Buying Votes Protected Free Speech?

IMO, the Citizens United ruling by SCOTUS was/is the most damaging blow to democracy in my lifetime - so far that I can think of.

In other words, it's an obstacle to unlimited looting.

That's exactly why I support it.

Huh?

How is the Citizens United ruling an "obstacle to unlimited looting"?

It allows corporations to spend money trying to convince the voters not to loot them. That's why turds like you hate it.

Huh?

How is the Citizens United ruling an "obstacle to unlimited looting"?

It allows corporations to spend money trying to convince the voters not to loot them.
That doesn't even begin to make sense.
That's why turds like you hate it.

As much as I personally disagree with the Citizen's United decision, I don't "hate" it.

In fact, I've made quite a bit of money because of it.

Just remember - Citizen's United applies to unions and left-wing special interests too.

Since SCOTUS says that money is free speech, then Buying Votes is Protected Free Speech?

If money is free speech, then I should be able to allow the candidate handing me the largest pile of free speech to get my vote or pay me not to vote for someone else.

It should be legal for a candidate to buy votes or pay people not to vote.

Republicans spent over $200 per voter in the Iowa caucus on negative adds. They should have just gave me $200 to not vote for their opponent.

Speech is not "buying votes".

Since SCOTUS says that money is free speech, then Buying Votes is Protected Free Speech?

If money is free speech, then I should be able to allow the candidate handing me the largest pile of free speech to get my vote or pay me not to vote for someone else.

Republicans spent over $200 per voter in the Iowa caucus on negative adds. They should have just gave me $200 to not vote for their opponent.

Money is not speech, but money is necessary to make speech heard today. It cost money to get your commercial on TV, your ad into a paper or onto the radio.

Buying votes, or suppressing them, is illegal because that is not speech.

IMO, the Citizens United ruling by SCOTUS was/is the most damaging blow to democracy in my lifetime - so far that I can think of.

You support it because it favors republicans and no other reason.

Funny how people keep saying that, yet Democrats and their PACS outspent Republicans and their PACs in 2010

Democrats getting outspent? Not so fast - Jeanne Cummings - POLITICO.com

I guess the only reason you oppose it is because you believe lies.

Because people are ignorant of what the Citizens United decision was, and the full extent of their knowledge is the "corporations are people" meme they have heard, we get topics like this one based on a false premise, which of course leads to ridiculous conclusions.

It's nothing more than legalized bribery.

How is a TV ad bribery?

The media frames the news in favor of the corporation & party that spends the most with their organization.

The elected party are beholden to the corporations who paid for their news coverage & ad time. If they do not do as told while in office the media is paid to & will turn on them.

Politicians are also buying voters with welfare, food stamps, unemployment, healthcare, pensions & tax cuts.

It's nothing more than legalized bribery.

How is a TV ad bribery?

The media frames the news in favor of the corporation & party that spends the most with their organization.

The elected party are beholden to the corporations who paid for their news coverage & ad time. If they do not do as told while in office the media is paid to & will turn on them.

Politicians are also buying voters with welfare, food stamps, unemployment, healthcare, pensions & tax cuts.

You don't know what a bribe is. A bribe is money paid to someone to get them to do something they otherwise would not do.

An ad is money spent to support someone you agree with or to attack someone you disagree with. Is my post of disagreement with you a bribe?

Newt Gingrich has a friend who is spending $3 million on a very left-leaning half hour show about Mitt Romney's time at Bain Capital.

This person would not be spending that money if they disagreed with what Newt Gingrich believes in and was trying to get Newt to do something different from what he is doing.

This person is spending money attacking the person who he feels would do something in office different than what he wants.

If this rich guy was in a bribing mood, he would be paying off Romney, not spending money on Newt.

Last edited:
How is a TV ad bribery?

You don't know what a bribe is. A bribe is money paid to someone to get them to do something they otherwise would not do.

An ad is money spent to support someone you agree with or to attack someone you disagree with. Is my post of disagreement with you a bribe?

Newt Gingrich has a friend who is spending $3 million on a very left-leaning half hour show about Mitt Romney's time at Bain Capital.

This person would not be spending that money if they disagreed with what Newt Gingrich believes in and was trying to get Newt to do something different from what he is doing.

This person is spending money attacking the person who he feels would do something in office different than what he wants.

If this rich guy was in a bribing mood, he would be paying off Romney, not spending money on Newt.

It was cheaper to bribe Newt than Romney. They would have to spend more to change Romney's mind. They hope Newt will sink Romney.

Free Speech = Money = Property

Boston court ruled that occupation of property is not entitled to First Amendment protection.

occupy-wallstreet-cant-afford-lobbyist.preview.jpg

Last edited:

Yes. Buying votes is routine, it just isn't usually called that because people believe that that is "crass."

In theory at least, a campaign promise is an offer, voting for that politician is acceptance, and therefore, once the guy is elected, there is an obligation to deliver whatever was promised. It's really no different than a commercial contract.

It can be for anything, but especially when politicians are promising higher unemployment benefits, or tax cuts for your bracket, your vote is bought directly in cash.

It was cheaper to bribe Newt than Romney. They would have to spend more to change Romney's mind. They hope Newt will sink Romney.

What is Newt doing for his friend he would not otherwise have done without a bribe?

What is Newt doing for his friend he would not otherwise have done without a bribe?

In the earlier republican debates Newt made a big deal out of not attacking his fellow republican candidates. He defended them & blasted moderators who tried to bait them into attacking each-other. In the last debate as now Newt is a paid attack dog sicked on fellow republican candidate Mitt Romney. Newt has done a complete 180 flip that may be due to that $3 million bribe you speak of.

Free Speech = Money = Property

Boston court ruled that occupation of property is not entitled to First Amendment protection.

Occupation of property is protected by the 5th Amendment, not the First Amendment. You aren't entitled to do anything on someone else's property without the owner's permission.

Now political organizations can hold block parties where they hand out booze, drugs & money for people who get on the bus that will transport them to the poll to vote for their candidate.

I'm worried about the people hyped up on all that tea. :eek:

Yea, 'coz people that feel they have been
Taxed
Enough
Already
are for more worse a voter than a drunk drug addict.
:clap2:

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back