Can we save television and the US? We could if we wanted to.

Ray9

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2016
I was born in 1947 and as it turns out that was an important year. My generation may be the last to remember life before television. We know that television, like a lot of modern technology, had great promise as a teaching tool and we know that it quickly descended into commercial mindlessness. Lately it has devolved into an authoritarian tool for government to control the people and that aspect is far more dangerous than vacant game shows, violent crime entertainment, and air-headed celebrity-worship distractions that keep the people from questioning their circumstances or drawing conclusions about leadership that may threaten the political status quo.

In 1961 Newton Minnow, Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, a democrat by the way, described television as a vast wasteland. Minnow’s critique was quickly dismissed by advertisers that were raking in huge profits and their lobbyists in Washington promptly blocked any legislation that would have regulated television in any meaningful way to help the people. We may never know how many cases of lung cancer were delivered to the citizens by clever television commercialization of poison from the 1950’s to the 1970’s. But we do know that Minnow’s Death Valley of television in 1961 has gone to a Chernobyl of the American mindset today.

In Minnow’s Day, there was no 24-hour news cycle with hundreds of channels broadcasting relentlessly like North Korean loudspeakers screeching into American households bending minds in the wrong direction. We know that publication of the Bell Curve in 1994 revealed that about 85 percent of the world’s population falls into a category of sheepish mediocrity and that may be good or bad depending on how you view it. What makes it dangerous is that the largest faction of most human groups is particularly susceptible to propaganda, something authoritarian governments figured out long ago.

Advancing technology like satellite communication is enhancing television in ways that go straight to the dark side. When you hear politicians on mainstream television saying “I am so-and-so and I approve this message” that is a clue that something is wrong. The message they are approving is an uninvited interruption into something else you were doing. Political advertising on mainstream television is an invasion of your personal space by coy Madison Avenue merchants on behalf of politicians that have no right to enter your home trying to convince you to vote for them. Our homes are the only places we can go to escape the noise and chaos of the world on the other side of the front door. Political campaigning on standard television is a genuine problem and we need to put a stop to it.

And what about prescription drug advertising on television? Unless US doctors became so stupid that they could not figure out what drugs to prescribe their patients, there was no logical reason other than greed to bypass physicians and go directly to consumers. But that is exactly what happened beginning as far back as the early 1980’s when the first attempts were launched. By the 2000’s direct-to-consumer prescription drug advertising was in full swing and today we have an opioid crisis that is destroying our population one addict at a time. There are generations of television viewers today that think prescription drug advertising is no different than industries that sell trucks or bread.

The problem was not the doctors; it was lawyers. Suddenly arguments that rich drug companies have First Amendment rights were front and center in a bizarre propaganda campaign like the one that says corporations are people. Patients today stampede doctors’ offices demanding chemicals they see in the same slick advertising format that sold cigarettes to Americans for decades. Billions in lobbying funds have been spent to circumvent the experience of America’s doctors and our society is sicker for it.

With the toothpaste out of the tube it appears there is nothing we can do; but there is, and technology can come to the rescue. All we need to do is sequester political and prescription drug advertising from mainstream television and confine it to specialized channels. We have cooking channels, golfing channels etc. If politicians want to campaign on television, they should be required to do so only on special political channels that the people can go to by choice, not invasive intrusion.

Do the people have the will to ask for legislation making it unlawful for politicians and drug companies to advertise on mainstream television? We should find out. It would not be easy considering the money involved but we should at least give it a try.

Ray

I was born in 1947 and as it turns out that was an important year. My generation may be the last to remember life before television. We know that television, like a lot of modern technology, had great promise as a teaching tool and we know that it quickly descended into commercial mindlessness. Lately it has devolved into an authoritarian tool for government to control the people and that aspect is far more dangerous than vacant game shows, violent crime entertainment, and air-headed celebrity-worship distractions that keep the people from questioning their circumstances or drawing conclusions about leadership that may threaten the political status quo.

In 1961 Newton Minnow, Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, a democrat by the way, described television as a vast wasteland. Minnow’s critique was quickly dismissed by advertisers that were raking in huge profits and their lobbyists in Washington promptly blocked any legislation that would have regulated television in any meaningful way to help the people. We may never know how many cases of lung cancer were delivered to the citizens by clever television commercialization of poison from the 1950’s to the 1970’s. But we do know that Minnow’s Death Valley of television in 1961 has gone to a Chernobyl of the American mindset today.

In Minnow’s Day, there was no 24-hour news cycle with hundreds of channels broadcasting relentlessly like North Korean loudspeakers screeching into American households bending minds in the wrong direction. We know that publication of the Bell Curve in 1994 revealed that about 85 percent of the world’s population falls into a category of sheepish mediocrity and that may be good or bad depending on how you view it. What makes it dangerous is that the largest faction of most human groups is particularly susceptible to propaganda, something authoritarian governments figured out long ago.

