What's new
US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capitalism vs the free market

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you know the difference? I see alot of people here using these two terms as if they were the same thing.

Kosh

Quick Look Over There!
Reaction score
There is one far left poster on this board trying to push communist China as capitalism..

Contumacious

Radical Freedom
Reaction score
OP
S

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you know the difference? I see alot of people here using these two terms as if they were the same thing.

HUH?

WTF?

Capitalism and the FREE MARKET are interchangeable terms. You can not have one without the other.

So, we've established that at least Contumacious person does not know what they are talking about. Anyone else?

PaintMyHouse

Diamond Member
Reaction score
There is one far left poster on this board trying to push communist China as capitalism..
China is State Capitalism. Learn what that means.

PaintMyHouse

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Contumacious

Radical Freedom
Reaction score

HUH?

WTF?

Capitalism and the FREE MARKET are interchangeable terms. You can not have one without the other.

So, we've established that at least Contumacious person does not know what they are talking about. Anyone else?

So, we've established that at least SwimExpert person does not know what they are talking about. Anyone else?

Skylar

Diamond Member
Reaction score

HUH?

WTF?

I'm interested in hearing the differences. My understanding is that capitalism is defined by investments, ownership, production, etc. being determined by private individuals rather than by the State. With the free market being the primary method of that such private individuals make such decisions.

The free market would then be a mechanism of capitalism. Though not capitalism itself. The way an engine of a car makes the car go. But is not itself a car.

PaintMyHouse

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing the differences. My understanding is that capitalism is defined by investments, ownership, production, etc. being determined by private individuals rather than by the State. With the free market being the primary method of that such private individuals make such decisions.

The free market would then be a mechanism of capitalism. Though not capitalism itself. The way an engine of a car makes the car go. But is not itself a car.
That works just fine. The engine, the car, the driver, and the roads. All are required, not to mention the people who did all the work.

RoshawnMarkwees

Assimilationist
Reaction score
Free market is just what it says it is. Capitalism essentially unrestrained.
China involves capitalism but it is under the constraints of the government even more so than ours in the US.
Right now capitalism in our energy industry is under constraints applied by this crappy president and the green agenda and our economy suffers as a result.

PaintMyHouse

Diamond Member
Reaction score
China involves capitalism but it is under the constraints of the government even more so than ours in the US.
Right now capitalism in our energy industry is under constraints applied by this crappy president and the green agenda and our economy suffers as a result.
Energy is a dirty and dangerous business, and exactly why it's regulated. Had they done a better job with it it wouldn't be so highly regulated. America is a whack-a-mole nation. If you stick your head up too far and cause a problem, we smack you down. They have only themselves to blame.

RoshawnMarkwees

Assimilationist
Reaction score
Energy is a dirty and dangerous business, and exactly why it's regulated. Had they done a better job with it it wouldn't be so highly regulated. America is a whack-a-mole nation. If you stick your head up too far and cause a problem, we smack you down. They have only themselves to blame.
Well that's not what the question in the thread title is about now is it?

PaintMyHouse

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Well that's not what the question in the thread title is about now is it?
You posted it, don't blame me.

Skylar

Diamond Member
Reaction score

That works just fine. The engine, the car, the driver, and the roads. All are required, not to mention the people who did all the work.

I'm a big fan of capitalism. I'm just not an ideologue about it, recognizing that there is a place and need for capitalism to be reigned in. I look at it like....fire. Wonderfully useful, amazingly versatile, will burn the holy living fuck out of you if you leave it unchecked.

PaintMyHouse

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of capitalism. I'm just not an ideologue about it, recognizing that there is a place and need for capitalism to be reigned in. I look at it like....fire. Wonderfully useful, amazingly versatile, will burn the holy living fuck out of you if you leave it unchecked.
Yep. If you're a rational person that's how you view it but most here are nothing at all like rational.

Contumacious

Radical Freedom
Reaction score

Contumacious

Radical Freedom
Reaction score

BWahahhahahahahahah.

Be a man.

Admit that fascism/communism is what you actually meant.

How can a system be free if it it "regulated" by bureaucrats.

THINK then , and only then , post.

PaintMyHouse

Diamond Member
Reaction score
China is State Capitalism. Learn what that means.

State capitalism is actually known as mercantilism.

I'll help:

"State capitalism is usually described as an economic system in which commercial (i.e. for-profit) economic activity is undertaken by the state, with management and organization of the means of production in a capitalist manner, including the system of capital accumulation, wage labor, and centralized management."

PaintMyHouse

Diamond Member
Reaction score

BWahahhahahahahahah.

Be a man.

Admit that fascism/communism is what you actually meant.

How can a system be free if it it "regulated" by bureaucrats.

THINK then , and only then , post.

No country in the world has unregulated capitalism. Now, why is that?

Skylar

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think there's a tremendous amount of usefulness in conservatism, as they get so many things right. Their most common mistake is in assuming universal applicability and demanding a purity of application that just outstrips reason

Capitalism works because it benefits the individual and allows demand for a product or service to dictate its supply. An individual will work harder for his own benefit than he will for anothers. And the 'invisible hand of the market' in guiding supply and demand is ruthlessly effecient in finding products or services that aren't in demand and eliminating them.

But there are limits. Unchecked and unrestrained self interest is a concise 5 word description for psychopathy. The behavior of which many corporations emulate. Self interest often works for the individual benefit while harming the community at large. Pollution would be a superb example. Noncompetitive practices would be another. Exploitation would be a third.

Self interest needs to be checked by the *effects* of self interest.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$201.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List