Cam Newton: 'I'm an African-American QB that scares people'

Kat

Retired Mod
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2008
Panthers quarterback Cam Newton suggested for the first time Wednesday that race may play a factor in why he's become a lightning rod for public criticism.
''I'm an African-American quarterback that scares people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to,'' said the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Newton.
The No. 1 pick in the 2011 NFL draft out of Auburn, Newton has his share of detractors who either don't like how he plays, his celebrations or his abundance of self-confidence.\
Newton, a leading league MVP candidate putting up record-breaking numbers, said he learned a long time ago that he can't please everyone.
''People are going to judge, and have opinions on things I don't have control over,'' Newton said.
The stout and speedy Newton is beating teams with his arm and his legs, throwing for 35 touchdowns and running for 10 this season. He has helped lead the Panthers (17-1) to their first Super Bowl since 2003. Carolina plays the AFC champion Denver Broncos on Feb. 7 in Santa Clara, California.

Newton: I'm black QB that scares people

Huh?? That doesn't even make sense.

He is as good looking as he can be, and he is a very good q/b, but I never once thought of his color. I don't get why that has to be brought into everything now days.

I know plenty about him, and none of it has anything to do with color.
When he was at Florida, he was caught climbing out of a window with a laptop he had stolen.
Also when at Florida he took $180,000 from boosters....and trafficked it through his dad's church.
Not sure how they paid off the NCAA while he was being investigated. (if they did..but it all of a sudden disappeared)
I can't recall what else, but remember that much. Then he transferred to Auburn....and the rest is history.

What does ANY of this have to do with his color?

When he was at Florida, he was caught climbing out of a window with a laptop he had stolen.
Also when at Florida he took $180,000 from boosters....and trafficked it through his dad's church.
Not sure how they paid off the NCAA while he was being investigated. (if they did..but it all of a sudden disappeared)
I can't recall what else, but remember that much. Then he transferred to Auburn....and the rest is history.

And now he's an MVP quarterback preparing for the 50th Superbowl :dunno:

Yep. I don't know or understand where all the other came from.

Predictably, the media is turning this into "race." Yes, of course they are.

What I cannot tell is this. Is Cam Newton saying that the reason why he needs to dance and draw attention to himself and not treat others he competes against with respect is "black culture?"

He draws similar criticism of Johnny Manziel in the way Johnny Football would make the money raining gesture after success.

Of course Manziel is a white as marshmellow fluff.

Ahhhhh, the race narrative though. As pushed by the main stream media. I could be wrong here, but is that what Cam Newton and now Charles Barkley are claiming? That the reason he needs to dance and draw attention to himself is because that is black culture?

If Barkley is claiming that, then that would explain a lot. Never knew that was in their nature and just simply their culture.

Remember the fab 5? Chris Webber and jalen rose and jawan Howard all got paid. No one cares. These schools make a lot of money. Want me to stay one more year? Pay me. Schools renig on scholarships when student athletes don't work out. At least the good ones do. They all cheat.

Anyways, now cams a pro and he's amazing. I love the personality. Reminds me of Mohammad Ali.

Half me wants Manning to win one more and half me wants to see a new star on the block. Brass. Vocal. Flamboyant. Arrogant cocky confident himself enthusiastic proud confident talented leader I Love this guy.

And I'm not a hater.

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton suggested for the first time Wednesday that race may play a factor in why he's become a lightning rod for public criticism.
''I'm an African-American quarterback that scares people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to,'' said the 6-foot-5, 245-pound Newton.
The No. 1 pick in the 2011 NFL draft out of Auburn, Newton has his share of detractors who either don't like how he plays, his celebrations or his abundance of self-confidence.\
Newton, a leading league MVP candidate putting up record-breaking numbers, said he learned a long time ago that he can't please everyone.
''People are going to judge, and have opinions on things I don't have control over,'' Newton said.
The stout and speedy Newton is beating teams with his arm and his legs, throwing for 35 touchdowns and running for 10 this season. He has helped lead the Panthers (17-1) to their first Super Bowl since 2003. Carolina plays the AFC champion Denver Broncos on Feb. 7 in Santa Clara, California.

