Capitalism Guarantees Rising Inequality

Capitalism has done more good for the poor than any other system combined.
Capitalism has also created more poor people than any other system.

To illustrate how false your statement is, I was poor when I was in college. I worked about 8O hours a week to pay for school, food, apartment but never once did i blame someone else for my plight. I wasnt bitter because i didnt have this or that. I knew that it was a means to an end. The thought of having nothing, very little, paycheck to paycheck, for the rest of my life was enough to motivate me.

No one has benefitted more from capitalism more than poor people. Their quality of life is a million times better than it used to be.
Do you have any proof of that statement?

"In a world of plenty why are hundreds of millions, perhaps billions of people vulnerable at all? The vulnerable and exploited exist because of an inherently unjust social-economic system, which has caused extreme global inequality and built a divided and fractured world society."

Spotlight on Worldwide Inequality

I think it's obvious... just look at the status of poor people today compared of poor people say, just 100 years ago. The poorest of our poor have cable, TV's, cell phones, etc.

The One Chart That Proves Capitalism Works - PolicyMic

Capitalism is getting the poor in South Africa out of poverty.

It's big Government control & interference that causes more inequality.
Your link:

"That being said, this chart really does put things into perspective. While we take for granted the simple things in life, nearly 1 billion people throughout the globe are currently struggling to survive on less than $1.25 a day. While it's great to get involved and donate your time, talents, and resources to local charities, what's really going to help these families is economic liberty."

Capitalism and the governments it controls are consigning more individuals to poverty today than at any time in its history:

"The figures depicting poverty and hardship are many and varied. Over 20 per cent of the world’s population (that is 1.4 billion people) live on less than 1.25 dollars a day, 75 cents below the official World Bank poverty threshold.

"UNICEF states that 22,000 children (under the age of five; if it was six or seven the numbers would be even higher) die every day due to poverty-related issues.

"Of the two billion children in the world, half are currently living their lives in extreme poverty, with limited or no access to clean water or sanitation, healthcare and education worth the name.

"The greatest concentrations of people living below the 2-dollars-per-day poverty line are to be found in rural areas, where three in every four of those below the poverty line are to be found. Life is little better in the cities, where over half the world’s 7.2 billion population now live, one in three of whom are living in a slum."

Capitalism has done more good for the poor than any other system combined.
Capitalism has also created more poor people than any other system.

The following are facts about persons defined as “poor” by the Census Bureau as taken from various government reports:

80% of poor households have air conditioning. In 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

• 92% of poor households have a microwave.

• Nearly three-fourths have a car or truck, and 31% have two or more cars or trucks.

• Nearly two-thirds have cable or satellite TV.

• Two-thirds have at least one DVD player, and 70% have a VCR.

• Half have a personal computer, and one in seven have two or more computers.

• More than half of poor families with children have a video game system, such as an Xbox or PlayStation.

• 43% have Internet access.

• One-third have a wide-screen plasma or LCD TV.

• One-fourth have a digital video recorder system, such as a TiVo.

Understanding Poverty in the United States: Poverty USA

Do you have any proof of that statement?

"In a world of plenty why are hundreds of millions, perhaps billions of people vulnerable at all? The vulnerable and exploited exist because of an inherently unjust social-economic system, which has caused extreme global inequality and built a divided and fractured world society."

I don't really care about other countries.

Just compare the "poor" in the US to the rest of the world and you have to come to the conclusion that our system is better for poor people.

Right...fuck income inequality because our poor have microwaves! We win!

microwaves, cars cell phones etc etc. free education

The "poor" in America have it pretty fucking good

The One Chart That Proves Capitalism Works - PolicyMic

Capitalism is getting the poor in South Africa out of poverty.

It's big Government control & interference that causes more inequality.
Your link:

"That being said, this chart really does put things into perspective. While we take for granted the simple things in life, nearly 1 billion people throughout the globe are currently struggling to survive on less than $1.25 a day. While it's great to get involved and donate your time, talents, and resources to local charities, what's really going to help these families is economic liberty."

