California’s AB-5 destroyed many freelance jobs. Now Democrats want to expand the policy to the entire country.

I worked as a contractor in the fiber optic/cable industry for years. I made more than the in-house employees and had more work. It involved a lot of travel, but that was fine with me.

Later, as an in-house safety director, I had to tread carefully when working with contractors. I could not order their employees to comply with standard safety regulations. I could stop the work if there was a serious safety violation. But I could only reprimand the foreman or owner for any other safety violation.

The company I worked for loved using contractors. We were the Prime Contractor, and hired subcontractors to do most of the work. We didn't have to pay SS, Workers Comp, Health insurance ect. Plus we did not have to maintain vehicles and equipment. The subcontractors did not have to carry the huge liability insurance and could work on large projects which they could not handle on their own. The subcontractors could also leave any time there was better work elsewhere.

The Democrats know this law hurts people, that's why they want it. They believe that the more miserable people are, the more they will vote for Democrats and their social programs. The end goal is a nation where a small minority work and pay extremely high taxes, while the vast majority are idle and collect welfare. This vision is unsustainable, but the Democrats think they can pull it off.
It worked so well in Venezuela.

Oh, wait...
Seems like blue states have better outcomes for their people than red states. One link below.
Oh, that must be why people are moving into Democrat-run cities.

Oh, wait...

A proposed new federal law is modeled after California’s AB-5. You can read about it here:

Awesome. It's about time they got companies like Thumbtack, GrubHub and Uber under control.
View attachment 460119

Wow, you do get that Uber and their ilk are the ones exploiting the working class, right? Having them work with no benefits and no insurance by calling them "contractors"?
Yes, those people are obviously much better off being unemployed.

It worked so well in Venezuela.

Oh, wait...

Uh, guy, Two weeks into TRUMP PLAGUE, and most of the grocery stores were looking like Venezuela.

Now imagine what they'd look like if the US had been subjected to a decade of economic sanctions.
And just like clockwork, the AMERICA SUCKS brigade chimes in with their standard worthless squawk.

Yes, those people are obviously much better off being unemployed.

By that logic, maybe we should just sell them into slavery... Naw, why should workers have dignity.

And just like clockwork, the AMERICA SUCKS brigade chimes in with their standard worthless squawk.

I don't mistake the interests of Rich People for the people of my country, buddy.

Venezuela didn't do anything to me, but the rich insisted that we punish them for picking a form of government we didn't like.

That's kind of fucked up.

Forum List

Back