Catholics and Orthodox in Search of a Common Date for Easter

That's fine between the Catholics and the Orthodox, but how about the Presbyterians, Episcopalianists, Baptists, Mormons and Snake Handlers- among others?

They all celebrate Easter as well, so shouldn't they have a seat at the table?
They are apostates. . . so. . . I don't think the Catholics and the Orthodox care what they do.

The Catholics and the Orthodox don't think that highly of each other either.

Back in the 1980's, I worked in an office for a while with this Greek fellow, and we had this discussion about the right date for Easter- and made the argument that the Catholic method of figuring out Easter- 2 days after Good Friday was the correct way.
Catholics are allowed to take eucharist and participate at an Orthodox church and vice versa. . .

I was able to have my Greek Orthodox Godfather be my sponsor for my Catholic Confirmation. It required a dispensation from the Bishop's office, but it wasn't hard to get.

That wouldn't happen if he was a Lutheran, that's for sure.

I had never heard of non-catholic sponsors for confirmation.

Maybe you just had a lenient bishop- maybe he would have been fine with it if you wanted a Snake-Handler friend serving in that role, provided of course he left his snakes at home?

Again, once we told the office he was Orthodox, they didn't have an issue. It works the same the other way. Me and my brother were candle holders at an orthodox baptism for his son, and no one said boo about it.

It's based on the fact that orthodox can receive communion in Catholic Churches, and vice versa, the only real big fight is about the Pope being the "top bishop" as opposed to only being a first amongst equals.
Polish Prince has no idea, he is ignorant about the dialog between the two faiths and their agreement on several points of faith and near identical doctrine. The schism at this point is merely political.

“Establishing a common date to celebrate Easter will not be an easy task,” said Cardinal Kurt Koch, president of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, which “welcomes the advances” made by Orthodox Bishop Job of Telmessos.

His real name Ihor Getcha, the one who symbolically occupies the seat of Telmessos (current Turkey) and since 2016, has been the permanent representative of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to the Ecumenical Council of Churches in Geneva.

For Job of Telmessos, the commemoration of the 1,700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea, in 2025, is the perfect opportunity to find a common date for Easter with Catholics, even if it means modifying the calendar in force in the autocephalous churches of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

One of the great advances of the Council of 325 was to settle the Easter controversies which, from the second century, poisoned the life of the Church.

That is going to take some work. I will be really surprised if they can pull that one off.
One of the great advances of the Council of 325 was to settle the Easter controversies which, from the second century, poisoned the life of the Church.
- are they settling the date or the belief. to more reflect the events of the 1st century or for christians to have another monetary day of exuberance. just for themselves.

That's fine between the Catholics and the Orthodox, but how about the Presbyterians, Episcopalianists, Baptists, Mormons and Snake Handlers- among others?

They are apostates. . . so. . . I don't think the Catholics and the Orthodox care what they do.

Back in the 1980's, I worked in an office for a while with this Greek fellow, and we had this discussion about the right date for Easter- and made the argument that the Catholic method of figuring out Easter- 2 days after Good Friday was the correct way.
Catholics are allowed to take eucharist and participate at an Orthodox church and vice versa. . .

I was able to have my Greek Orthodox Godfather be my sponsor for my Catholic Confirmation. It required a dispensation from the Bishop's office, but it wasn't hard to get.

Maybe you just had a lenient bishop- maybe he would have been fine with it if you wanted a Snake-Handler friend serving in that role, provided of course he left his snakes at home?

Again, once we told the office he was Orthodox, they didn't have an issue. It works the same the other way. Me and my brother were candle holders at an orthodox baptism for his son, and no one said boo about it.

It's based on the fact that orthodox can receive communion in Catholic Churches, and vice versa, the only real big fight is about the Pope being the "top bishop" as opposed to only being a first amongst equals.
Polish Prince has no idea, he is ignorant about the dialog between the two faiths and their agreement on several points of faith and near identical doctrine. The schism at this point is merely political.

Maybe things have changed over the past few years. I went to Serbian Orthodox funeral of one of my coworkers several years ago, and it didn't seem so "identical" to Catholicism at all. From my point of view, a Baptist liturgy was more similar.

Maybe things have changed over the past few years. I went to Serbian Orthodox funeral of one of my coworkers several years ago, and it didn't seem so "identical" to Catholicism at all. From my point of view, a Baptist liturgy was more similar.
I'm not saying that the cosmetic trappings or the ritual is identical. . . it is about belief, not process.

When I go to the Greek Festival at the Orthodox Church the next town over, it is a whole different culture, sure.

Ya'll can't even figure out when Jesus was born.
How much does it really matter to you or I, Taz?
It would help dispel the myth of Jesus.
You sound intelligent enough to initiate your own thread on dispelling the myth of Jesus.
So Jesus really did turn water into wine...? Or is that just a myth?
This is not a thread about biblical literalism. You sound qualified and should initiate a thread on it.

One of the most interesting aspects about this new cancel culture is how leftists like to shut down any conversation that is occurring about subjects they don't like as if that is the final word and that's all that it takes for major change. Unfortunately it comes off as an attempt to censor others. That isn't how human nature works and the Left will eventually have to come to terms with that. The reality is that people move the opposite direction and hold on much more tightly to their beliefs because they see a threat.

It is not my job run around the world wreaking havoc on someone's High Holy Days. Choose wisely, Taz.

