Capitalism exists to oppress the bottom and protect the top - change my mind

The same thing with me. I'm as blue collar as they get, but I have an IRA, I've spent a couple of years in the commodities market, and like you made real estate investments that are keeping me comfortable now that I'm no longer working.

I'm not rich, but while other people were buying the newest cars, getting the newest iPhones for themselves and their family, going out to dinner once a week and taking lavish vacations, I stayed home and worked on my rental properties. I never married nor had children, never used harsh narcotics or got into trouble with the law.

The complaint by Citygator is about people that didn't do what you and I did. They went to work every day, bitched that they didn't make enough money, and made no efforts to invest or enter a new field of work that paid them better money. His view is that their companies should have "shared the wealth" instead of them advancing themselves.
That is 100% inaccurate.

Over the course of time the rules have been bent against you and towards capital owners. You are fine with it because you are living for yourself - your choice, congrats. However for this country to endure we need people born into this country to have a fair shake at the middle class like they used to. No one is asking for a handout. We are talking about a fair system. I’m glad you carved out something for yourself.

Capitalism exists to oppress the bottom and protect the top - change my mind​

Absolutely ^ wrong. Ignorant, in fact.

But why bother trying to change the mind of a dolt who would ever say such crap as the OP’s thread headline? Obviously, such a dolt is impervious to logic, facts or reason.

That is 100% inaccurate.

Over the course of time the rules have been bent against you and towards capital owners. You are fine with it because you are living for yourself - your choice, congrats. However for this country to endure we need people born into this country to have a fair shake at the middle class like they used to. No one is asking for a handout. We are talking about a fair system. I’m glad you carved out something for yourself.

Wait a minute, how is anybody denied a fair shake at being middle-class? I'm middle-class, most of my family is middle-class, all of my friends are middle-class. Please explain how others are not through no fault of their own.

That is 100% inaccurate.

Everybody has equal opportunity. Just that, unlike you, some people aren’t lazy and put in an effort to get where they want to be. Rules aren’t bent against anybody willing to work. You’re just asking for stuff you haven’t earned and are too lazy to try for. Equal outcome is not guaranteed and should not be.

Everybody has equal opportunity. Just that, unlike you, some people aren’t lazy and put in an effort to get where they want to be. Rules aren’t bent against anybody willing to work. You’re just asking for stuff you haven’t earned and are too lazy to try for. Equal outcome is not guaranteed and should not be.
People, on both sides of the aisle, seem preoccupied on whether people with a lot of wealth and income "deserve" it. And that has nothing to do with my preference for free markets.

My primary argument for a free market is - freedom. But a free market is also the most fair and efficient way of catering to the varied interests of a diverse society. People should be free to direct their wealth and resources toward the things they value. The question isn't whether the person they give money to "deserves" it. The question is whether we should all have the freedom to spend our money (and our time, and our labor) as we see fit. Or whether the government should have the power to prohibit or overrule our economic decisions, interfering with the true will of the people and instead enforcing the will of the government - or, if we're positing a perfect democracy, the will of the majority.

Every single successful business started about 70 years ago on a poverty budget. The next generation made the business sustainable and profitable and the third generation just needs to not screw it up
This is a factual accounting of arriving at wealth which will interfere with the desired safe spacing for the “hate the well off” emotional dwarfs.

Didn’t say that. What’s your solution for the cracks in our system?
You have made up cracks. No one will ever be equal. Everyone is different. The users will always be poor and the rich get rich because the losers are too stupid to improve their lives. They would rather just bitch about the rich. I have been around for decades and I have personally seen thousands and thousands over the years that had the chance to make their lives better and they refused to do it. There's a price you have to pay for everything, including getting ahead. If you are unwilling to pay anything then you get nothing in return. Many people would just rather be poor than pay the price to get ahead. They just want things handed to them without giving anything in return.

You have made up cracks. No one will ever be equal. Everyone is different. The users will always be poor and the rich get rich because the losers are too stupid to improve their lives. They would rather just bitch about the rich. I have been around for decades and I have personally seen thousands and thousands over the years that had the chance to make their lives better and they refused to do it. There's a price you have to pay for everything, including getting ahead. If you are unwilling to pay anything then you get nothing in return. Many people would just rather be poor than pay the price to get ahead. They just want things handed to them without giving anything in return.

About six years ago I was renting to a young couple. Good kids, paid their rent late but I was never a stickler about that, I was saddened when they left. Both had minimum wage jobs. The guy worked at McDonald's and she worked at Pizza Hut. They never tried to do better financially because they were both hooked on pot, and neither stood any chance at a better job because they could never pass a drug screen which many better jobs require.

After that I ran into case after case of the same thing in either my line of work or the experiences of others. Yes, I liked my pot too when I was younger, but I'd never let it stand in the way between me and a much better paying job or even career. My only hope is those kids both got off the dope and started to make a path in life. You're not young forever. When you get in your 40's and all you have on your resume is restaurant work, you're not going to get very far in life.

About six years ago I was renting to a young couple. Good kids, paid their rent late but I was never a stickler about that, I was saddened when they left. Both had minimum wage jobs. The guy worked at McDonald's and she worked at Pizza Hut. They never tried to do better financially because they were both hooked on pot, and neither stood any chance at a better job because they could never pass a drug screen which many better jobs require.

