Can science answer moral questions?

At this point, I'm seeing a lot of comments about how morality is entirely subjective, therefore there can be no universal thruths to say about what is right and what is wrong. Here is how Harris replies (emphasizes are mine):

And the necessity of grounding moral truth in things that people “actually value, or desire, or care about” also misses the point. People often act against their deeper preferences—or live in ignorance of what their preferences would be if they had more experience and information What if we could change Alice’s preference themselves? Should we? Obviously we can’t answer this question by relying on the very preferences we would change. Contrary to Blackford’s assertion, I’m not simply claiming that morality is “fully determined by an objective reality, independent of people’s actual values and desires.” I am claiming that people’s actual values and desires are fully determined by an objective reality, and that we can conceptually get behind all of this—indeed, we must—in order to talk about what is actually good. This becomes clear the moment we ask whether it would be good to alter people values and desires.
Consider how we would view a situation in which all of us miraculously began to behave so as to maximize our collective well-being. Imagine that on the basis of remarkable breakthroughs in technology, economics, and politic skill, we create a genuine utopia on earth. Needless to say, this wouldn’t be boring, because we will have wisely avoided all the boring utopias. Rather, we will have created a global civilization of astonishing creativity, security, and happiness.

However, some people were not ready for this earthly paradise once it arrived. Some were psychopaths who, despite enjoying the general change in quality of life, were nevertheless eager to break into their neighbors’ homes and torture them from time to time. A few had preferences that were incompatible with the flourishing of whole societies: Try as he might, Kim Jong Il just couldn’t shake the feeling that his cognac didn’t taste as sweet without millions of people starving beyond his palace gates. Given our advances in science, however, we were able to alter preferences of this kind. In fact, we painlessly delivered a firmware update to everyone. Now the entirety of the species is fit to live in a global civilization that is as safe, and as fun, and as interesting, and as filled with love as it can be.

It seems to me that this scenario cuts through the worry that the concept of well-being might leave out something that is worth caring about: for if you care about something that is not compatible with a peak of human flourishing—given the requisite changes in your brain, you would recognize that you were wrong to care about this thing in the first place. Wrong in what sense? Wrong in the sense that you didn’t know what you were missing. This is the core of my argument: I am claiming that there must be frontiers of human well-being that await our discovery—and certain interests and preferences surely blind us to them.

So, as far as I understand, Sam is saying here that well-being, a peak of human flourishing is an universal goal of morality. If you have moral standards which don't result to a peak of human flourishing, you are simply wrong. Wrong as your morals don't result to a peak of human flourishing therefore your morals are measurable inferior to morals which do.

So it is not all for grabs, Taliban are wrong - fundamentally measurably wrong as the human well being in their society is not good.

At this point most of you pop a question: how to measure well-being? (emphasizes are mine)

The Value Problem
My critics have been especially exercised over the subtitle of my book, “how science can determine human values.” The charge is that I haven’t actually used science to determine the foundational value (well-being) upon which my proffered science of morality would rest. Rather, I have just assumed that well-being is a value, and this move is both unscientific and question-begging. Here is Blackford:

If we presuppose the well-being of conscious creatures as a fundamental value, much else may fall into place, but that initial presupposition does not come from science. It is not an empirical finding… Harris is highly critical of the claim, associated with Hume, that we cannot derive an “ought” solely from an “is” - without starting with people’s actual values and desires. He is, however, no more successful in deriving “ought” from “is” than anyone else has ever been. The whole intellectual system of The Moral Landscape depends on an “ought” being built into its foundations.

Again, the same can be said about medicine, or science as a whole. As I point out in my book, science is based on values that must be presupposed—like the desire to understand the universe, a respect for evidence and logical coherence, etc. One who doesn’t share these values cannot do science. But nor can he attack the presuppositions of science in a way that anyone should find compelling. Scientists need not apologize for presupposing the value of evidence, nor does this presupposition render science unscientific. In my book, I argue that the value of well-being—specifically the value of avoiding the worst possible misery for everyone—is on the same footing. There is no problem in presupposing that the worst possible misery for everyone is bad and worth avoiding and that normative morality consists, at an absolute minimum, in acting so as to avoid it. To say that the worst possible misery for everyone is “bad” is, on my account, like saying that an argument that contradicts itself is “illogical.” Our spade is turned. Anyone who says it isn’t simply isn’t making sense. The fatal flaw that Blackford claims to have found in my view of morality could just as well be located in science as a whole—or reason generally. Our “oughts” are built right into the foundations. We need not apologize for pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps in this way. It is far better than pulling ourselves down by them.

Blackford raises another issue with regard to the concept of well-being:

[There could be situations where the question of which course of action might maximize well-being has no determinate answer, and not merely because well-being is difficult to measure in practice but because there is some room for rational disagreement about exactly what it is. If it’s shorthand for the summation of various even deeper values, there could be room for legitimate disagreement on exactly what these are, and certainly on how they are to be weighted. But if that is so, there could end up being legitimate disagreement on what is to be done, with no answer that is objectively binding on all the disagreeing parties.

