businesses that ban guns...remember Luby's cafe....

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
As the various anti gun groups associated with Michael Bloomberg try to stifle the right to bear arms by pressuring restaurants and other businesses...it may be time to remember Luby's cafe...Panera bread has become the latest to ask it's customers to disarm when they patronize the restaurant...

The Luby s Cafeteria Massacre A Brutal Reminder to Restaurants Telling Customers No Guns - Katie Pavlich

In 1991 Texas residents were banned by law from bringing firearms into restaurants. That same year, a mad man with an intent to kill as many people as possible, crashed his truck into a Lubys Cafeteria in Killeen. The man got out of his vehicle and shot 50 people, killing 23 of them. One of the survivors, Dr. Susan Gratia-Hupp, had left her gun in the parking lot and watched as her parents were executed in front of her. She was following the rules and obeying the law by leaving her gun in the car, right where the killer knew it would be. As Hupp describes in her own words, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Everyone was defenseless.

As a survivor of the Luby's massacre, Hupp testified across the country in support of concealed-handgun laws. She said that if there had been a second chance to prevent the slaughter, she would have violated the Texas law and carried the handgun inside her purse into the restaurant. She testified across the country in support of concealed handgun laws, and was elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1996. The law was signed by then-Governor George W. Bush.

I remember hearing her testimony...during the attack, as she was laying there watching the killer execute defenseless people she stated she had a clear shot at the guy...but because the law forced her to disarm....she never had the chance to take that shot...

you can add other restaurants to the list...Brown's chicken in Palatine
Illinois...and others where killers had free reign due to an unarmed clientele.

the author of the article Katie Pavlich went to Gunsite last year, a gun fighting school founded by the legendary Jeff Cooper, and took their pistol and rifle courses....she wrote good pieces on that experience as well...she is no longer someone to trifle with...

Last edited:
There are mornings when I think "why clip this uncomfortable piece of iron inside my waistband- what could possibly happen in this sleepy little town". But I have made it my routine, just like a clip the phone to my belt.

And those "no handgun" signs?

What "no handgun" signs? :dunno:

Worth double repeating. Hey libs !

One of the survivors, Dr. Susan Gratia-Hupp, had left her gun in the parking lot and watched as her parents were executed in front of her.

Thanks for the posts everyone...

Bloomberg's bodyguards, he has like 23 of them, carry guns.
Why not? He probably gets a lot of threats from gun fondling pussies.

I have never fondled a gun in my life. I have handled, carried, examined, disassembled, assembled, fired, cleaned, checked, rechecked, and dry-fired many many guns. But I have never fondled one. What is it like?

And, while I do carry a firearm legally, I am more than capable of handling a physical confrontation without it. Provided I know my assailant is unarmed as well, and there is only one of them. But I do not go unarmed simply because you think it somehow effects my masculinity.

But when you are prepared to discuss the actual issue, let me know.

There's nothing that gives one a feeling of safety and security like having lunch, surrounded by strangers carrying AR-16's with no particular requirement for training for the proper use thereof.....

I agree with you that the open carry of rifles or shotguns in a restaurant is the height of insanity.

I agree with you that the open carry of rifles or shotguns in a restaurant is the height of insanity.

Height of insanity...not really....awkward in the confined space of a restaurant...especially if more than one person has the rifle...sure....it's not like you could check the weapon at the hat check....however....a restaurant might be able to charge a check fee and have rifles checked and secured at the door....that would discourage people, or at least keep the rifles from cluttering up the aisle...

Height of insanity...not really....awkward in the confined space of a restaurant...especially if more than one person has the rifle...sure....it's not like you could check the weapon at the hat check....however....a restaurant might be able to charge a check fee and have rifles checked and secured at the door....that would discourage people, or at least keep the rifles from cluttering up the aisle...

I'm sure that is what they do at the NRA employees cafeteria.....

I'm sure that is what they do at the NRA employees cafeteria.....

They probably keep their rifles in their office and just carry their pistols on their hips...hmmmm...odd that no lefty has ever tried to shoot up the NRA headquarters...

As the various anti gun groups associated with Michael Bloomberg try to stifle the right to bear arms by pressuring restaurants and other businesses...it may be time to remember Luby's cafe...Panera bread has become the latest to ask it's customers to disarm when they patronize the restaurant...

The Luby s Cafeteria Massacre A Brutal Reminder to Restaurants Telling Customers No Guns - Katie Pavlich

In 1991 Texas residents were banned by law from bringing firearms into restaurants. That same year, a mad man with an intent to kill as many people as possible, crashed his truck into a Lubys Cafeteria in Killeen. The man got out of his vehicle and shot 50 people, killing 23 of them. One of the survivors, Dr. Susan Gratia-Hupp, had left her gun in the parking lot and watched as her parents were executed in front of her. She was following the rules and obeying the law by leaving her gun in the car, right where the killer knew it would be. As Hupp describes in her own words, it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Everyone was defenseless.

As a survivor of the Luby's massacre, Hupp testified across the country in support of concealed-handgun laws. She said that if there had been a second chance to prevent the slaughter, she would have violated the Texas law and carried the handgun inside her purse into the restaurant. She testified across the country in support of concealed handgun laws, and was elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1996. The law was signed by then-Governor George W. Bush.

I remember hearing her testimony...during the attack, as she was laying there watching the killer execute defenseless people she stated she had a clear shot at the guy...but because the law forced her to disarm....she never had the chance to take that shot...

you can add other restaurants to the list...Brown's chicken in Palatine
Illinois...and others where killers had free reign due to an unarmed clientele.

the author of the article Katie Pavlich went to Gunsite last year, a gun fighting school founded by the legendary Jeff Cooper, and took their pistol and rifle courses....she wrote good pieces on that experience as well...she is no longer someone to trifle with...

Guess what?

Private business owners can choose what happens in their business. They have the right to tell people to leave their weapons at home.

If you don't like it that's tough.

It's called FREEDOM.

If you think that regular people are going to go someplace that has people who open carry guns you're nuts.

Most regular people aren't going to go into that business.

In fact most people will be too scared to be around that gun. They will go to other business that rightly don't allow people to walk around with their guns.

I was on a ferry once and saw a man walking around with a gun in a holster on his hip. It scared the crap out of me. I noticed most of the other people were upset and were heading for the door to go to their car.

I joined a long line of people who went back to their cars and locked the doors.

Forum List

Back