After that I ran into case after case of the same thing in either my line of work or the experiences of others. Yes, I liked my pot too when I was younger, but I'd never let it stand in the way between me and a much better paying job or even career. My only hope is those kids both got off the dope and started to make a path in life. You're not young forever. When you get in your 40's and all you have on your resume is restaurant work, you're not going to get very far in life.
Man when I first hit the real world, it was expensive. You know, to end up well off enough to do what you want turned out to be not doing anything really special. Just applied and improved my condition from day one and forty years later it’s very surprising. Must avoid the terrible mistakes and a whole bunch of lesser ones. Maybe That’s what’s special

I’m using statistics not feelings. At what point is this no longer healthy?

F59BB08C-2098-45C4-9C61-DB74F0F95A9F.png

Ways to get ahead.
1). Live at home with your parents as you work and save.
2). Do not get married. Keep working keep saving.
3). If you do get married don't have kids.

If more and more young people take this advice they will get ahead. Less debt. The country advances.

If a corporation IS KIND ENOUGH to build a plant in the USA and hire Americans, those peons better be kissing the CEO's butt because there are 194 OTHER COUNTRIES THEY CAN MOVE TO and not have to put up with all of the bullshit such as racial lawsuits, vacations, family leave, unions, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,With Bidiot flooding the country with illegals, corporations will have no problem hiring cheap labor ( clue: they dont hire workers DIRECTLY as that is illegal, THEY HIRE ILLEGALS VIA TEMP AGENCIES so the company is not legally liable); I see this here in Detroit where most machine shops hire illegals as machine operators.

Without the profit motive, no rich person would bother to build a corporation and thus provide A LIVING for the workers. Capitalism makes the risk worth it, otherwise the rich would just jet set around the world.

***Mod Comment - Need to provide links to back up statements made as facts. That's in the forum rules.***

Uh... he paid no attention to this comment, and the thread is still open.

I've been a manager and a business owner most all of my life, for decades. Opportunities present themselves. People don't take them. Want more hours this week? No. Want more hours every week? No. Want to be a shift supervisor? No. You can transfer to another store across down and go into management. No. If you're willing to relocate to another city the company can offer you a promotion and earn 10K-20K more than you're making now. No. No. No. No. No. No.

I've been a manager and a business owner most all of my life, for decades. Opportunities present themselves. People don't take them. Want more hours this week? No. Want more hours every week? No. Want to be a shift supervisor? No. You can transfer to another store across down and go into management. No. If you're willing to relocate to another city the company can offer you a promotion and earn 10K-20K more than you're making now. No. No. No. No. No. No.

A much different mindset than years ago. Everybody wants a job paying 50K a year sitting on a bar stool inspecting parts or riding around on a floor sweeping machine 40 hours a week. I always accepted OT when asked. Before I became a landlord I many times had two jobs or more.

People may run into opportunity but for most, it won't come knocking at your front door or come from government. It's easy enough to find with a little bit of effort, the first being get off the dope. That's step one. As a local driver I often would go to 30 or 40 companies a week. Same story, people asking me if I knew any sober people looking for a job because their company can't find applicants that can pass a drug screen. Not bad paying jobs in most cases.

Your statement reminds me of the late Rush Limbaugh. He said as a child when he didn't finish his dinner, his mother always told him that there are children starving in China. After he heard his mother say that one too many times, and asked her "If I finish everything on my plate, how does that help one starving Chinese child?"

Making government richer to satisfy your hatred of the wealthy won't help one worker. They'd just take the money and waste it as we see this Congress doing now by trying to buy votes. The "tax" we laborers pay is not federal income tax. None of it goes to support the federal government. Your payroll taxes are savings accounts you get back later on in life, or they go for current services like city and state. Nearly half our population pays no actual income tax at all.
9h58694ghd591.png

half our population pays no income tax at all?
Everyone pays into social security.
everyone pays state income tax, if the state has it.
everyone pays state sales tax.
everyone pays into medicare.

We are in a current situation where the workers at the bottom cannot get a raise of share in the economy without those in power taking it back from them.
  • The rising wages at the bottom are seen as an evil trend destabilizing the economy
  • Company profit margins being higher than ever (basically rising wages at the top) is seen as economically healthy and good
  • Companies have raised prices to protect profit margins to historical highs during supply issues taking advantage of shortages in the marketplace is seen as good
  • The Uber wealthy continue to accumulate wealth in tough pandemic times and good times (pre and post pandemic) and no one cares
  • The answer from those in power will be to raise interest rates, slow the economy to create unemployment hurting the bottom, again
  • Tax rates on workers and capital continue to favor capital owners
  • Unrealized wealth is only accumulated by the top - hell wealth is only accumulated at the top where top 10% own 89% of the wealth
  • CEOs are making a historical multiplier over their workers salary, north of 270X’s
***Mod Comment - Need to provide links to back up statements made as facts. That's in the forum rules.***

I owe my livelihood to capitalism and make top 1% money but it is the systemic exploitation of the bottom through very powerful controls of capital at the top. There needs to be a more balanced playing field.

How can people who work with their way through life get the same breaks as those who own their way through life? No one wants to take shit away… they want a fair shake.

View attachment 656573
For any and all of the flaws of Capitalism- including its unintended consequences - at its core, Capitalism remains the best system. Why else do immigrants from oppressive states and failed middle classes come to America? There may exist a disparity of wages but there also exists the greatest economic opportunity. Change that fact.

Forum List

Back