Zone1 Can you be member of the "White Race" if you have literally a brown skin

You are turning in circles mate, as I had already stated:

Being of Roma ancestry - concludes that you are of Indian decent - intermixed with I wouldn't know what, other or how many other ethnicity - obviously you also don't know.
In Germany you wouldn't be considered to be a Central European - and therefore you would not be considered to be a White
In the USA you would be considered to be a member of the Caucasian group - since they obviously pack everyone who doesn't identify as an Asian, Black or native Red-Indian into Caucasian.

Skin pigmentation is not necessarily decisive onto a race or ethnic definition, there are also quite dark skinned people amongst e.g. Bavarian's - but there are also distinctive features that designate a Central European, features that you do not share with central Europeans.
And it goes also beyond ethnics - e.g. a German born in Bavaria is automatically registered as a Bavarian - the moment it becomes apparent that this person can't speak Bavarian and doesn't understand certain customs, he is referred to as a migrant Bavarian. and as such not recognized as an authentic Bavarian.

As such even if you are designated as a Caucasian in the USA - an American of Central European heritage will identify himself as a White, but he won't place you into the same group.

You kind of remind me off a Turkish Bavarian I met in the Air-force, born in Bavaria and who spoke fluent one of the Bavarian dialects and knew most of the customs. He is light skinned and he desperately tried to tell everyone - hey I am a Bavarian just like you, look I am eating pork sausage. Well sorry for him he simply isn't an authentic Bavarian. If he would just have carried on his own life - no one would have bothered about him - speaks Bavarian, eats pork sausage and is a decent and funny fellow, right lets go and have a beer.
Okay, I admit the name Mehmet Gökhan wasn't realty helpful in his quest either, nor his features. And if you mix up different dialect words in Bavarian you become "suspicious" in the eyes of an authentic Bavarian.

Yes we are turning into circles, i dont deny im of indian descent but you say im "indian intermixed with other ethnicities" i could say im european mixed with indian, that would be more correct, since both my haplogroups are european, and my genome is 80% european or around that percent but much more then half, and only 10-20% indian, i also have middle eastern DNA like turkish, iranian, levantine etc. But Im not simply a mix of indian and european or european and indian, that is too simplicistic to describe the roma, that could be a half pakistani half english person too but would be very different then a typical roma or me. I dont go around telling people Im just as Bavarian as you, though or just as White as you. I think Roma need to be more present and visible, I know even if the government decides to place the roma as white, or as asian or whatever they still would be seen as roma, or as different though. I know that, but I guess we need still a lable and a category for them. In the UK Roma are under the White category but as "roma" there are three roma ethnicites all under the white category, gypsy(romanichal), roma and irish traveller, those are 3 seperate ethnicites all under the white category. Then there is white britsh/irish and white other like german or polish. I also do not understand why you need to be central european or german or bavarian to be white what if you are swedish or northern european?

. I also do not understand why you need to be central european or german or bavarian to be white what if you are swedish or northern european?
There are three distinctive "original" ethnic groups in Europe
Germanic and Celtic people and others.
Germanic and Celtic people are referred to as White Europeans - the other's are not, actually very simple. Now guess to which group Scandinavians in general belong to.

But do you need to be fully European? Can you be 80% European, or 70% European? And white? Can you be 30% European and White? Roma do typically have European Ancestry the amount varies from Individual and Community to Individual and Community. But anywhere from typically 30% to 88% etc. That is typical. Would say someone with 88% European is not "white"?

My mother was 50% Black. She used to be called a mulatta when she was a kid. I am 25% Black but I have light skin and hazel green eyes.

I could say I'm Black but no one believes me so I just say I'm mixed race.

I wouldn't be so sure. Are you familiar with Bushman - San people in Southern Africa?
These people have more or less no similarity with the Bantu Blacks that populate Southern Africa. Even their skin is far brighter.

