Buy American

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
I notice a common theme when arguing about labor/wages. Republicans insist if you raise wages, companies are going to go overseas and consumers are going to pay more. But I notice they don't complain when CEO's and VP's pay goes up 1322%. That will be part of this discussion too but the fact is, buying American is important. Here is a good op ed on why

In 2016, the single topic that most likely propelled Donald Trump to the White House by grabbing voters in Midwestern swing states was "free trade," as he repeatedly pointed out the stupidity of promoting offshore manufacturing simply to reduce labor expenses.

He promised to bring manufacturing back to America, and voters in the former manufacturing powerhouses of the Midwest bought his sales pitch. (Sadly, he was so incompetent that his efforts actually made things worse.)

We can't say we want to bring back manufacturing but only want to pay $15 hr. That isn't going to MAGA.

American manufacturing was at the core of the American Dream, with good union manufacturing jobs offering stability and prosperity to a growing American middle class. It also made America the technological leader of the entire planet.

Nixon had "opened" China on behalf of Pepsi, and Reagan and Bush negotiated the NAFTA agreement that was at the heart of the 1992 presidential campaign, "free trade" being such a hot issue that it brought billionaire Ross Perot in as a single-issue candidate with his infamous "giant sucking sound from south of the border" commentary. (break run on sentence and tell me why this was a bad idea)

During the 1980s, though, President Reagan radically expanded the use of a loophole in the Buy American Act that allowed the president to sign "waivers" to allow government agencies to purchase things from offshore manufacturers.

The waiver provision was in the law so our government wouldn't be crippled if it immediately needed something that wasn't domestically available; the assumption was that they would be used judiciously and rarely. And that was the case until the 1980s, when Reagan started handing out waivers like jellybeans.

Didn't I say Reagan was the beginning of the end of the middle class? Here's another example.

I've stated this story before. I go to a shoe store with the wife. I see shoes priced at $50 and above all made in places like Vietnam and India.

I refuse to believe we can't profitably make $50 shoes in this country.

But it totally falls apart when that rationale is used as an excuse to ship manufacturing for products in heavy domestic demand to offshore facilities simply because labor is cheaper and environmental regulations are weaker.

In 1981, IBM introduced the first major-market personal computer, the famous "Model 5150" otherwise known as the IBM PC. By 1983, they were selling a quarter million a year, and the federal government was ramping up purchases.

As IBM turned to offshore suppliers for more and more of their components, the trickle of Reagan's waivers turned into a flood.

Bill Clinton continued the practice, and by 2000 IBM had moved all their production offshore (as had their major competitor, Apple) and Wal-Mart, founded on Sam Walton's slogan of "100% Made in the USA," had become America's largest importer of Chinese-manufactured goods.

I've stated this story before. I go to a shoe store with the wife. I see shoes priced at $50 and above all made in places like Vietnam and India.

I'm still reading this op ed. He said

The "wealth" of America is transferred to China every time a cash-register rings at Walmart or in pretty much any other American retail outlet store.

And while tariffs around the world have generally collapsed, which is arguably a good thing because it increases general world prosperity, there are dozens of other tools America and other countries can use to encourage domestic manufacturing and technological innovation.

simply reduce the number of waivers to the Buy American Act, and for Congress to strengthen that legislation.

Government spending represents about 1/6th of the American economy, and if (as both Alexander Hamilton and Franklin Roosevelt demanded) that spending is limited to products made in the USA, every manufacturing company in the country will rush to rebuild their US factories and R&D facilities.

America is today engaged in a war of sorts with China to control the wealth that manufacturing produces. Our different systems of governance and economics are also competing for the hearts and minds of the developing world.

The stakes are enormous.

Combined with strengthening US alliances with Western Europe, returning manufacturing to our nation is the most important step we can take to balance China's growing influence and power, both economic, military and political.

It would both restore America's moral and economic leadership in the world and rebuild our middle class. Congress and President Biden need to act.

No one can wave a magic wand and decree that Americans can make $30/hr and manufacture goods that are competitive in the international marketplace. No one can erect an economic fence around the United States and decree that we won't buy from other countries, because we also SELL a shitload of things to those countries, and if they retaliate we will suffer greatly.

