Uber CEO says the service might shut down in California if it has to reclassify workers

This is how "Progressives" destroy everything they touch. They pass a law in California forcing the gig economy to classify it's drivers and delivery people as employees. The legislation went even further to include freelance photographers and journalists. The result was a loss of jobs right off the bat. The very left wing Vox, for example, who championed the legislation, had to cut ties to contributing authors because of the new rules. Now more than 100,000 rideshare drivers who rely on the service for a living or for supplemental income are on the brink of losing their jobs because leftists in California decided they had to "help" them.

Plenty of out of work taxi drivers ready to jump in and help.

The taxi concerns don't have nearly enough cars to transport all those Uber patrons. Further, taxis charge a lot more.
A. They did fine before Uber.

B. The taxi companies treat the employees like employees, not slaves.

LOL, I guess you never saw the inner workings of a medallion carrying Taxi owning company?

The thing with Uber was they had standards. The cars were clean and new, the drivers were rated and vetted. Now you will go back to old taxi companies with unknown drivers, shitty old cars, and terrible customer service.

Uber didn't have to do anything to take over from the medallions and black cars in NYC except not be horrible.

I've actually had to call in on a NYC yellow cab that refused to take me to Queens at 2 AM, and not Nassau border queens, central right off the LIE queens.

With Uber you get service without the bullshit.

This is how "Progressives" destroy everything they touch. They pass a law in California forcing the gig economy to classify it's drivers and delivery people as employees. The legislation went even further to include freelance photographers and journalists. The result was a loss of jobs right off the bat. The very left wing Vox, for example, who championed the legislation, had to cut ties to contributing authors because of the new rules. Now more than 100,000 rideshare drivers who rely on the service for a living or for supplemental income are on the brink of losing their jobs because leftists in California decided they had to "help" them.

The taxi concerns don't have nearly enough cars to transport all those Uber patrons. Further, taxis charge a lot more.

LOL, I guess you never saw the inner workings of a medallion carrying Taxi owning company?

The thing with Uber was they had standards. The cars were clean and new, the drivers were rated and vetted. Now you will go back to old taxi companies with unknown drivers, shitty old cars, and terrible customer service.

Uber didn't have to do anything to take over from the medallions and black cars in NYC except not be horrible.

I've actually had to call in on a NYC yellow cab that refused to take me to Queens at 2 AM, and not Nassau border queens, central right off the LIE queens.

Uber actually offers realistic prices in comparison with taxis as well. I took a Uber from Youngstown to Pittsburgh Airport a few years ago and it cost less than $60. It would have been at least twice that in a taxi and a taxi driver would have had to have been tipped as well. That's the real power of Uber, quality transportation at a REASONABLE price

which drivers?

the ones doing sexual assaults at the rate of 8 per a day in 2018? their commitment to "reduce" not "stop" not numbers?

but how serious can they be when they stop their own investigators?

or here where the assault section is fun.

now you can go on wanting to use uber and love it. not my point here. but to say they are vetted and a lot safer? can you please describe this vetting process?

uber found a way around all the laws and requirements cab companies must follow. i figured sooner or later it would come back to them and sounds like we're getting there.

which drivers?

the ones doing sexual assaults at the rate of 8 per a day in 2018? their commitment to "reduce" not "stop" not numbers?

now you can go on wanting to use uber and love it. not my point here. but to say they are vetted and a lot safer? can you please describe this vetting process?

uber found a way around all the laws and requirements cab companies must follow. i figured sooner or later it would come back to them and sounds like we're getting there.

In my experience the drivers are far more knowledgeable, the cabs are cleaner, and the ride is hassle free. I've had 2 drivers out of hundreds of Uber trips that I had to report, one for safety, and one because he clearly wasn't the driver on the license.

Two.

Meanwhile my "me no go to queens" rate back in the day was one in three.

which drivers?

In my experience the drivers are far more knowledgeable, the cabs are cleaner, and the ride is hassle free. I've had 2 drivers out of hundreds of Uber trips that I had to report, one for safety, and one because he clearly wasn't the driver on the license.

Two.

well that i can't really deny. my cab experiences are usually drive fast, hold on for dear life, and prepare for some shifty moves along the way to save a few minutes.

i will fully admit i use uber over cabs these days, i just seldom do ride sharing at all but like the option. i also feel if a company wants to hire out contract labor like this, they should. i don't have to use it if i don't like it. my opinion is pointless here. their business, let it go. but some people get a craw up their ass about contract labor and seem to want to kill it. when i worked at microsoft back in the 90s, we were told you get 6 months contract labor and you must hire them. so we ended a lot of contracts and started new ones with new people every 6 months.

those under the contracts were pretty happy they had a job at microsoft and could "audition" for full time employment in real time. many were hired from those ranks. many were found "wanting" and simply not hired and let go. very few of the people who liked working at MS were happy about the rules MS was forced to use.

by and large i think uber is fine as a company. i really only use uber eats anymore cause i'm a lazy shit at times.

in the end, i think california is full of shit about this regardless of ubers safety record. pointing out a few articles was simply not sure how vetted they are, not that this isn't a problem they can't work on.

which drivers?

