Casey Anthony and the Death Penalty

I don't believe in the death penalty.

It's not that I believe in the sanctity of life, or anything like that, I just don't trust the government to decide who they get to legally kill.

And I think that you "don't trust the government" conservatives really should agree with me here.

Or does that only apply to Obama?
This is true. I have a hard time believing anyone that calls them self a conservative while supporting the death penalty.

Yeah - this is a tough case and I feel like her parents shielded her to some degree. She may be given the death penalty but it will be 20-30 more years before all the appeals, etc. will be exhausted and the penalty is actually carried out.
OH Granny, that entire family are crazy! Casey has accused her brother of repeatedly rapping her.

The parents got 200 grand know what they did? They went on little day trips, stayed in expensive hotels, ordered room service and then they took a cruise. The day after they went on a cruise their house went into foreclosure.

The entire family are dysfunctional at best.

How does some get "rapped"?

Did her brother repeated rhyme at her, over a beat?

Yeah - this is a tough case and I feel like her parents shielded her to some degree. She may be given the death penalty but it will be 20-30 more years before all the appeals, etc. will be exhausted and the penalty is actually carried out.
OH Granny, that entire family are crazy! Casey has accused her brother of repeatedly rapping her.

The parents got 200 grand know what they did? They went on little day trips, stayed in expensive hotels, ordered room service and then they took a cruise. The day after they went on a cruise their house went into foreclosure.

doh my bad but you knew what I meant.

doh my bad but you knew what I meant.

Of course. But it's still funny.

I'm against the death penalty, primarily due to my personal beliefs.

But any case where a parent kills their own children, hell any case where a child is murdered at all, tries even my convictions. Gender shouldn't matter. Lock 'em up in general population with no possibility of parole and make sure every inmate knows he or she is a kid killer. I suspect they'll go through a lot more more hell than if they were sitting on death row.

They are pondering this.

What say you for someone found guilty of murdering their child?

Death for them too, or jail for life?

Judge: Death penalty not sexist in Anthony case - CNN.com

I'm going to have to refresh my memory on some of the facts of this case during the investigation because at one point I was beginning to think that Casey wasn't guilty. It was Caylee's grandfather who was nervously talking too much and acting as though he knew something. And didn't he find some "clues" that even the police didn't? I don't know, the whole case smelled as though the truth was still buried (no pun intended).

They are pondering this.

I'm going to have to refresh my memory on some of the facts of this case during the investigation because at one point I was beginning to think that Casey wasn't guilty. It was Caylee's grandfather who was nervously talking too much and acting as though he knew something. And didn't he find some "clues" that even the police didn't? I don't know, the whole case smelled as though the truth was still buried (no pun intended).

The original 911 call, Casey Anthony's mother called the police and said that "it smells like a dead body in my car".

Casey Anthony's father was a police officer in the homicide squad. I think that both of them knew something, but they didn't want to admit it. However, it seems that they are now both starting to look at her as the perpetrator.

Reviews of Casey Anthony's computer revealed several searches for how to make chloroform. It's also been revealed in the autopsy that Caylee had been chloroformed.

As far as I can see, she's guilty as shit, but she's got some strange charisma to her. Why else would a California bounty hunter come whipping all the way to Florida just to post her bail?

From all the stuff I've seen, she's guilty as fuck. One of the things that killed her defense was the release of the telephone conversations she'd had with her boyfriend and her parents.

Lethal injection or electric chair. Either way, if she's found guilty, I'd like to see her executed.

They are pondering this.

It's no secret to most here that I am pro-DP. I am.

WHEN there is CLEAR evidence that the condemned party is guilty. For instance, a confession from the accused perp, the perp leading the police to the body and physical evidence (semen found on/in the body) linking the accused perp to the body, as well as corroborating witnesses to the crime or crimes.

In this case, we don't have a confession, Ms Anthony did not lead the police to the body and the only physical evidence tying to her to the crime is circumstantial (IMHO) at best. There are no corroborating witnesses, so while on the face it appears that Ms Anthony is guilty, it has not been shown to be conclusive and without at doubt (up to this point, she has not even gotten to trial yet).

If conclusive evidence pointing to her guilt is uncovered, yes, I would say the DP is appropriate. Until then, life in prison without parole would be sufficient.

In the murder case I am familar with, we had a) a confession from the perp, completely and fully describing exactly how Lori was murdered b) the perp led police to her body in the woods near a creek (which would not likely have been found for months, as there is no visibility of the crime scene from a road, bike path or other traffic) and c) other physical evidence tying the perp to the crime, including a surviving corroborating witnes that placed him at the scene and witnessed Lori's murder. (see link in my sig line)

In our case, the condemned has been sentenced twice to the DP once in 1976 and again in 1999. Unanimously by two separate juries who heard the same evidence and EVERY participant from the original case was still alive in 1999 to testify against him.

I have no problem dispatching this cretin to hell personally. None whatsoever.

So, IMHO, it all depends on the case. But I am VERY pro-DP when the situation warrants it.

I'm so sorry for your loss and confess to never clicking on your link to find out what it meant. I also thank you for refreshing my memory about the Anthony case. Casey is either guilty as hell and banking on acquittal based on circumstantial evidence, or she's innocent. Just a gut feeling, but I'm sticking with the latter.

I'd love to know why we feel justified in exacting stiffer sentences against mothers who kill their kids than we do against men.