The American manufacturers that are competitive are generally those who maximize the use of automation, and thus minimize the hours per unit of manufactured goods. The Big Three, the steel producers, the coal mines, and the agricultural giants have all dramatically reduced the hours needed to produce what they produce, and many of those remaining make a good wage, but the days of an ignorant HS grad walking down to the mill into a job that will support him, his wife, and 2.3 kids are long gone.

And it is not the fault of any politician. The world moves on, whether we like it or not. You can't go back.

I notice a common theme when arguing about labor/wages. Republicans insist if you raise wages, companies are going to go overseas and consumers are going to pay more. But I notice they don't complain when CEO's and VP's pay goes up 1322%. That will be part of this discussion too but the fact is, buying American is important. Here is a good op ed on why

In 2016, the single topic that most likely propelled Donald Trump to the White House by grabbing voters in Midwestern swing states was "free trade," as he repeatedly pointed out the stupidity of promoting offshore manufacturing simply to reduce labor expenses.

He promised to bring manufacturing back to America, and voters in the former manufacturing powerhouses of the Midwest bought his sales pitch. (Sadly, he was so incompetent that his efforts actually made things worse.)

We can't say we want to bring back manufacturing but only want to pay $15 hr. That isn't going to MAGA.
From your link:
A powerful, and relatively uncontroversial step the Biden administration could take now to begin restoring American manufacturing and technology would be to simply reduce the number of waivers to the Buy American Act, and for Congress to strengthen that legislation.

The President believes that when we spend American taxpayers’ dollars, it should support American workers and businesses. In his first week in office, President Biden signed Executive Order 14005, Ensuring the Future is Made in All of America by All of America’s Workers, launching a whole-of-government initiative to strengthen the use of federal procurement to support American manufacturing.

Since January, the Biden-Harris Administration has made significant progress implementing the President’s vision. In April, the President opened his new Made in America Office. The Office reviews proposed waivers of Made-in-America laws and helps agencies use taxpayer dollars to support U.S. manufacturing.

The Made in America Office issued new waiver guidance to fulfill the President’s commitment to scrutinize and reduce waivers to Made-in-America laws. The guidance lays out a whole of government agenda to maximize the use of taxpayer dollars on domestic products and services to strengthen our industrial base and create good-paying, union jobs for Americans.

Such is the cost of .gov regulation.....You leftists wanted it so now you got it.

Every weekend at he local flea market the busiest two tables there belong to a couple of black guys, one sells boots/shoes and the other used outerwear.

Back when I used to set up I made bank selling lightly used work boots.....Buy them for a couple bucks at a yard sale and sell them for $12 - $20 depending on brand quality. I seldom took them back home.

Such is the cost of .gov regulation.....You leftists wanted it so now you got it.

A generic reply which means nothing. We can profitably make $50 shoes here even if we, unlike say India won't allow a business to pump their wastes into the rivers.

Every weekend at he local flea market the busiest two tables there belong to a couple of black guys, one sells boots/shoes and the other used outerwear.

Back when I used to set up I made bank selling lightly used work boots.....Buy them for a couple bucks at a yard sale and sell them for $12 - $20 depending on brand quality. I seldom took them back home.

Good for you.

No one can wave a magic wand and decree that Americans can make $30/hr and manufacture goods that are competitive in the international marketplace. No one can erect an economic fence around the United States and decree that we won't buy from other countries, because we also SELL a shitload of things to those countries, and if they retaliate we will suffer greatly.

The American manufacturers that are competitive are generally those who maximize the use of automation, and thus minimize the hours per unit of manufactured goods. The Big Three, the steel producers, the coal mines, and the agricultural giants have all dramatically reduced the hours needed to produce what they produce, and many of those remaining make a good wage, but the days of an ignorant HS grad walking down to the mill into a job that will support him, his wife, and 2.3 kids are long gone.

And it is not the fault of any politician. The world moves on, whether we like it or not. You can't go back.
Originally I was looking for an op ed that explained why Hell YES I would pay an extra $4 for some things or even $1000 more for a car if it meant buying American. It's worth it to me, to us. Enough to tariff imports. Not all, some. Be selective. Car manufacturing should be done in America. Look at Honda and Toyota. They manufacture in America right? I'm sure it'd be cheaper in China but we make them make those cars here. The cars we sell around the world are made in Mexico. I get why we do it. The tariffs are much lower in Mexico. We need to fix that but that's probably not easy. I heard Mexico has the lowest tariffs in the world.