Two.

well that i can't really deny. my cab experiences are usually drive fast, hold on for dear life, and prepare for some shifty moves along the way to save a few minutes.

i will fully admit i use uber over cabs these days, i just seldom do ride sharing at all but like the option. i also feel if a company wants to hire out contract labor like this, they should. i don't have to use it if i don't like it. my opinion is pointless here. their business, let it go. but some people get a craw up their ass about contract labor and seem to want to kill it. when i worked at microsoft back in the 90s, we were told you get 6 months contract labor and you must hire them. so we ended a lot of contracts and started new ones with new people every 6 months.

those under the contracts were pretty happy they had a job at microsoft and could "audition" for full time employment in real time. many were hired from those ranks. many were found "wanting" and simply not hired and let go. very few of the people who liked working at MS were happy about the rules MS was forced to use.

by and large i think uber is fine as a company. i really only use uber eats anymore cause i'm a lazy shit at times.

in the end, i think california is full of shit about this regardless of ubers safety record. pointing out a few articles was simply not sure how vetted they are, not that this isn't a problem they can't work on.

Uber's benefits are as follows

1. Set price, on your phone, for the destination.
2. Drivers who are required to know how to use a smartphone based mapping system (because they need to know how to use the app to functon)
3. New cars. Because Uber doesn't own the cars they don't feel the need to drive them into the ground
4. 100% availability, all the time.

One of the un-enumerated rights alluded to in the Ninth Amendment, and one of the primary freedoms that Americans enjoy is the "right of contract."

The Right of Contract postulates that any two (or more) parties can contract to do anything they like, as long as the activity is legal. I can contract to sell goods or services, to sell or buy rights, even to refrain from doing something (e.g., a non-disclosure agreement), and the Government may not interfere, even if some official thinks that the contract is unfair or unreasonable. (Discussion of "unconscionable" provisions excluded).

Americans have allowed this Freedom to erode in recent years, largely because people don't think of it as a separate, discrete right. The minimum wage laws are a gross imposition on this right that we tolerate without complaint.

In the case of Uber and Lyft, the people who sign up for those gigs are FULLY AWARE that they are entering into an "Independent Contractor" relationship. It is not only commonly known and understood, but it is repeated many times in all of the papers that are read, acknowledged, and signed in the process of entering into that arrangement. You are not going to work as a "Cab Driver," where the employer owns, maintains, fuels, repairs, insures, and owns the vehicles. That is a whole different thing, and the Lyft/Uber drivers are fully cognizant of the difference when they sign up.

For the state of California to superimpose its judgment on these relationships is not only unfair to the Parties who have entered into a well-defined business relationship, but also to others not obviously affected - passengers, for example, who will have to pay higher fares. In fact, these new onerous obligations on Uber will undoubtedly price many of its drivers out of the market, rendering them as un-or-marginally employed as they were when they signed up.

While California is a wonderful place, its wonderfulness has been bestowed by God. The people who run the place are fucked up.

It's a done deal. Uber is pulling out of California. Thousands of drivers thrown out of work. Lyft sure to follow. Nice job.

Two words tell you all you need to know: "...SanFrancisco judge..."

Both Uber and Lyft.

These fucking Progs are so stupid they are dangerous. They have thrown thousands of people out of work because they wanted to HELP them.

Remember this as you listen to the National Progs tell you how they have a "plan" to recover the economy. They haven't a fucking clue, because so few Progs have ever had a real job.

Imho, Uber is the latest Wall Street scam, designed to fatten speculators by exploiting drivers.

What you are failing to consider is that the Drivers weren't even working in the transportation business before Ride Sharing was invented in about 2012. No one is exploiting anyone. Uber OFFERED an opportunity and they accepted. No one was bound to take it, and if they didn't care for it, they could stop at any time.

Were any of these drivers clamoring to become employees or have the leftists "help" them?

Imho, Uber is the latest Wall Street scam, designed to fatten speculators by exploiting drivers.

What you are failing to consider is that the Drivers weren't even working in the transportation business before Ride Sharing was invented in about 2012. No one is exploiting anyone. Uber OFFERED an opportunity and they accepted. No one was bound to take it, and if they didn't care for it, they could stop at any time.

Were any of these drivers clamoring to become employees or have the leftists "help" them?

I don't think so. A lot of people who drive for Uber do it as a sideline racket, often intermittently. They signed up because they didn't want to commit to a job schedule, etc., they just wanted something they could do in their own car on a schedule they wanted. I don't think that Uber was ever that anxious to force people and write them up for attendance, and all of that either.

California is doing more a favor for itself, as they can force the Uber people into unions.

I don't think so. A lot of people who drive for Uber do it as a sideline racket, often intermittently. They signed up because they didn't want to commit to a job schedule, etc., they just wanted something they could do in their own car on a schedule they wanted. I don't think that Uber was ever that anxious to force people and write them up for attendance, and all of that either.

California is doing more a favor for itself, as they can force the Uber people into unions.

Exactly my point. I get so unutterably tired of leftists self-importantly "helping" people with things we never wanted, and then lecturing us on how we really DO want it, and we're just too stupid to know it.

Forum List

Back