Buying Gold Coins vs ingots

What's better............buying gold coins or buying ingots?

So much conflicting info online.

I guess I should ask it this way....which has a better chance of a higher return when sold.........coins or ingots?

When is the best time during the year/month to buy gold coins?

Is it better to buy a sleeve of 1 gram each gold coins (25 per sleeve) or buy one solid gold 1 ounce coin?

Just wondering, because I want to buy some coins this year.

View attachment 584713

It's six of one, half dozen of the other.

I have gold in one of my safe deposit boxes. I bought 50 ounces, in both coins and bullion, when I retired from the Navy in 2001. Gold was selling for around $270 an ounce. Today, the gold I bought for around $13,000 is worth about $90,000. It just sits there and grows in value.

Bullion doesn't really interest coin collectors. Gold coins interest coin collectors, and some coins can skyrocket in value. For instance, if you are fortunate enough to ever find a 1933 double eagle in your possession, you'll have a coin which is valued at right around $19 million. Of course, only a spare few of those are known to exist, but there's no telling what gold coin might excite collectors next...

It's six of one, half dozen of the other.

I have gold in one of my safe deposit boxes. I bought 50 ounces, in both coins and bullion, when I retired from the Navy in 2001. Gold was selling for around $270 an ounce. Today, the gold I bought for around $13,000 is worth about $90,000. It just sits there and grows in value.

Bullion doesn't really interest coin collectors. Gold coins interest coin collectors, and some coins can skyrocket in value. For instance, if you are fortunate enough to ever find a 1933 double eagle in your possession, you'll have a coin which is valued at right around $19 million. Of course, only a spare few of those are known to exist, but there's no telling what gold coin might excite collectors next...

The precious metals "experts" disagree.
I've been told, bullion coins are the best, and coins specifically made for collectors are only worth what a collector will pay for them. And if that happens to be nothing, then your shit outta luck.
I was told the bullion coins and ingots are the best because thats what they use to value the product.
This goes for backing your money or saving bullion to rise in value.
Actual collectors coins really don't fit into this, because they are only valued at what someone is willing to pay for it.

I did buy some bullion coins though.....99% silver, copper, and one gold ingot. The gold coins are too much for my budget at the moment, but I still want to buy a couple of them at some point.

What's better............buying gold coins or buying ingots?

So much conflicting info online.

I guess I should ask it this way....which has a better chance of a higher return when sold.........coins or ingots?

When is the best time during the year/month to buy gold coins?

Is it better to buy a sleeve of 1 gram each gold coins (25 per sleeve) or buy one solid gold 1 ounce coin?

Just wondering, because I want to buy some coins this year.

View attachment 584713
Lead.

I don't have a dealer.
I'm looking to buy from one online..........like MoneyMetals or GoldenEagle, and those types of dealers.
Consider what will be the easiest to exchange for money or goods. If you have a documented mint gold coin, that gives someone much more confidence than a chunk of yellow metal. Maybe you can get ingots certified too, that I don't know.

/----/ "Stick to bullion unless you find a shoebox filled with rare gold coins at a cheap price."
LOL. Good one.
Sir, would you take $5 for the whole lot?
View attachment 600463
Youd be surprised how cheap people get when they need the money. Irreplaceable classic car, 20% real value?! Do it, we need the money! Gun made in 1750 used during War of independence? $10! Ruining a mans life when he had what it takes to become a millionaire before 30 and wouldve been a great ally to have?! $1000! Fuck him hard boys. Dont let him up till hes 50.

Forum List

Back