There is also cost in manufacturing overseas. And yes these companies who come back will have to pay taxes. And yes that will be passed on to you the consumer.

You American consumers are so funny. So poor and yet spend so much on shit. Then complain about wages raising the cost of shit you buy.

A generic reply which means nothing. We can profitably make $50 shoes here even if we, unlike say India won't allow a business to pump their wastes into the rivers.
Truth hurts.....but OK prove me wrong smart guy

I'm talking a ground-up operation with all materials used in their construction derived from only US-made sources.....LOL....You might be able to make prison "skips" and sell them for that.

s-l640.jpg

I doubt if theses are US made:

Truth hurts.....but OK prove me wrong smart guy

I'm talking a ground-up operation with all materials used in their construction derived from only US-made sources.....LOL....You might be able to make prison "skips" and sell them for that.

s-l640.jpg

I doubt if theses are US made:

I see Yeezy shoes on Amazon for $850. We can afford to pay someone $25 hr to make shoes and still be highly profitable no? Even if we sold our shoes at $150.

You know, you can tell a lot about a feller by the shoes he wears.

That's one of the first things I look at, odd as it sounds.

Watch out for them pointy toed shoe wearing fellers. Shady....

You stupid Moon Bat.

If you don't like what a company pays its CEO then don't buy anything from that company. Problem solved.

Just like I don't like these bloated greedy Democrat supporting Commie Unions like the UAW so I don't buy anything made by them.

See how it works?

95% of the AR Pattern Parts I purchase for Builds are made in USA ( Some of my Optics are from
Canada , Japan and China )

You stupid Moon Bat.

If you don't like what a company pays its CEO then don't buy anything from that company. Problem solved.

Just like I don't like these bloated greedy Democrat supporting Commie Unions like the UAW so I don't buy anything made by them.

See how it works?
I love the lame old republican arguments in the defense of the rich. Stop telling us Democrats are the party for the rich. It's clearly Republicans.

Stop defending the CEO's of Ford and GM since you hate their cars so much.

BTW idiot, they make more than the Toyota and Honda North American CEO. His pay is more in line with the workers in the south who don't make nearly as much as we do in the South. But it doesn't take much to make those goobers happy. Plus Toyota and Honda spend a lot of money to make sure their plants don't organize. They are at risk. I'll tell you that. Then who's cars will you buy?

I love the lame old republican arguments in the defense of the rich. Stop telling us Democrats are the party for the rich. It's clearly Republicans.

Stop defending the CEO's of Ford and GM since you hate their cars so much.

BTW idiot, they make more than the Toyota and Honda North American CEO. His pay is more in line with the workers in the south who don't make nearly as much as we do in the South. But it doesn't take much to make those goobers happy. Plus Toyota and Honda spend a lot of money to make sure their plants don't organize. They are at risk. I'll tell you that. Then who's cars will you buy?
if you don't like the CEOs of Ford and GM and think they are overpaid then don't buy any Ford or GM products. Is that too hard for your feeble Moon Bat brain to comprehend?

Just like me not buying Fords and GM vehicles because they are made by the greedy Commies Democrat supporting UAW assholes. Also, they are mostly crappy vehicles.

if you don't like the CEOs of Ford and GM and think they are overpaid then don't buy any Ford or GM products. Is that too hard for your feeble Moon Bat brain to comprehend?

Just like me not buying Fords and GM vehicles because they are made by the greedy Commies Democrat supporting UAW assholes. Also, they are mostly crappy vehicles.
Like I said, you anti worker rich republicans have said that in defense of the rich for years. I'm sick of responding to it.

What happens when Toyota and Honda unionize?

Like I said, you anti worker rich republicans have said that in defense of the rich for years. I'm sick of responding to it.

What happens when Toyota and Honda unionize?

Like I said, if you don't like how much money that a corporation pays one of its employees then just don't buy anything from that corporation. Stop being an envious little pussy.

I could care less what other people are paid. That is not my concern. If I think something ain't right, like we see with Union thuggery and supporting the Democrat scum, then I will simply not buy anything made by them.

You hate personal responsibility, don't you?

Forum List

Back