Can anyone find my posts on fine tuning of planet earth?

hollie - from your link to Sciam:

"Because of the complexity of the Earth's magnetic field and the constant changes it is impossible to predict what the field will be like anytime in the distant future.....

Although magnetic reversals have occurred many times in the geologic past, itAs the molten iron spins around the solid, crystalized iron inside the inner core, it generates a relatively weak magnetic field. This magnetic field helps to protect the Earth from dangerous types of radiation, and it helps make life possible on the planet. is not yet possible to predict when the next reversal will occur. The most recent reversal was about 700,000 years ago. In the past 200 million years reversals have taken place every half million years or so, but with no discernible regularity or pattern."

I should add that it would be very hard to stop the motion of molten iron in earth's core. The article does not go into that. Earth's rotation is involved - that is also fine tuned. The sun and moon's gravity is also involved - our moon is another example of fine tuning. But until you respond on point 1, I will not go into the many other examples of fine tuning in depth on this thread.

I will post this link though:

"As the molten iron spins around the solid, crystalized iron inside the inner core, it generates a relatively weak magnetic field. This magnetic field helps to protect the Earth from dangerous types of radiation, and it helps make life possible on the planet."

Theories involving weakening and reversals fail to address this cause, which involves both the rotational spin of the earth and the convection currents from the inner heat. Neither will change anytime soon!

Still waiting for you to address point #1.

I have to agree that there’s nothing to indicate any fine tuning regarding the variations and reversals of the planet’s magnetic field. There’s even less to indicate supernatural agents were involved in any fine tuning.

Already addressed point 1.

What evidence can you offer to support the notion of one or more creator / designer gods who you claim fine tuned the planet? A fine tuned planet created by creator / designer gods suggests you would first support the existence of those creator / designer gods prior to claiming they fine tuned anything.

I would imagine it was sucked into a black hole.

But I can surmise why the earth hasn't ended up like Venus: The planet's orbitations are slowly being drawn closer to the sun, because of the sun's gravitational pull. At some point eons ago, Venus would have been in the same proximity to the sun as the Earth is now, and Earth would have been located where Mars is.

Which brings up another question: If Venus was is the "perfect" position in relation to the sun as we are here, would there have been life? And will there be life on Mars at some point eons from now, when the Earth's orbit has been pulled closer to the sun, and Mars has moved to our proximity to the sun?

Another thing to think about: When we sent the Mars Rover to the planet, did some single-cell forms of life manage to hitchhike a ride from here to Mars, embedded in some tiny crack in the Mars Rover? And if so, have those life forms thrived?

And if one believes in Darwinism and if it did thrive, will it evolve to become sentinent beings by the time the Earth is pulled closer to the sun, and Mars is where our orbit is?

Which brings another question: If there was the possibility of life on Venus at one time, did they accidentally transfer one-celled life forms to Earth with their space probes, as we could have done to Mars?

Of course being more of believer in creationism, I believe that God created the universe. But it's something to think about.

While earth's distance from the sun is another point (not actually fine tuned since we could have been thousands of miles closer or further and be in the 'habitable zone)- this is hot the crucial reason
why earth's primordial CO2 atmosphere ended up in earth's crust in contrast to what happened on Venus.

But good points to think about - thank you for your input.
The planets distance from the sun (within a habitable zone) is an example of the really silly fudge factors used by creationists in an attempt to support the falsely labeled “fine tuning” slogan.

Without exception, fine tuning means “kinda’, sorta’, pretty close but could be bigger, smaller, left or right from where it is.”

Point #1 is not earth's distance from the sun. Try again.
OK.

There is a large habitable zone wherein the earth could support life? Why did the gods allow for such a fudge factor?

Again, that is NOT point #1. Earth's orbital position could change and still be in the habitable zone - I think the reason is that earth's orbital position may change.

But actually I don't mind your fudge tangent - I love chocolate!
So, yes. With a lot of room for the planet being either closer or farther from the sun within a habitable zone, the planet is “fine tuned” as long as you are willing to include huge fudge factors in your definitions.

Which is one reason that is not point #1. Still waiting for you to address point #1.

[Note: many other factors are precisely fine tuned.]

But you are getting me hungry with all your references to fudge!
What other factors are “precisely fine tuned”? We have gone from so-called fine tuning of the earths position relative to its distance from the sun (not fine tuned at all), to fine tuning of the earths magnetic field, also not fined tuned.

Let’s thank the gods for that fine tuning of the cancer cell.

W
Actually, some scientists believe earth will recede from the sun as the sun loses mass and its gravity becomes weaker
Actually, this is a well known fact, and the rate is about 1.6 cm per year.

Which is how far in 5 billion years when our sun is predicted to go to red giant phase? Note that this estimated is based on the theory that our sun's core does not mix with its surface. However, the actual evidence of the sun's corona indicates magnetic dynamoes from deep within the sun migrate towards its surface - that, of course, requires mixing since the magnetism is caused by motion.

7 or 8 billion cm is how far?

Hollie - you have still not addressed point 1 concerning earth's crustal carbonates deposited by the geologic carbon cycle. See the point in previous posts in detail, including Britannica's chart of carbon content of carbonates in earth's crust being over 64 million petagrams - roughly the same carbon context in the atmosphere of Venus (Carbonate suffix: CO4; Venus' atmopheric CO2).

Hollie - you have still not addressed point 1 concerning earth's crustal carbonates deposited by the geologic carbon cycle. See the point in previous posts in detail, including Britannica's chart of carbon content of carbonates in earth's crust being over 64 million petagrams - roughly the same carbon context in the atmosphere of Venus (Carbonate suffix: CO4; Venus' atmopheric CO2).
What is it that you need addressed? You’re hoping the encyclopedia supports some point you wish to make. What point is that?

Point 1 Hollie - did you have trouble reading point 1?

Hint: the carbonate in earth's crust and the geologic carbon cycle.

Did you read the Britannica article I posted a link to concerning the evolution of earth's atmosphere?

Did you read the Britannica article I posted a link to concerning the evolution of earth's atmosphere?
I addressed your point 1. in post 12.

You failed to address my point below.

Yes. You cut and pasted an article from an encyclopedia. What is the intended purpose of the article?

Last edited:

Yes. You cut and pasted an article from an encyclopedia. What is the intended purpose of the article?

I posted only excerpts - read the article and see.

The excerpts were concerning the geologic carbon cycle and earth's over 64 million petagrams of carbon in its crustal carbonates.

I posted only excerpts - read the article and see.

The excerpts were concerning the geologic carbon cycle and earth's over 64 million petagrams of carbon in its crustal carbonates.
Do you need me to read the encyclopedia article and explain its meaning to you?

Note that this estimated is based on the theory that our sun's core does not mix with its surface
And what, on your estimation, would cause the heavier elements at the sun's core to defy crushing forces of gravity and migrate toward the surface instead of the center? What is this nonsense??

However, the actual evidence of the sun's corona indicates magnetic dynamoes from deep within the sun migrate towards its surface - that, of course, requires mixing since the magnetism is caused by motion.
That does not indicate mixing of the heavier elements at the core. And studies of smaller stars with similar phenomena indicate that the convection zone alone can generate those.

What you are doing here is an older than dirt charlatans tactic. You are trying to beguile people with flowery language, while managing to say literally nothing relevant whatsoever.

Forum List

Back