Buying Gold Coins vs ingots

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
What's better............buying gold coins or buying ingots?

So much conflicting info online.

I guess I should ask it this way....which has a better chance of a higher return when sold.........coins or ingots?

When is the best time during the year/month to buy gold coins?

Is it better to buy a sleeve of 1 gram each gold coins (25 per sleeve) or buy one solid gold 1 ounce coin?

Just wondering, because I want to buy some coins this year.

1641531265770.jpeg

Definitely find a dealer near you, and experiment with at least a few coins (a few ounces). The one that's been around the longest, preferably. If they are straight, they will look at their computer monitor and quote the spot price, which you can verify on your phone.

The thing is, it's great to have physical bullion, but if you can't trade it for anything, what is it worth? Plan on the event where things DON'T go sideways, and you need to cash in some of your stash.

Planning for a long term issues, I'd allocate a substantial amount in small (1 ounce or less) coins, ones that will be recognizable by fellow traders. The coins seem better than small ingots for small trades with normal traders (imho, much harder to fake). For large chunks, and especially if you are a business and plan to deal with fellow business men for large transactions, then the ingots would be more practical.

The problem, if you haven't heard, is that physical Boullion transactions may soon be outlawed: the new world order wants everything electronic. But how severe will the situation get? will there be any order? That's the gamble.

Peace.

I guess I should ask it this way....which has a better chance of a higher return when sold.........coins or ingots?
Bullion coin and ingots return the same, I would think. A collectable coin wouldn't be a good investment IMHO because if you bought it new, you would have to wait years for appreciation and if you bought an old or rare coin, you would pay the value up front. I would by the bullion and it would follow the market value of gold.
What is their spread........

View attachment 584735

Moneymetals, first coin....gold at $1797.

1-9, they're almost $100 over spot.

Sounds expensive to me.

View attachment 584736

First bar.....sounds expensive.
Gold is $1789 today so each one is $91 more than the value.

Is it better to buy a sleeve of 1 gram each gold coins (25 per sleeve) or buy one solid gold 1 ounce coin?

View attachment 584713
/——/ If you buy ingots then you will have to have them assessed every time you want to trade them. That eats into your profit. Coins are accepted on their face value, plus rarity can increase their value.

Buy a mix of weights. I have bought both, and have a mix of small coins and kgs; depends on prices. I'm buying other metals at the moment, but that is for speculation, not hedging purposes. Other commodities have risen a lot faster.

View attachment 584713
Have you considered buying silver coins? I have some old U.S. 90% silver coins, junk silver. I also bought some British gold sovereigns. I think the silver will be more useful for purchasing everyday items if the economy falls apart. I prefer coins to ingots as they are more easily recognized.

View attachment 584713
The right coins can sell far above spot. Ingots will not.

I've had zero problems selling ingots at face values, or using them as collateral even at Wells Fargo.

Gold coins are easier and less expensive to exchange. Unless you have millions invested in it, that's probably the way you want to go.

Appraising gold is not 'expensive' and detecting fraud is easy; dealers have ultrasound scanners as well as simple weights, all that is needed. They charge appraisal fees only to people who aren't buying or selling to them.

Gold coins are easier and less expensive to exchange. Unless you have millions invested in it, that's probably the way you want to go.
Unless you feel the need to have the physical gold with you, you can avoid assessment fees by just buying gold through a stock broker. Discount brokers can save you money on the fees and you still enjoy the growth that gold may or may not accomplish.

View attachment 584713
I buy (mostly) junk circulated 90% silver coin...The premium is usually lower and the traditional spread between silver and gold is still favoring silver.

After that, I go for MS Morgan dollars (when I can afford the pricier ones) and have become somewhat enamored with the circulated gold 1/4 eagles....After the $20 St. Gaudens, I find it the most asthetically pleasing US coin available.

I buy (mostly) junk circulated 90% silver coin...The premium is usually lower and the traditional spread between silver and gold is still favoring silver.

After that, I go for MS Morgan dollars (when I can afford the pricier ones) and have become somewhat enamored with the circulated gold 1/4 eagles....After the $20 St. Gaudens, I find it the most asthetically pleasing US coin available.
I have been buying proof silver sets from the mint for about thirty years. Also select proof commemorative silver dollars. My favorite, and maybe the best future value because of how unusual it is, was the moon landing silver dollar. This is a "dished" coin. Very unusual. Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Silver Dollar | U.S. Mint

I've made more money trading gold than anything.

What you need to do is assess the premium/discount over the spot price.

If the gold coins are >20% over the spot price, do NOT buy them.

Instead, buy an ETF.

The Sprott ETF is the best one.

Historical rare gold coins are worth more than melt value. But they are rare and at this point only your grandchildren will profit from their rise in value 100 years from now. Stick to bullion unless you find a shoebox filled with rare gold coins at a cheap price.

Historical rare gold coins are worth more than melt value. But they are rare and at this point only your grandchildren will profit from their rise in value 100 years from now. Stick to bullion unless you find a shoebox filled with rare gold coins at a cheap price.
/----/ "Stick to bullion unless you find a shoebox filled with rare gold coins at a cheap price."
LOL. Good one.
Sir, would you take $5 for the whole lot?
1644673296298.png

Forum List

Back