Couldn’t the same be said about human health? What if there are trade-offs with respect to human performance that we just can’t get around—what if, for instance, an ability to jump high always comes at the cost of flexibility? Will there be disagreements between orthopedists who specialize in basketball and those who specialize in yoga? Sure. So what? We will still be talking about very small deviations from a common standard of “health”—one which does not include anencephaly or a raging case of smallpox.

[Harris] acknowledges the theoretical possibility that two courses of action, or, say, two different systems of customs and laws could be equal in the amount of well-being that they generate. In such cases, the objectively correct and determinate answer to the question of which is morally better would be: “They are equal.” However, he is not prepared to accept a situation where two people who have knowledge of all the facts could legitimately disagree on what ought to be done. The closest they could come to that would be agreement that two (or more) courses of action are equally preferable, so either could be pursued with the same moral legitimacy as the other.

This is not quite true. My model of the moral landscape does allow for multiple peaks—many different modes of flourishing, admitting of irreconcilable goals. Thus, if you want to move society toward peak 19746X, while I fancy 74397J, we may have disagreements that simply can’t be worked out. This is akin to trying to get me to follow you to the summit of Everest while I want to drag you up the slopes of K2. Such disagreements do not land us back in moral relativism, however: because there will be right and wrong ways to move toward one peak or the other; there will be many more low spots on the moral landscape than peaks (i.e. truly wrong answers to moral questions); and for all but the loftiest goals and the most disparate forms of conscious experience, moral disagreements will not be between sides of equal merit. Which is to say that for most moral controversies, we need not agree to disagree; rather, we should do our best to determine which side is actually right.

In any case, I suspect that radically disjoint peaks are unlikely to exist for human beings. We are far too similar to one another to be that different. If we each could sample all possible states of human experience, and were endowed with perfect memories so that we could sort our preferences, I think we would converge on similar judgments of what is good, what is better, and what is best. Differences of opinion might still be possible, and would themselves be explicable in terms of differences at the level of our brains. Consequently, even such disagreements would not be a problem for my account, because to talk about what is truly good, we must also include the possibility (in principle, if not in practice) of changing peoples desires, preferences, and intuitions as a means of moving across the moral landscape. I will discuss the implications of this below.

Generally speaking, I think that the problem of disagreement and indeterminacy that Blackford raises is a product of incomplete information (we will never be able to know all the consequences of an action, estimate all the relevant probabilities, or compare counterfactual states of the world) combined with the inevitable looseness with which certain terms must be defined. Once again, I do not see this as a problem for my view.

The whole "response to critics" can be found here.

Everyone ignores God to please themselves and their own ideas. That's why God is going to destroy everything.

His thesis is that well being of conscious creatures is one of the goals of increasing morality. That well being of conscious creatures is always right and suffering, pain, misery of conscious beings is always wrong. You made a claim that this isn't true, that sometimes "that which makes one miserable, unhealthy, and uncomfortable may be the absolute RIGHT thing." And I pointed out that it is the absolutely RIGHT thing only if it results to something more right in a larger context. That in itself, if you take the act of causing someone to be miserable, unhealthy, and uncomfortable - you put it in a "box" where it cannot affect anything else outside. It is NEVER a morally right thing to do. Can you contest this, can you make an argument that sometimes the well being is not a goal of increasing morality (morality = principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior), or are you willing to give this one to me?

I completely and totally disagree with his thesis. I believe that increasing the well being of Good People and decreasing the well being of Bad People is the main goal of morality.

As for the example you requested.....

A man breaks into my home and steals a VCR. I see him as he climbs back out the window with the VCR. I retrieve my firearm and, as he runs across my yard with my VCR in his hands, I shoot him twice in the back, killing him instantly. It was the proper MORAL thing to do (defending my home and property), yet it definitely did not increase his well being, and likely will not increase mine, as I likely face murder charges for my actions.

I completely and totally disagree with his thesis. I believe that increasing the well being of Good People and decreasing the well being of Bad People is the main goal of morality.

As for the example you requested.....

A man breaks into my home and steals a VCR. I see him as he climbs back out the window with the VCR. I retrieve my firearm and, as he runs across my yard with my VCR in his hands, I shoot him twice in the back, killing him instantly. It was the proper MORAL thing to do (defending my home and property), yet it definitely did not increase his well being, and likely will not increase mine, as I likely face murder charges for my actions.

You agnowledge that well being is a main goal of morality. Increasing the well being of good people while decreasing the well being of bad people is just a method of achieving this, a means to an end. You think it results to something more right (otherwise the action wouldn't be morally right - right?). I take you believe that the end result is a world with less bad people.

His thesis is that well being of conscious creatures is one of the goals of increasing morality.

