Catholics and Orthodox in Search of a Common Date for Easter

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
“Establishing a common date to celebrate Easter will not be an easy task,” said Cardinal Kurt Koch, president of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, which “welcomes the advances” made by Orthodox Bishop Job of Telmessos.

His real name Ihor Getcha, the one who symbolically occupies the seat of Telmessos (current Turkey) and since 2016, has been the permanent representative of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to the Ecumenical Council of Churches in Geneva.

For Job of Telmessos, the commemoration of the 1,700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea, in 2025, is the perfect opportunity to find a common date for Easter with Catholics, even if it means modifying the calendar in force in the autocephalous churches of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

One of the great advances of the Council of 325 was to settle the Easter controversies which, from the second century, poisoned the life of the Church.

That is going to take some work. I will be really surprised if they can pull that one off.

“Establishing a common date to celebrate Easter will not be an easy task,” said Cardinal Kurt Koch, president of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, which “welcomes the advances” made by Orthodox Bishop Job of Telmessos.

His real name Ihor Getcha, the one who symbolically occupies the seat of Telmessos (current Turkey) and since 2016, has been the permanent representative of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to the Ecumenical Council of Churches in Geneva.

For Job of Telmessos, the commemoration of the 1,700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea, in 2025, is the perfect opportunity to find a common date for Easter with Catholics, even if it means modifying the calendar in force in the autocephalous churches of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

One of the great advances of the Council of 325 was to settle the Easter controversies which, from the second century, poisoned the life of the Church.

That is going to take some work. I will be really surprised if they can pull that one off.

Why not play a softball game.

Winner picks the date for that year.

That's fine between the Catholics and the Orthodox, but how about the Presbyterians, Episcopalianists, Baptists, Mormons and Snake Handlers- among others?

They all celebrate Easter as well, so shouldn't they have a seat at the table?

put everydate in a hate and just pick one it wil be just as real as any date we use today

That's fine between the Catholics and the Orthodox, but how about the Presbyterians, Episcopalianists, Baptists, Mormons and Snake Handlers- among others?

They are apostates. . . so. . . I don't think the Catholics and the Orthodox care what they do.

They are apostates. . . so. . . I don't think the Catholics and the Orthodox care what they do.

The Catholics and the Orthodox don't think that highly of each other either.

Back in the 1980's, I worked in an office for a while with this Greek fellow, and we had this discussion about the right date for Easter- and made the argument that the Catholic method of figuring out Easter- 2 days after Good Friday was the correct way.

Won't they have to consult the German tribes from whom they stole the festival of Oestre?

Back in the 1980's, I worked in an office for a while with this Greek fellow, and we had this discussion about the right date for Easter- and made the argument that the Catholic method of figuring out Easter- 2 days after Good Friday was the correct way.
Catholics are allowed to take eucharist and participate at an Orthodox church and vice versa. . .

Catholics are allowed to take eucharist and participate at an Orthodox church and vice versa. . .

Catholics are allowed to go to a Snake Handling church as well.

How come no prayer session with the goddess Oestre to see what she has to say about her springtime festival being hijacked?

Why not play a softball game.

Winner picks the date for that year.
Actually, that is a fabulous idea.

How come no prayer session with the goddess Oestre to see what she has to say about her springtime festival being hijacked?
That is an excellent question and I am so glad you asked. That deserves it's very own thread. You sound intelligent enough to initiate that. This thread has more to do with calendar differences as the Orthodox continue to use the Julian calendar.

Secondly, and this one is big, I'm secure enough in my lack of belief that it isn't necessary to kick someone's High Holy Days simply because I can. If you are not, I completely understand.

This thread has more to do with calendar differences as the Orthodox continue to use the Julian calendar.

Just a wild thought....I am wondering if maybe this is the first step towards a more difficult issue to resolve? Could it be that the Greek Orthodox is willing to join the rest of the Christian world in celebrating Easter on the same day, but have in mind the next issue they might hope the Western Church will reconcile with them?

This thread has more to do with calendar differences as the Orthodox continue to use the Julian calendar.

Just a wild thought....I am wondering if maybe this is the first step towards a more difficult issue to resolve? Could it be that the Greek Orthodox is willing to join the rest of the Christian world in celebrating Easter on the same day, but have in mind the next issue they might hope the Western Church will reconcile with them?

I don't think that is ever going to happen or at least it won't happen in our lifetime. Although, they might be asking the same. When will the Western Church join them in celebrating Easter with them?

I don't think that is ever going to happen or at least it won't happen in our lifetime. Although, they might be asking the same. When will the Western Church join them in celebrating Easter with them?
The Western Church bases Easter on Passover which comes from the Jewish tradition basing that celebration on the first full moon after the Spring equinox. I very much doubt that people of the Jewish faith would want to adjust their traditions to accommodate Christian churches.

The Western Church bases Easter on Passover which comes from the Jewish tradition basing that celebration on the first full moon after the Spring equinox. I very much doubt that people of the Jewish faith would want to adjust their traditions to accommodate Christian churches.

That will never happen.

That will never happen.
I agree. That is why I am entertaining the admittedly far-out idea that the Eastern Church may be willing to give on Easter in order to gain on another issue. As the saying goes, What is the end game?

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
Ya'll can't even figure out when Jesus was born.

Forum List

Back