Advancing technology like satellite communication is enhancing television in ways that go straight to the dark side. When you hear politicians on mainstream television saying “I am so-and-so and I approve this message” that is a clue that something is wrong. The message they are approving is an uninvited interruption into something else you were doing. Political advertising on mainstream television is an invasion of your personal space by coy Madison Avenue merchants on behalf of politicians that have no right to enter your home trying to convince you to vote for them. Our homes are the only places we can go to escape the noise and chaos of the world on the other side of the front door. Political campaigning on standard television is a genuine problem and we need to put a stop to it.

And what about prescription drug advertising on television? Unless US doctors became so stupid that they could not figure out what drugs to prescribe their patients, there was no logical reason other than greed to bypass physicians and go directly to consumers. But that is exactly what happened beginning as far back as the early 1980’s when the first attempts were launched. By the 2000’s direct-to-consumer prescription drug advertising was in full swing and today we have an opioid crisis that is destroying our population one addict at a time. There are generations of television viewers today that think prescription drug advertising is no different than industries that sell trucks or bread.

The problem was not the doctors; it was lawyers. Suddenly arguments that rich drug companies have First Amendment rights were front and center in a bizarre propaganda campaign like the one that says corporations are people. Patients today stampede doctors’ offices demanding chemicals they see in the same slick advertising format that sold cigarettes to Americans for decades. Billions in lobbying funds have been spent to circumvent the experience of America’s doctors and our society is sicker for it.

With the toothpaste out of the tube it appears there is nothing we can do; but there is, and technology can come to the rescue. All we need to do is sequester political and prescription drug advertising from mainstream television and confine it to specialized channels. We have cooking channels, golfing channels etc. If politicians want to campaign on television, they should be required to do so only on special political channels that the people can go to by choice, not invasive intrusion.

Do the people have the will to ask for legislation making it unlawful for politicians and drug companies to advertise on mainstream television? We should find out. It would not be easy considering the money involved but we should at least give it a try.

Ray

I have a few shows set up to record in the DVR and I watch them when I watch them. TBH, I seldom even turn the TV on for even background noise anymore. When I do watch a show, I zip through the commercials so I never see them anyway really. I did watch Blue Bloods last night after the premiere, but usually I just binge watch what I record on rainy days. If it were just me, I would do away with pay tv service altogether and just watch online.

Like many things that aren't good with a society as a whole.........they society must be the ones to make the changes. The useless turds in political offices don't do anything for anyone, unless it means money in their pockets.

The original red dyes used in foods and cosmetics was found to be carcinogenic. Political officials ignored the commands of the people to ban this dye. It took a lot of petitions from parents, particularly women, to Washington DC to take notice of this and get the FDA to ban this dangerous food dye. (this is what I was told by one of my teachers in history class).

Americans against trash TV will have to stand up, group up, and petition the government itself, into an updated list of decency in this country.

But it will never happen. "The industry" has the money to pave the way over anything that gets in their way, and the politicians are happy to accept these "donation" from "The industry" and turn a blind eye. And.....people are just too fucking lazy to get off their fat asses and DO something noteworthy.

Sadly, I don't think so. People are so distracted with the chaos of their daily lives, they have little time or desire to spend their time trying to contact their legislators. I am retired and I have the time but what happens when you contact a governor or Senator's office is you either won't get a response at all, or some lackey will blow you off with some meaningless blurb. I really believe the country is screwed and I wonder how bad it will be when my sons reach middle age.

Ray

Ray, reading your posts, I suspect most of the mental health meds advertised on TV are probably geared towards you...

First the Supreme Court has ruled that money equals speech, so you aren't going to be able to take politicians off the air.

Maybe I should take some of those meds and land in the cuckoos nest. Then it would not matter that some people cannot comprehend what I write. If you try to warn people about a dystopian society that controls them you are wasting your time if you can't dumb it down enough for them to understand. Oh, is it time for the Masked Singer? Sorry I bothered you.

Maybe I should take some of those meds and land in the cuckoos nest. Then it would not matter that some people cannot comprehend what I write. If you try to warn people about a dystopian society that controls them you are wasting your time if you can't dumb it down enough for them to understand. Oh, is it time for the Masked Singer? Sorry I bothered you.

Well, first you need to actually learn how to write effectively...

The key to writing an argument is to write as though you are being paid by the point and penalized by the word.

Instead you meander from Television not being very good (Okay, most of any medium isn't very good, including books, music, poetry, movies, etc.) to big pharma brainwashing you to politicians spending too much time lying to us... it's kind of a lot of crazy talk.

Forum List

Back