Buying a car the modern way

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I believe that I have just traded in my VW Touareg and purchased a Jetta GLI, through Carvana.

I found the car I wanted amongst the millions that they had available...exactly the right model, options, color, and price. Sent them the particulars on my trade; got a fantastic allowance for my trade, filled out the figurative paperwork, including sending them pdf's of the documents.

They tell me they will show up on Thursday (three days from now) with my new car and take away the old one.

They tried to sell me a few things (extended warranty, car insurance, financing), but I politely declined and just continued through the process. No problem.

No human involvement at all.

Under current market conditions, one is paying a lot for used cars. The price of the Jetta is pretty much what it cost when it was new. But I'm getting pretty much what I paid for my Touareg three years ago.

The T-reg is a nice vehicle and is in perfect shape, but I'm getting a 48 month factory warranty, a newer car, a funner car, and a more economical car in the bargain.

I have bought dozens of cars, trucks and MC's in my life, and I can't for the life of me figure out the downside of this transaction. Not having to deal with a car salesman is a significant benefit in itself.

I believe that I have just traded in my VW Touareg and purchased a Jetta GLI, through Carvana.

I found the car I wanted amongst the millions that they had available...exactly the right model, options, color, and price. Sent them the particulars on my trade; got a fantastic allowance for my trade, filled out the figurative paperwork, including sending them pdf's of the documents.

They tell me they will show up on Thursday (three days from now) with my new car and take away the old one.

They tried to sell me a few things (extended warranty, car insurance, financing), but I politely declined and just continued through the process. No problem.

Under current market conditions, one is paying a lot for used cars. The price of the Jetta is pretty much what it cost when it was new. But I'm getting pretty much what I paid for my Touareg three years ago.

The T-reg is a nice vehicle and is in perfect shape, but I'm getting a 48 month factory warranty, a newer car, a funner car, and a more economical car in the bargain.

I have bought dozens of cars, trucks and MC's in my life, and I can't for the life of me figure out the downside of this transaction. Not having to deal with a car salesman is a significant benefit in itself.
Congrats! Let us know whichever way it works out. I need to trade my jeep for a pickup.

I L-O-V-E the new way.

The ass pain I experienced 20 years ago.

All of that is simply bypassed.

Bought a car and traded one in to Carvana a little over 3 years ago. Was a great experience Will do it again when the time comes.
Great company great experience

I've been thinking to use Carvana for my next purchase as well.

Should have done it for the car I have now, but I was impatient.

You should have kept in the Touareg line, but enjoy your ride.

When I sold a car a few months back, they sent out a work from home tech with a I-pad. She filled out a form on line, took like six pictures of the car I was selling, handed me a check and took the keys. She put them into a lockbox that was attached to the drivers side window and locked the car. That was it.

Two drawbacks I had:

First, I live in a condo where you can't just drive into the parking area. You have to have a code.I imagine a contractor wold come by later on and take the car I was selling and they wouldn't have the code. So she had me drive to an open parking lot on a nearby property. Luckily there was an abandoned store nearby my condo. So I parked it there and walked home. If the weather was bad or if this property was too far away, it would have really sucked.

Secondly the check she handed me was very poorly printed. I have a brokerage account to which I was going to electronically deposit my check. The transaction didn't work. I've done this sort of thing--electronically depositing my check--like 3-4 dozen times...no problem. It didn't work this time. Anyway...I think they have an electronic funds transfer option at Carvana so this may not be an issue for others...it was for me. I don't like giving my banking account info out to others so I wanted a paper check...LOL.

I just had a little human contact. They called me and asked for PHOTOs of my license, etc., rather than scans. Not a problem. They guy I spoke with was nothing like a salesman of any kind. Very accommodating, considerate, and detailed.

Still on for Thursday.

I don't know about that route myself for a used vehicle.
I want my test drive, to look under the hood for leaks, bad belt, hoses, general condition of engine.
I will even crawl under the vehicle checking linkage, exhaust, brake lines, condition of brakes if visible, tranny and oil pan gaskets. Tire condition.

Final follow up. The car was delivered today, and they took away my trade on their truck. The driver could not drive a stick. He stalled in three times before I accosted him and asked what the problem was. I actually felt sorry for him. But no problem.

The deal is really great. There is a seven day period when you can change your mind and turn the car in, no questions asked. There is a 100 day guarantee period, when they will pay for ANY repairs, even things that are not covered by normal warranties (e.g., brakes).

There was one issue with the car. The brakes were grinding - even after the patina had worn off the rotors. Something is up. I don't expect it to be a problem, since Carvana will pay to have them fixed. Interesting, because the brakes on the Jetta GLI are reputed to be an upgrade from the GTI, using the brakes from the Type R. We'll see.

The car looks and drives great. Thoroughly satisfied.

Whoa, Nellie! Carvana asked for my checking account number when the transaction was initiated, and I told their rep that I would be paying with a cashier's check, since I did not want to disclose my banking information. I gave the driver the cashier's check.

Time passes.

We start getting OVERDRAFT notices from the Bank!

Carvana TOOK MY ACCOUNT NUMBER FROM THE CERTIFIED CHECK, DEBITED THE ACCOUNT FOR THE SAME AMOUNT, AND THEN BEGAN PROCESSING THE CHECK! So they took TWO payments for the same car!

When I finally found a number to call to express my outrage I got the usual bureaucratic bullshit; they will credit my account when the certified check is processed...3-5 days. Of course this conversation was FIVE DAYS after I gave them the certified check. Not really much I can do.

I could call them and tell them I don't want their [fucking] car (I have seven days to return, without penalty), but that would be childish, and I do want the car. In fact, I love it.

Shit piss **** fuck poopie.

Whoa, Nellie! Carvana asked for my checking account number when the transaction was initiated, and I told their rep that I would be paying with a cashier's check, since I did not want to disclose my banking information. I gave the driver the cashier's check.

Time passes.

We start getting OVERDRAFT notices from the Bank!

Carvana TOOK MY ACCOUNT NUMBER FROM THE CERTIFIED CHECK, DEBITED THE ACCOUNT FOR THE SAME AMOUNT, AND THEN BEGAN PROCESSING THE CHECK! So they took TWO payments for the same car!

When I finally found a number to call to express my outrage I got the usual bureaucratic bullshit; they will credit my account when the certified check is processed...3-5 days. Of course this conversation was FIVE DAYS after I gave them the certified check. Not really much I can do.

I could call them and tell them I don't want their [fucking] car (I have seven days to return, without penalty), but that would be childish, and I do want the car. In fact, I love it.

Shit piss **** fuck poopie.
I would be calling the FTC, the state AG, and probably the SEC. That is NOT fucking cool!

Forum List

Back