Newton: I'm black QB that scares people

Huh?? That doesn't even make sense.

He is as good looking as he can be, and he is a very good q/b, but I never once thought of his color. I don't get why that has to be brought into everything now days.
Well, he is quite full of himself...

How many people get offended when JJ Watt celebrates a sack or a fumble? Hell, he doesn't even score and goes nuts.

Is this because of his white culture?

Personally, I don't care either way, I do like the idea that Newton gives the ball to a kid after a TD.

exactly. so i'm not sure what the point is....

Who has been criticizing him? All I've heard is people praising him.

Because of where we sat, we had a close up view of your conduct in the fourth quarter. The chest puffs. The pelvic thrusts. The arrogant struts and the ‘in your face’ taunting of both the Titans’ players and fans. We saw it all.

I refuse to believe you don’t realize you are a role model. You are paid millions of dollars every week to play hard and be a leader. In the off season you’re expected to make appearances, support charities, and inspire young kids to pursue your sport and all sports. With everything the NFL has gone through in recent years, I’m confident they have advised that you are, by virtue of your position and career choice, a role model.

And because you are a role model, your behavior brought out like behavior in the stands. Some of the Panthers fans in our section began taunting the hometown fans.

Read more here: A Tennessee mom to Cam Newton: Here’s what my 9-year-old saw

I could tell she was still thinking about it as we boarded a shuttle back to our car. “I guess he doesn’t have kids or a Mom at home watching the game,” she added.

I don’t know about your family life Mr. Newton, but I think I’m safe in saying thousands of kids watch you every week. You have amazing talent and an incredible platform to be a role model for them. Unfortunately, what you modeled for them today was egotism, arrogance and poor sportsmanship.

Is that what your coaches and mentors modeled for you, Mr. Newton?

tAVoGP3.jpg

I could tell she was still thinking about it as we boarded a shuttle back to our car. “I guess he doesn’t have kids or a Mom at home watching the game,” she added.

I don’t know about your family life Mr. Newton, but I think I’m safe in saying thousands of kids watch you every week. You have amazing talent and an incredible platform to be a role model for them. Unfortunately, what you modeled for them today was egotism, arrogance and poor sportsmanship.

Is that what your coaches and mentors modeled for you, Mr. Newton?

tAVoGP3.jpg
Sounds like a cunty, prude of a woman

He smiles, dances and gives balls to kids. So why all the hate for Cam Newton?

He smiles, dances and gives balls to kids. So why all the hate for Cam Newton?

This season, Cam Newton’s level of play, and the according level of notoriety, has risen sharply. But along with the acclaim for a star quarterback playing at an elite level, so, too, rose a furor from those who see the face of the Carolina Panthers as more villain than hero.

He dances, he smiles, he hands footballs to young fans — each action rustling up irate radio callers or a flurry of letters to the editor. For his part, Newton maintains he doesn’t care but with his Panthers playing in Super Bowl 50 on Feb. 7, the conversation around the perception of perhaps the NFL’s best player will only intensify over the next week.

snip

Race, as he pointed out, almost certainly has something to do with it. Fox Sports’ Jason Whitlock may envision Newton as the new Magic Johnson, with a dazzling smile and a game to match, but Ryan Clark, a former NFL player turned ESPN commentator, recalled the wife of one player telling him that Newton “rubs her the wrong way and I don’t know why.”

” ‘Here’s why he rubs you the wrong way, because you don’t understand it,’ ” Clark said he told her, as retold on the “Mike and Mike” show. “Because for so many years black quarterbacks didn’t have to conform to a way of playing quarterback, they had to conform to a way of behavior. [Seattle Seahawks quarterback] Russell Wilson is easier to take because every time he gets on the mic, he speaks about God ’cause I’ve been around Russell Wilson in a setting where you’re supposed to dance and he has no rhythm.”

I don't hate Cam Newton. I don't have anything for him either.

He is good looking if that counts.. lol

Maybe he is just excited b/c he's a new daddy.

Yep. I don't know or understand where all the other came from.
Probably experience with white people.

Forum List

Back