Capitalism and the governments it controls are consigning more individuals to poverty today than at any time in its history:

"The figures depicting poverty and hardship are many and varied. Over 20 per cent of the world’s population (that is 1.4 billion people) live on less than 1.25 dollars a day, 75 cents below the official World Bank poverty threshold.

"UNICEF states that 22,000 children (under the age of five; if it was six or seven the numbers would be even higher) die every day due to poverty-related issues.

"Of the two billion children in the world, half are currently living their lives in extreme poverty, with limited or no access to clean water or sanitation, healthcare and education worth the name.

"The greatest concentrations of people living below the 2-dollars-per-day poverty line are to be found in rural areas, where three in every four of those below the poverty line are to be found. Life is little better in the cities, where over half the world’s 7.2 billion population now live, one in three of whom are living in a slum."

Nope, that would be dictators and tyrants that create such slum conditions.

Right...fuck income inequality because our poor have microwaves! We win!

First of all [MENTION=24452]Seawytch[/MENTION], there is no "income inequality" and there never has been. There is only effort inequality - something Dumbocrats don't want to talk about.

Second, playing the game and using your false narrative of "income inequality", where was it written that people shall have equal incomes?

I could have greater income if I were doing something productive, rather than sitting on my ass posting in this forum.

Capitalism and the governments it controls are consigning more individuals to poverty today than at any time in its history:[/B]

Excuse the fuck out of me dingle berry, CAPITALISM do not control governments - nor is Capitalism being practiced anywhere in the world at this point in time. Nor has it been practiced in the US since , circa, 1913.

There used to be an incentive for the wealth to somewhat trickle down as a consumer with disposable income was the goal of capitalism but today the financial markets are so rigged that we are in effect paying tribute to these people and the goal is simply to skim off the top of everything while contributing little to overall prosperity.
Finance capitalism has replaced its industrial cousin to such an extent that one in four children in the US live in poverty, where the richest 1% take home 22 percent of the nation's income, and the hyper-rich 0.1% garner 11 percent.

The average US worker earns less than he did 45 years ago, and that is also the legacy of capitalism in this country

Capitalism and the governments it controls are consigning more individuals to poverty today than at any time in its history:[/B]

Excuse the fuck out of me dingle berry, CAPITALISM do not control governments - nor is Capitalism being practiced anywhere in the world at this point in time. Nor has it been practiced in the US since , circa, 1913.

Private wealth has controlled all governments since the very first.
No economic system has ever generated private fortunes as effectively as capitalism.
Why don't you give me your definition of "capitalism?"

GP, why dont you elaborate on a system that is better than capitalism. Capitalism has lifted more out of poverty than all others combined. Tell us how that can be improved upon.

georgephillips:
667.jpg

Where is Democracy to be found in a world where the three richest individuals have assets that exceed the combined GDP of 47 countries?

A world where the richest 2% of global citizens "own" more than 51% of global assets?

Ready for the best part?

Capitalism ensures an already bad problem will only get worse.

"The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) states that income inequality 'first started to rise in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s in America and Britain (and also in Israel)'.

"The ratio between the average incomes of the top 5 per cent to the bottom 5 per cent in the world increased from 78:1 in 1988, to 114:1 in 1993..."

"Stiglitz relays that from 1988 to 2008 people in the world’s top 1 per cent saw their incomes increase by 60 per cent, while those in the bottom 5 per cent had no change in their income.

"In America, home to the 2008 recession, from 2009 to 2012, incomes of the top 1 per cent in America, many of which no doubt had a greedy hand in the causes of the meltdown, increased more than 31 per cent, while the incomes of the 99 per cent grew 0.4 per cent less than half a percentage point."

There are alternatives that don't require infinite "growth."

Capitalism guarantees equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome. The quality of your outcome is totally dependent on you.
More and more in the US capitalism guarantees the single most important factor in deciding the trajectory of your life is picking the right parents.