Due to Hitlers obsession with race - loads of 'scientific" studies were undertaken - and they usually all stumbled at the correlation between Europeans aka Whites and Asians.
Since they seem to be inherently mixed due to whatever reason. So the term Indo-Germanic came up.
As such an Indo-Germanic person would classify as being a White and an Asian.
In a second step - what if an Indo-Germanic person intermixes with Blacks aka Bantu? You might get a Bushman-san out of it.

or alternative Theory - humans actually looked like Bushman-san people and on their way to colonize the earth - they split into three distinctive groups, Whites, Asians and Africans - all three basically sharing the same original genes. :omg:

Have a look onto a classic Bushman-San - see photo:
I have a personal theory. This is my view. I believe in the Creation. We are all linked genetically. I personally believe through evolution, yes I said evolution, that genetic traits mutated as different groups of humans settled together and began procreating among themselves and so took on the different racial traits we have today.
I do have empirical proof that makes my belief valid. Every dog breed has a common ancestor,the wolf. Because of selective breeding we have roughly 340 breeds of dog. Like humans they all have basic characteristics in common, but have unique ones that make them seperate.

Again my belief.

An old definition of "gypsy" says they are "dark-skinned caucasian people" i guess caucasian as in white race. Do they have a "Europid appearance eventhough they have a darker skin and hair colour"?

What do Americans think?

My mum, me and my grandparents....

Here's what I think:

WHO CARES

My mother was 50% Black. She used to be called a mulatta when she was a kid. I am 25% Black but I have light skin and hazel green eyes.

I could say I'm Black but no one believes me so I just say I'm mixed race.

Yeah, genetics are funny. Hubby's grandmother is 100% Greek. Hubby is light-skinned with blue eyes and red hair, from his father's side. Meanwhile if you look at his cousins, you would think they are right off the set of My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Meanwhile, look at these beautiful girls from the UK, fraternal twins of their parents, one white, one Caribbean black.

150303090900-restricted-01-aylmer-twins.jpg

It's pretty obvious that people care.

I do not say this as a humblebrag. I can't make myself care about this at all. I don't say it like "oh hey I'm anti-racist", like I struggle and have overcome.

I do not care. I don't see what the big deal is. The entire thing is adaptation to climate. What's the big deal. But again, I think this is a shortcoming of mine, like lacking a gene I should have but don't.

Yeah, genetics are funny. Hubby's grandmother is 100% Greek. Hubby is light-skinned with blue eyes and red hair, from his father's side. Meanwhile if you look at his cousins, you would think they are right off the set of My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Meanwhile, look at these beautiful girls from the UK, fraternal twins of their parents, one white, one Caribbean black.

150303090900-restricted-01-aylmer-twins.jpg
That is not as uncommon as you might think.

I do not say this as a humblebrag. I can't make myself care about this at all. I don't say it like "oh hey I'm anti-racist", like I struggle and have overcome.

I do not care. I don't see what the big deal is. The entire thing is adaptation to climate. What's the big deal. But again, I think this is a shortcoming of mine, like lacking a gene I should have but don't.
Race is a societal invention used to marginalize large groups of people.

as long as the existence of race is believed nothing will change.

I have a personal theory. This is my view. I believe in the Creation. We are all linked genetically. I personally believe through evolution, yes I said evolution, that genetic traits mutated as different groups of humans settled together and began procreating among themselves and so took on the different racial traits we have today.
I do have empirical proof that makes my belief valid. Every dog breed has a common ancestor,the wolf. Because of selective breeding we have roughly 340 breeds of dog. Like humans they all have basic characteristics in common, but have unique ones that make them seperate.

Again my belief.

As I have said here before

That blonde hair and blue eyes the Aryans bragged about was developed because Northern Europeans got trapped on icebergs during the Ice Age. And this has become some kind of bragging point? "My ancestors are better than your ancestors cause they lived on icebergs instead of in the nice warm African plains. Winning!"

I don't get it. Really.

As I have said here before

That blonde hair and blue eyes the Aryans bragged about was developed because Northern Europeans got trapped on icebergs during the Ice Age. And this has become some kind of bragging point? "My ancestors are better than your ancestors cause they lived on icebergs instead of in the nice warm African plains. Winning!"

I don't get it. Really.
I don't play that game. Here is my stance . I believe we all are made in the image of God.Therefore I am not racist. What I do hate is the politics of race. No matter the race playing it.Period

I don't play that game. Here is my stance . I believe we all are made in the image of God.Therefore I am not racist. What I do hate is the politics of race. No matter the race playing it.Period

So what color skin does your god have?

I agree 100%.

Forum List

Back