Catholic univ adds "Queer Peers" mentorship program

Gays want to be treated like everyone else, so the school forms a mentoring program specifically for gays.

<blink, blink>

Why don't they just form a mentoring program for all newbies, one that anyone is free to join?

More proof that the diversity meme is just bullshit babble for special treatment.

Nothing like talking out of your ass,

"Chicago Quarter Mentors (CQMs) are an essential part of the Chicago Quarter Program and serve as a resource to new students through their transition to DePaul University."

New Student Family Engagement - Chicago Quarter Mentor

So they already have a mentoring program to help new students acclimate. One that everyone is free to join ... as I stated they should.

So why the hell do they need a special program for gays? Gays can join this mentoring program and get all the guidance they may need. Being gay isn't a disability.

Thanks for proving my point that 'diversity' is just bullshit for special treatment.
Special programs are for people with special needs. There's nothing wrong with that, if the university wants to spend their money for it.. I saw a school that had a program for students who graduated from high schools while they were incarcerated.

There's nothing wrong with special treatment. My grand kids are in accelerated programs because they do well in school. Universities offer remedial classes for kids that are having academic problems. Locally, there are parenting classes for unwed teen mothers.
just about all universities have if not a program a club or other organization that handles that.

"I know just how you feel Mr. Jones. While not gay myself, I know what it must be like because I read a lot of books about gay stuff." :)

Gays want to be treated like everyone else, so the school forms a mentoring program specifically for gays.

<blink, blink>

Why don't they just form a mentoring program for all newbies, one that anyone is free to join?

More proof that the diversity meme is just bullshit babble for special treatment.

Nothing like talking out of your ass,

"Chicago Quarter Mentors (CQMs) are an essential part of the Chicago Quarter Program and serve as a resource to new students through their transition to DePaul University."

New Student Family Engagement - Chicago Quarter Mentor

So they already have a mentoring program to help new students acclimate. One that everyone is free to join ... as I stated they should.

So why the hell do they need a special program for gays? Gays can join this mentoring program and get all the guidance they may need. Being gay isn't a disability.

Thanks for proving my point that 'diversity' is just bullshit for special treatment.
Special programs are for people with special needs. There's nothing wrong with that, if the university wants to spend their money for it.. I saw a school that had a program for students who graduated from high schools while they were incarcerated.

There's nothing wrong with special treatment. My grand kids are in accelerated programs because they do well in school. Universities offer remedial classes for kids that are having academic problems. Locally, there are parenting classes for unwed teen mothers.

Now being gay is considered a special need??? Now I've heard everything. Good grief.

What special needs are gays facing that being in the mentoring group that already exists for newbies can't address?

The general mentor thing wouldn't be of value to gay students if the mentor isn't gay is the point.

Gee, male ob/gyns better get the hell of the way then because they can't possible know anything about lady bits seeing as they don't have them themselves.

:rolleyes:

Of course it would be of value to them. It's a mentoring group for newbies. You think that straight newbies don't face the same kind of hurdles that gays do? They don't get picked on, bullied, discriminated against, ignored, confused, pressured into sex, etc.? The only thing that's different is which sex the newbie prefers, same or opposite. That doesn't warrant a special program. The existing program is inclusive ... isn't that the whole point of equality?

<blink, blink>

Educational institutions have always had special programs to help various groups acclimate to the environment. There are programs for foreign language students and students with disabilities. The purpose of these programs are to help students integrate into university life so they can be treated like everyone else.
It's an indication that our resident racists and bigots have never attended a college or university that they don't know this. It's confirmation that it is people who are of low intelligence and/or have a low educational level who tend to be racists and bigots.

This 'queer peer' program is stupid. It separates gays, rather than including them. They already have a mentoring program that addresses the hurdles that new students face. Someone explain to me why gays need their own program, explain why any hurdles gays encounter can't be handled/addressed within the existing program.
How can you say it's stupid, when you know nothing about it?

This 'queer peer' program is stupid. It separates gays, rather than including them. They already have a mentoring program that addresses the hurdles that new students face. Someone explain to me why gays need their own program, explain why any hurdles gays encounter can't be handled/addressed within the existing program.

It's a specific mentoring program for gay newbies, yes? They already have a mentoring program for newbies that is inclusive. This program is redundant.

You believe that being gay is now a special need. I don't. The more you separate gays (special programs) the more separate they will be.

Makes sense for universities to have support groups, especially LGBTQA support groups to help students that suffer bullying or hardship because of who they are.

