Catholics and Orthodox in Search of a Common Date for Easter

This thread has more to do with calendar differences as the Orthodox continue to use the Julian calendar.

Just a wild thought....I am wondering if maybe this is the first step towards a more difficult issue to resolve? Could it be that the Greek Orthodox is willing to join the rest of the Christian world in celebrating Easter on the same day, but have in mind the next issue they might hope the Western Church will reconcile with them?

Perhaps it's just brotherly love?

That's fine between the Catholics and the Orthodox, but how about the Presbyterians, Episcopalianists, Baptists, Mormons and Snake Handlers- among others?

They all celebrate Easter as well, so shouldn't they have a seat at the table?
They are apostates. . . so. . . I don't think the Catholics and the Orthodox care what they do.

The Catholics and the Orthodox don't think that highly of each other either.

Back in the 1980's, I worked in an office for a while with this Greek fellow, and we had this discussion about the right date for Easter- and made the argument that the Catholic method of figuring out Easter- 2 days after Good Friday was the correct way.
Catholics are allowed to take eucharist and participate at an Orthodox church and vice versa. . .

I was able to have my Greek Orthodox Godfather be my sponsor for my Catholic Confirmation. It required a dispensation from the Bishop's office, but it wasn't hard to get.

That wouldn't happen if he was a Lutheran, that's for sure.

Perhaps it's just brotherly love?
And a sincere desire to mend old rifts. In past years, Catholics and Orthodox have had other liturgical calendar changes that went unnoticed. For example, in the Catholic Church Jesus' Baptism began being celebrated on the same day as the Orthodox, so the Easter question didn't come out of the blue--it is just one that people outside the Church might take note of.

That's fine between the Catholics and the Orthodox, but how about the Presbyterians, Episcopalianists, Baptists, Mormons and Snake Handlers- among others?

They are apostates. . . so. . . I don't think the Catholics and the Orthodox care what they do.

Back in the 1980's, I worked in an office for a while with this Greek fellow, and we had this discussion about the right date for Easter- and made the argument that the Catholic method of figuring out Easter- 2 days after Good Friday was the correct way.
Catholics are allowed to take eucharist and participate at an Orthodox church and vice versa. . .

I was able to have my Greek Orthodox Godfather be my sponsor for my Catholic Confirmation. It required a dispensation from the Bishop's office, but it wasn't hard to get.

I had never heard of non-catholic sponsors for confirmation.

Maybe you just had a lenient bishop- maybe he would have been fine with it if you wanted a Snake-Handler friend serving in that role, provided of course he left his snakes at home?

I had never heard of non-catholic sponsors for confirmation.

Maybe you just had a lenient bishop- maybe he would have been fine with it if you wanted a Snake-Handler friend serving in that role, provided of course he left his snakes at home?

Again, once we told the office he was Orthodox, they didn't have an issue. It works the same the other way. Me and my brother were candle holders at an orthodox baptism for his son, and no one said boo about it.

It's based on the fact that orthodox can receive communion in Catholic Churches, and vice versa, the only real big fight is about the Pope being the "top bishop" as opposed to only being a first amongst equals.

Ya'll can't even figure out when Jesus was born.
Early Christians (before birthdays were even celebrated) held a belief that Jesus died on the same calendar day he was conceived. They set that date as March 25. Later, when it became fashionable to celebrate birthdays, they counted up nine months.

But you are correct. We haven't been able to locate his birth certificate ;) so we keep to the first traditions.

Early Christians (before birthdays were even celebrated) held a belief that Jesus died on the same calendar day he was conceived. They set that date as March 25. Later, when it became fashionable to celebrate birthdays, they counted up nine months.

But you are correct. We haven't been able to locate his birth certificate ;) so we keep to the first traditions.
Ya'll don't even know if he had a gf or if he was gay.

Almighty God is Normative, this we know. Otherwise He would have had no problem with the Gay Community in Sodom recruiting His angels.

• Funny
Reactions: Taz

Almighty God is Normative, this we know. Otherwise He would have had no problem with the Gay Community in Sodom recruiting His angels.
Still doesn't say whether Jesus was gay or not. Maybe that's why god let him be crucified, because he had a lust to pack fudge?

Still doesn't say whether Jesus was gay or not. Maybe that's why god let him be crucified, because he had a lust to pack fudge?

Actually, its a religious fact that Jesus H. Christ IS Almighty God.

He voluntarily died because we sinned, not because He did.

The differences between the East and the West were due (mostly) to political issues. Since 'gay' and 'gf' are political issues of our day, it is not surprising to see some using the same divisive tactics today. However, politics is not the focus of this thread; the focus is the differences between the East and the West.

One of the most interesting differences is the use of leavened bread by the Orthodox as opposed to unleavened bread used by Catholics. Not only was unleavened bread used at the Last Supper, an old tradition compared leavening with sin; unleavening with sinlessness. Personally, I think this is another difference that might be overcome, especially since Jesus taught that his words/way could be compared to leavening, in that a little leavening can permeate an entire loaf.

The East considers their top leader "The first among equals" whereas the title of the Pope includes "The servant of the servants of God." It appears both Churches see the other as using improper leadership--or, at least titles. Again, I see that as another issue that might easily be rectified.

Actually, its a religious fact that Jesus H. Christ IS Almighty God.

He voluntarily died because we sinned, not because He did.
A religious fact, lol, that's an oxymoron. :biggrin:

The differences between the East and the West were due (mostly) to political issues. Since 'gay' and 'gf' are political issues of our day, it is not surprising to see some using the same divisive tactics today. However, politics is not the focus of this thread; the focus is the differences between the East and the West.

One of the most interesting differences is the use of leavened bread by the Orthodox as opposed to unleavened bread used by Catholics. Not only was unleavened bread used at the Last Supper, an old tradition compared leavening with sin; unleavening with sinlessness. Personally, I think this is another difference that might be overcome, especially since Jesus taught that his words/way could be compared to leavening, in that a little leavening can permeate an entire loaf.

The East considers their top leader "The first among equals" whereas the title of the Pope includes "The servant of the servants of God." It appears both Churches see the other as using improper leadership--or, at least titles. Again, I see that as another issue that might easily be rectified.
HOLY DEFLECTION BATMAN!

DEFLECTION
As always, we're done.

I do thank Disir for a thoughtful thread on some of the differences (starting with the dates of Easter) between the Orthodox and Catholic churches. While very close, I would like to see these two churches reunited in my lifetime. Its time has come and an issue that has ever been close to my heart.

DEFLECTION
As always, we're done.

I do thank Disir for a thoughtful thread on some of the differences (starting with the dates of Easter) between the Orthodox and Catholic churches. While very close, I would like to see these two churches reunited in my lifetime. Its time has come and an issue that has ever been close to my heart.
Too bad each church thinks the other is wrong. Oh well...

Catholics are allowed to go to a Snake Handling church as well.
Only Polish Catholics believe that going to Pentecostal Denominations is approved by the Vatican.

:heehee:

Forum List

Back