Don't believe it?

Ask Rick:

"But many researchers have reached a conclusion that turns conventional wisdom on its head: Americans enjoy less economic mobility than their peers in Canada and much of Western Europe.

"The mobility gap has been widely discussed in academic circles, but a sour season of mass unemployment and street protests has moved the discussion toward center stage.

"Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, a Republican candidate for president, warned this fall that movement 'up into the middle income is actually greater, the mobility in Europe, than it is in America.'"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/us/harder-for-americans-to-rise-from-lower-rungs.html?hp&_r=0

This won't get better under capitalism.
It is a vicious, venal economic system that has outlived whatever usefulness it once had.

Where is Democracy to be found in a world where the three richest individuals have assets that exceed the combined GDP of 47 countries?

A world where the richest 2% of global citizens "own" more than 51% of global assets?

Ready for the best part?

Capitalism ensures an already bad problem will only get worse.

"The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) states that income inequality 'first started to rise in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s in America and Britain (and also in Israel)'.

"The ratio between the average incomes of the top 5 per cent to the bottom 5 per cent in the world increased from 78:1 in 1988, to 114:1 in 1993..."

"Stiglitz relays that from 1988 to 2008 people in the world’s top 1 per cent saw their incomes increase by 60 per cent, while those in the bottom 5 per cent had no change in their income.

"In America, home to the 2008 recession, from 2009 to 2012, incomes of the top 1 per cent in America, many of which no doubt had a greedy hand in the causes of the meltdown, increased more than 31 per cent, while the incomes of the 99 per cent grew 0.4 per cent less than half a percentage point."

There are alternatives that don't require infinite "growth."

Sure that is right!
How many of the RICHEST people of the world in 1901 had
1) cell phones ? In 2012 six million poor people have cell phones in the USA paid for by people like me that pay our cell phone bill!
Millions Improperly Claimed U.S. Phone Subsidies - WSJ.com

2) Internet access? NONE in 1901 right?
The world population: 7.0 billion internet uses 2.4 billion... hmmm...
World Internet Users Statistics Usage and World Population Stats
92 million Americans access Internet for FREE at libraries..
http://www.imls.gov/assets/1/assetmanager/opportunityforall.pdf

FREE!! Free cell phones that DIDN"T exist for the RICHEST in 1901 Free Internet didn't exist in 1901 for millionaires even!

MY point is when the USA GDP grows from $476 million in 1800 (2005 dollars) or per person $90
To 2016 GDP $16 trillion or an average of $51,000 per person.. a 57,348% increase! Wow
Measuring Worth - GDP result.

Certainly didn't grow because of communism!

Private wealth has controlled all governments since the very first.
No economic system has ever generated private fortunes as effectively as capitalism.
Why don't you give me your definition of "capitalism?"

Capitalism

Capitalism is a social system based on the recognition of individual rights, including property rights, in which all property is privately owned.

The recognition of individual rights entails the banishment of physical force from human relationships: basically, rights can be violated only by means of force. In a capitalist society, no man or group may initiate the use of physical force against others. The only function of the government, in such a society, is the task of protecting man’s rights, i.e., the task of protecting him from physical force; the government acts as the agent of man’s right of self-defense, and may use force only in retaliation and only against those who initiate its use; thus the government is the means of placing the retaliatory use of force under objective control.

If the government is involved in any way shape or form then Capitalism does NOT exist.

GP, why dont you elaborate on a system that is better than capitalism. Capitalism has lifted more out of poverty than all others combined. Tell us how that can be improved upon.
Do you believe capitalism should be held accountable for its failures as well as its successes?

Capitalism's periodic crisis always increase poverty, as 2008 has recently reproven. I'm glad you've achieved the success you claim; however, that doesn't change the malignant effect corporate capitalism has produced over the last 40 years.

Currently (May 2005) the richest three individuals on the planet have more assets than the combined GDPs of 47 countries.

Do you think that's Democratic or Capitalistic?

Forum List

Back