Oh please. Bullying is bullying, regardless of the reason. Those who face bullying or hardships do NOT need to be singled/separated out from other people who face bullying or hardships. There already exists a mentoring program for newbies that is inclusive, there is no need for a separate mentoring program for gays.

<blink, blink>

Educational institutions have always had special programs to help various groups acclimate to the environment. There are programs for foreign language students and students with disabilities. The purpose of these programs are to help students integrate into university life so they can be treated like everyone else.
It's an indication that our resident racists and bigots have never attended a college or university that they don't know this. It's confirmation that it is people who are of low intelligence and/or have a low educational level who tend to be racists and bigots.

So someone is considered a bigot because they believe that gays should be included in the already existing mentoring program rather than be separated out into a special program just for gays??

<blink, blink>

So someone is considered a bigot because they believe that gays should be included in the already existing mentoring program rather than be separated out into a special program just for gays??
Yep.

<blink, blink>

Yep.

Oh, separate but equal when it fits, eh?

It's a specific mentoring program for gay newbies, yes? They already have a mentoring program for newbies that is inclusive. This program is redundant.

You believe that being gay is now a special need. I don't. The more you separate gays (special programs) the more separate they will be.
Going off to college is pretty scary for most kids. It's often the first time they've lived away from home plus there're facing a totally different academic and social environment which is costing more money than they ever dreamed of. For some young people it's much harder than others. Gays, lesbians, transgenders, foreign students, students with addiction problems, disabled students, kids with autism, and many other minorities have special needs.

LGBT students like other minority groups have special needs. First off there's housing. Not everyone will accept an LGBT roommate. Some social organization are very hostile to LGBT students, other tolerate them, and other welcome them. Mentoring programs are a very inexpensive way of helping people with special problems adjust to college.life.

Large universities have dozens of programs and organization to assist minority groups with special needs and problems. The need for these programs has grown with the diversity of college enrollment, sexually, culturally, and ethnically today compared to the mid 20th century. In the 1950's there were 4 males for every female in college and virtually no openly LGBT students. Latino students have increased from 4% to 15%. Foreign students have increased by 300%. Physically or mentally disable students in college in the mid 20th century were a rarely but are common today. Programs for LBGT students are one of many programs for students that have special needs and problems.

Makes sense for universities to have support groups, especially LGBTQA support groups to help students that suffer bullying or hardship because of who they are.

Oh please. Bullying is bullying, regardless of the reason. Those who face bullying or hardships do NOT need to be singled/separated out from other people who face bullying or hardships. There already exists a mentoring program for newbies that is inclusive, there is no need for a separate mentoring program for gays.
This program doesn't separate people. No one has to joint it and there's only one meeting a month. They just offer help for people that have special needs. Universities offer many such today. They are inexpensive since they are run mostly by volunteers. Universities try to attract the best people regardless of their sexuality, culture, or ethnicity. Programs like these help sell the university to prospective students.

Supply sodomites with new victims? I thought homosexuals were as insulted by the word queer as Black people are about the "N" word.

Going off to college is pretty scary for most kids. It's often the first time they've lived away from home plus there're facing a totally different academic and social environment which is costing more money than they ever dreamed of. For some young people it's much harder than others. Gays, lesbians, transgenders, foreign students, students with addiction problems, disabled students, kids with autism, and many other minorities have special needs.

LGBT students like other minority groups have special needs. First off there's housing. Not everyone will accept an LGBT roommate. Some social organization are very hostile to LGBT students, other tolerate them, and other welcome them. Mentoring programs are a very inexpensive way of helping people with special problems adjust to college.life.

Large universities have dozens of programs and organization to assist minority groups with special needs and problems. The need for these programs has grown with the diversity of college enrollment, sexually, culturally, and ethnically today compared to the mid 20th century. In the 1950's there were 4 males for every female in college and virtually no openly LGBT students. Latino students have increased from 4% to 15%. Foreign students have increased by 300%. Physically or mentally disable students in college in the mid 20th century were a rarely but are common today. Programs for LBGT students are one of many programs for students that have special needs and problems.

Nothing wrong with mentoring programs. But to insinuate that being gay is some kind of special need is ridiculous. Their issues can be addressed within the regular mentoring program, there is no need for a separate program.

This program doesn't separate people. No one has to joint it and there's only one meeting a month. They just offer help for people that have special needs. Universities offer many such today. They are inexpensive since they are run mostly by volunteers. Universities try to attract the best people regardless of their sexuality, culture, or ethnicity. Programs like these help sell the university to prospective students.

If this program is specifically for gays then it does separate people.

Forum List

Back