunited though. It would be a shame for Easter to keep us separated. I could happily embrace both celebrating "The First Sunday of Easter" and the "Second Sunday of Easter." There are more than enough readings to go around (not to mention the parties).

The only way I can see it happening is if they alternate and celebrate it one way on even numbered years and the other way on odd years.
Another simple solution is that when Western Easter falls before Passover we all celebrate on the Orthodox Sunday. When Western Easter falls the Sunday after Passover, we all celebrate on the traditional Western date. Some might consider a Saturday or Passover to be right on the edge, but that can be worked out. The real challenge is that Passover can occur on any day of the week while Easter is always celebrated on a Sunday. Can both the East and West reconcile with that?

DEFLECTION
As always, we're done.

I do thank Disir for a thoughtful thread on some of the differences (starting with the dates of Easter) between the Orthodox and Catholic churches. While very close, I would like to see these two churches reunited in my lifetime. Its time has come and an issue that has ever been close to my heart.
Too bad each church thinks the other is wrong. Oh well...
One of the benefits of acknowledging the Creator of existence is we don't have to believe other religions are all wrong. That's what atheists have to do.
"One of the benefits of acknowledging the Creator of existence", you worship a philosophical concept, which I've always found a strange thing to do. If religions weren't responsible for too many wars, I'd say no biggie, but...
Until you test it for yourself, you will never know. In the meantime, I think you should keep reading these accounts like an evangelical because what could possibly go wrong with that?
I understand your philosophical concept. Always have, just don't see that in fact right now.

FYI. ancient people thought that the Bible events happened as told, until science came along. Seems like everyone but you knows that.
Got to head to the club. Tee time is in 30 minutes. You enjoy your day today, Taz. :)
Golf is for losers. I bet you take a ton of mulligans.
My GHIN handicap is 6.8. ;)

I'm still in favor of the softball game deciding who gets to choose.

I played in an adult church softball league when I was 16 and 17 back in Ohio. Now almost 50 years later I still remember a few incidents which give me thought that a softball game wouldn't be such a good idea.

The point is that not only are there are a lot more religious groups other than the Catholics and Orthodox who have interest in this issue, there are also a lot of people in the secular world that have an interest in the date of Easter as well.
Well, I can see that.

I'm still in favor of the softball game deciding who gets to choose.

I played in an adult church softball league when I was 16 and 17 back in Ohio. Now almost 50 years later I still remember a few incidents which give me thought that a softball game wouldn't be such a good idea.
I played coed for a bar one year. I'm almost inclined to agree with you.

DEFLECTION
As always, we're done.

I do thank Disir for a thoughtful thread on some of the differences (starting with the dates of Easter) between the Orthodox and Catholic churches. While very close, I would like to see these two churches reunited in my lifetime. Its time has come and an issue that has ever been close to my heart.
Too bad each church thinks the other is wrong. Oh well...
One of the benefits of acknowledging the Creator of existence is we don't have to believe other religions are all wrong. That's what atheists have to do.
"One of the benefits of acknowledging the Creator of existence", you worship a philosophical concept, which I've always found a strange thing to do. If religions weren't responsible for too many wars, I'd say no biggie, but...
Until you test it for yourself, you will never know. In the meantime, I think you should keep reading these accounts like an evangelical because what could possibly go wrong with that?
I understand your philosophical concept. Always have, just don't see that in fact right now.

FYI. ancient people thought that the Bible events happened as told, until science came along. Seems like everyone but you knows that.
Got to head to the club. Tee time is in 30 minutes. You enjoy your day today, Taz. :)
Golf is for losers. I bet you take a ton of mulligans.
My GHIN handicap is 6.8. ;)
You cheat a lot, judging by your non-linked answers here.

“Establishing a common date to celebrate Easter will not be an easy task,” said Cardinal Kurt Koch, president of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, which “welcomes the advances” made by Orthodox Bishop Job of Telmessos.

His real name Ihor Getcha, the one who symbolically occupies the seat of Telmessos (current Turkey) and since 2016, has been the permanent representative of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to the Ecumenical Council of Churches in Geneva.

For Job of Telmessos, the commemoration of the 1,700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea, in 2025, is the perfect opportunity to find a common date for Easter with Catholics, even if it means modifying the calendar in force in the autocephalous churches of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

One of the great advances of the Council of 325 was to settle the Easter controversies which, from the second century, poisoned the life of the Church.

That is going to take some work. I will be really surprised if they can pull that one off.

Why not use the same methodology used by European pagans to celebrate the holiday that commemorates the fertility goddess Eostre?

It is around the same time of the year anyways. We can even use eggs and rabbits as symbols of Christ’s sacrifice. It would be similar to celebrating Eostre as well since eggs are the most basic element of generating life and rabbits are the most efficient at generating life.

Since there is such similarities between the two celebrations, I say we use the same method for calculating Easter as European pagans used for calculating Eostre.

Who’s with me?

“Establishing a common date to celebrate Easter will not be an easy task,” said Cardinal Kurt Koch, president of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, which “welcomes the advances” made by Orthodox Bishop Job of Telmessos.

His real name Ihor Getcha, the one who symbolically occupies the seat of Telmessos (current Turkey) and since 2016, has been the permanent representative of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to the Ecumenical Council of Churches in Geneva.

For Job of Telmessos, the commemoration of the 1,700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea, in 2025, is the perfect opportunity to find a common date for Easter with Catholics, even if it means modifying the calendar in force in the autocephalous churches of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

One of the great advances of the Council of 325 was to settle the Easter controversies which, from the second century, poisoned the life of the Church.

That is going to take some work. I will be really surprised if they can pull that one off.

Why not use the same methodology used by European pagans to celebrate the holiday that commemorates the fertility goddess Eostre?

It is around the same time of the year anyways. We can even use eggs and rabbits as symbols of Christ’s sacrifice. It would be similar to celebrating Eostre as well since eggs are the most basic element of generating life and rabbits are the most efficient at generating life.

Since there is such similarities between the two celebrations, I say we use the same method for calculating Easter as European pagans used for calculating Eostre.

Who’s with me?
Some guy on the first page....................CNM.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
the simple truth is the actual religious itinerant that gave their life did so without fan fare or fame something else they must have known would be when the time came.

1617487161566.png

• Thanks
You seem to be saying that Christians are not allowed to use Spring decorations and play games that were picked up from other cultures. Sounds like ham, flowers, carrot cake, and barbecues are off limits as well. And heaven forbid there are any jelly beans in sight. I am certain nearly everyone can understand growing celebrations of redemption and the victory of life over death, and that most can do it without scowling at those celebrating.

• Funny
Ah, yet another thread on some irrelevancy or other wherein pseudo-intellectuals bash Da Evul Xians over some pointless rubbish they found in the innernetz.

Simple. Ask the Jews when Passover is. That Sunday is your Risen Day.

Forum List

Back