Perhaps it's just brotherly love?
And a sincere desire to mend old rifts. In past years, Catholics and Orthodox have had other liturgical calendar changes that went unnoticed. For example, in the Catholic Church Jesus' Baptism began being celebrated on the same day as the Orthodox, so the Easter question didn't come out of the blue--it is just one that people outside the Church might take note of.
How did the Baptism date come about?

How did the Baptism date come about?
I really don't know that much about it, just bits and pieces. Orthodox celebrated the baptism hundreds of years before Catholics and tradition had it taking place on the same day as the Feast of the Magi (Epiphany). As I recall, Catholics originally kept these as two separate celebrations, but now try to align with the Orthodox. In the Catholic Church the liturgy is on a Sunday. I am unsure if it is always the same for Orthodox, but we do keep the Baptism of Jesus and the Epiphany celebrations together.

“Establishing a common date to celebrate Easter will not be an easy task,” said Cardinal Kurt Koch, president of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, which “welcomes the advances” made by Orthodox Bishop Job of Telmessos.

His real name Ihor Getcha, the one who symbolically occupies the seat of Telmessos (current Turkey) and since 2016, has been the permanent representative of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople to the Ecumenical Council of Churches in Geneva.

For Job of Telmessos, the commemoration of the 1,700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea, in 2025, is the perfect opportunity to find a common date for Easter with Catholics, even if it means modifying the calendar in force in the autocephalous churches of the Eastern Orthodox Church.

That is going to take some work. I will be really surprised if they can pull that one off.

I'm Orthodox and I can tell you this is unlikely to happen. The reason the Orthodox church uses the old calendar for Easter is so that it cannot occur before the Jewish Passover holiday. Passover, aka The Last Supper, was the last meal before Christ was crucified and resurrected three days later, which is of course the event commemorated by Easter (called Pascha in the Orthodox church). Currently, the Catholic and western Easter sometimes occurs before Passover, which doesn't really make sense if you think about it.

Don't they all just copy the Catholics?

I'm Orthodox and I can tell you this is unlikely to happen. The reason the Orthodox church uses the old calendar for Easter is so that it cannot occur before the Jewish Passover holiday. Passover, aka The Last Supper, was the last meal before Christ was crucified and resurrected three days later, which is of course the event commemorated by Easter (called Pascha in the Orthodox church). Currently, the Catholic and western Easter sometimes occurs before Passover, which doesn't really make sense if you think about it.
Thank you! This is information I hadn't remembered or considered. Solar/Lunar calendars can be hard to reconcile in some years.

The reason the Orthodox church uses the old calendar for Easter is so that it cannot occur before the Jewish Passover holiday. Passover, aka The Last Supper, was the last meal before Christ was crucified and resurrected three days later, which is of course the event commemorated by Easter
are you saying there are two definitions for passover - what relevance is there 13 centuries earlier for the last supper not to mention their lack of determination for the actual day for "resurrection" - having to be a sunday irregardless the actual day ... 4th century shenanigans have no limits.

why would the celebration, easter not be allowed to occur before a day of liberation. orthodox.

1st century would like to know. the answer. easter is not liberating - is it too close to liberal.

Secondly, and this one is big, I'm secure enough in my lack of belief that it isn't necessary to kick someone's High Holy Days simply because I can. If you are not, I completely understand.
No love for the German tribes then.

Sad.

The reason the Orthodox church uses the old calendar for Easter is so that it cannot occur before the Jewish Passover holiday. Passover, aka The Last Supper, was the last meal before Christ was crucified and resurrected three days later, which is of course the event commemorated by Easter
are you saying there are two definitions for passover - what relevance is there 13 centuries earlier for the last supper not to mention their lack of determination for the actual day for "resurrection" - having to be a sunday irregardless the actual day ... 4th century shenanigans have no limits.

why would the celebration, easter not be allowed to occur before a day of liberation. orthodox.

1st century would like to know. the answer. easter is not liberating - is it too close to liberal.

The meal that Christ attended, which was later referred to as "the last supper" was a Jewish Passover seder. He was crucified shortly after that meal, and resurrected three days later. The Orthodox church does not observe Easter before the Jewish observance of Passover for that reason.

The Cowboy Church of Magnolia (no denomination) where my oldest so goes had an easter thing this past Saturday- they dropped empty plastic eggs from a helicopter :rolleyes::oops:o_O

The meal that Christ attended, which was later referred to as "the last supper" was a Jewish Passover seder. He was crucified shortly after that meal, and resurrected three days later. The Orthodox church does not observe Easter before the Jewish observance of Passover for that reason.
thx -

the final chapter for the 1st century ends with the crucifixion, the reversal of noah - whether resurrected or not makes no difference for what is to be accomplished in reversing that event to bring fruition back to the religion of antiquity as prescribed. bringing them to justice is never mentioned in the 4th century.

DEFLECTION
As always, we're done.

I do thank Disir for a thoughtful thread on some of the differences (starting with the dates of Easter) between the Orthodox and Catholic churches. While very close, I would like to see these two churches reunited in my lifetime. Its time has come and an issue that has ever been close to my heart.
Too bad each church thinks the other is wrong. Oh well...
One of the benefits of acknowledging the Creator of existence is we don't have to believe other religions are all wrong. That's what atheists have to do.

Forum List

Back