Men kill their own children and the children of other people every single day. They bash them against walls, they suffocate them, they beat them to death. They rarely spend more than a couple of years (and usually not that much) in prison.

Largely because people STILL think it's the fault of the mothers, even when somebody else does the killing.

Hell, one mom drowned all five kids in the bathtub "methodically" and got hospitalization.

They are pondering this.

I recommend this:

rth0297l.jpg

I'd love to know why we feel justified in exacting stiffer sentences against mothers who kill their kids than we do against men.

Men kill their own children and the children of other people every single day. They bash them against walls, they suffocate them, they beat them to death. They rarely spend more than a couple of years (and usually not that much) in prison.

Largely because people STILL think it's the fault of the mothers, even when somebody else does the killing.
There is some truth in what you say.

I'm against the death penalty in all cases. IMO, the government does not have the power of life or death over us.

funny as hell, you just gave obie wan a hip hip horray for the 960 billion he stole from seniors and never thought twice about those who will suffer death under the decisions of the government ..

Dearest Terry,, I'd rap the bitch too. :eusa_angel:

I'm against the death penalty in all cases. IMO, the government does not have the power of life or death over us.

funny as hell, you just gave obie wan a hip hip horray for the 960 billion he stole from seniors and never thought twice about those who will suffer death under the decisions of the government ..

Are you auditioning for the next redneck comedy tour or something?

Are you auditioning for the next redneck comedy tour or something?

is there money in it?

They are pondering this.

It's no secret to most here that I am pro-DP. I am.

WHEN there is CLEAR evidence that the condemned party is guilty. For instance, a confession from the accused perp, the perp leading the police to the body and physical evidence (semen found on/in the body) linking the accused perp to the body, as well as corroborating witnesses to the crime or crimes.

In this case, we don't have a confession, Ms Anthony did not lead the police to the body and the only physical evidence tying to her to the crime is circumstantial (IMHO) at best. There are no corroborating witnesses, so while on the face it appears that Ms Anthony is guilty, it has not been shown to be conclusive and without at doubt (up to this point, she has not even gotten to trial yet).

If conclusive evidence pointing to her guilt is uncovered, yes, I would say the DP is appropriate. Until then, life in prison without parole would be sufficient.

In the murder case I am familar with, we had a) a confession from the perp, completely and fully describing exactly how Lori was murdered b) the perp led police to her body in the woods near a creek (which would not likely have been found for months, as there is no visibility of the crime scene from a road, bike path or other traffic) and c) other physical evidence tying the perp to the crime, including a surviving corroborating witnes that placed him at the scene and witnessed Lori's murder. (see link in my sig line)

In our case, the condemned has been sentenced twice to the DP once in 1976 and again in 1999. Unanimously by two separate juries who heard the same evidence and EVERY participant from the original case was still alive in 1999 to testify against him.

I have no problem dispatching this cretin to hell personally. None whatsoever.

So, IMHO, it all depends on the case. But I am VERY pro-DP when the situation warrants it.

I'm so sorry for your loss and confess to never clicking on your link to find out what it meant. I also thank you for refreshing my memory about the Anthony case. Casey is either guilty as hell and banking on acquittal based on circumstantial evidence, or she's innocent. Just a gut feeling, but I'm sticking with the latter.

Thanks for the kind words for Lori. She is gone, but not forgotten. The anniversary of her murder is this month. A very hard time for her family....especially her mother, even after all these years. She and Lori's Dad are afraid they won't live long enough to see justice done for their little girl. She and her husband were mid-30's at the time of Lori's murder, they're now in their 70's, and GA is showing NO signs of executing him any time soon. Even after two separate penalty phase trials and several trips to the US Supreme Court.

Lori was murdered in 1974. It's now 2010. Thirty-six (36) years is a LONG time for a grieving family to wait for justice to be carried out.

During the 1999 trial, Lori's sister and I sat mere feet away from the man who killed Lori. He oozes EVIL from every pore. It is a palpable feeling...the air is thick with evil in his presence. It took everything I had not to climb over the partition that separated us in the courtroom, so that I could strangle the living shit out of him. I would have cheerfully done the deed had it not meant throwing my life away. I decided better of the opportunity--the piece of filth is NOT worth it. He's already destroyed too many lives as it is.....including his poor mother.

Now as for Casey Anthony, I'm with you. She's either guilty as homemade sin or she's so dysfunctional from her upbringing that she just *looks* guilty as homemade sin.

I had no idea until this thread how absolutely fucked up her parents are. If she's been brought up in that environment, she just might be very fucked up herself. Either fucked up enough to kill her own baby, or fucked up enough to LOOK like she did.

I'm not sure, so I'm not going to make a judgement on Casey's case. She hasn't even gone to trial yet, so we don't know all of the facts.

Hell, one mom drowned all five kids in the bathtub "methodically" and got hospitalization.

While her acts were criminal, she was crazy and not in control of her mental faculties. That makes a difference to most juries trying to apply the law.

While her acts were criminal, she was crazy and not in control of her mental faculties. That makes a difference to most juries trying to apply the law.

There is also the fact that a successful insanity defense entitles the person "getting off" to an involuntary stay at a government mental health facility for an undetermined length of time - up to and including life. It's not exactly like doing a year at Club Fed.

Forum List

Back