Morality itself is a metaphysical consciousness with goals?
No, if I somehow implied that, it wasn't my intention. I blame my bad English.
That well being of conscious creatures is always right and suffering, pain, misery of conscious beings is always wrong

Can his science prove that or his that simply his moral belief?
It is a factual claim, can you prove him wrong? That is how science works.

He can't even prove an objective reality exists
No one can, does that make all philosophy pointless? If you are not allowed to make presuppositions when exploring philosophies, no philosophies can be created - or science.

Again you are careful not to make a sound argument why it isn't an issue, why science cannot answer these questions. Notice your pattern? Never make an argument that can be contested - that way you don't actually have to debate the issue.

I can tolerate different points of view, I don't expect people to agree with me. But I do expect people to debate, to have a talk about the subject of my thread - if they bother to make comments in my thread. I have a ton of more respect of Anachronism than you atm, he doesn't agree with me, but he is willing to talk about why he thinks science can't answer these questions.

:rolleyes:

Fine, I'll make it really simple for you. Science is about explaining the physical world. Morality is a philosophical construct and does not reside in the physical world, thereby making the question resoundingly retarded. Honestly, that should be obvious.

No, one's conduct is certainly part of the physical world. Behaviour is governed by an individual, societal or group code of morals. Behavior is not philosophical.

None of this attempted deflection changes the fact that morality is, and always will be, a philosophical construct born of a subjective determination of 'right' and 'wrong'. And again, that is completely outside the purview of science.

Better luck next time skippy. :thup:

trapped.png

:rolleyes:

Fine, I'll make it really simple for you. Science is about explaining the physical world. Morality is a philosophical construct and does not reside in the physical world, thereby making the question resoundingly retarded. Honestly, that should be obvious.

No, one's conduct is certainly part of the physical world. Behaviour is governed by an individual, societal or group code of morals. Behavior is not philosophical.

None of this attempted deflection changes the fact that morality is, and always will be, a philosophical construct born of a subjective determination of 'right' and 'wrong'. And again, that is completely outside the purview of science.

then whose purview is it?

if not science....
(and logic and reason)

then what should we use to determine morality?

certainly not primitive religious superstitions.....

One does not consciously determine one's own morality any more than one chooses any of one's other beliefs.

most of our moral beliefs are fed to us, when we are young, by our parents, teachers and religious leaders

the typical person who is strongly opposed to homosexuality most likely feels that way because of who raised him, taught him and who he/she associates with

@JBeukema

Alright, let's try it this way then. If you accept "well-being" as a main goal of morality (you may not, but just for argument's sake), then the statement that
"any action which increases human well being is always right - unless it results to something which reduces the well-being in a larger context" and "any action which decreases human well being is always wrong - unless it increases well-being in a larger context." becomes non problematic. If the net sums of all actions taken result to us being closer to the goal, they are morally right.

When you are judging which action to take you are weighting your options, comparing them to each other to find the morally right thing to do.

If I have to kill a baby to save two, it is morally right. If i can save all three babies with my actions, it is morally more right - assuming that babies contribute to the well being of man.

if not science....
(and logic and reason)

Morality is in the purview of philosophy.

Do you really want morality taught in science class? :eusa_eh:

That's no better than bible thumpers wanting ID taught along side evolution.

And I suggest you use your conscience to determine morality, just like everyone else. :thup:

Last edited:
Sure it can, in some cases and it often has, too.

Very few of us imagine that a mental illness is the result of demons.

We have science to thank for that.

When your appendix bursts, few of you are likely to appeal to a shamen to petition some spirit for relief.

You can thank science for that.

People do not often throw Virgins into volcanos to appease the volcano god.

You have science to thank for that change in morals, too.

Understanding the world (science of all kinds, including social sciences) helps mankind find new moral paths to creating better societies.

Science is never, however, going to replace humanism as the ultimate souce of morality.

All it can do is give us clues about how the world works, and we'll adjust out Moral POVs based on that.

Science and religion are not necessarily at odds with each other.

Some religious people might want to make the case that they are, but those people are mistaken.

None of those are moral questions.

Moral questions are, for example 'is it wrong to steal or kill?'

Those are just 2 of tens of thousands of "moral questions".
Morality is not the same for everyone. Just because most everyone believes those it doesn't make ALL morality questions universally accepted or believed.

No as morals are completely subjective and a matter of personal opinion/preference.

if not science....
(and logic and reason)

Morality is in the purview of philosophy.

Do you really want morality taught in science class? :eusa_eh:

That's no better than bible thumpers wanting ID taught along side evolution.

And I suggest you use your conscience to determine morality, just like everyone else. :thup:

"Do you really want morality taught in science class? "

of course not

but I also don't want religion to be the only source of morality

especially since I strongly disagree with so many religious morals and consider them to be...IMMORAL

"And I suggest you use your conscience to determine morality, just like everyone else."

I DO use my conscience

but I disagree t hat EVERYONE ELSE does.

far too many people merely quote some part of their religious texts and present it as "their morals"

that is HARDLY the same as using their conscience

Forum List

Back