Buck season commences in Pennsylvania

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
A lot of guys will be out in the woods, drinking premium beer with their rifles and hunting outfits looking to assassinate a buck.

Be careful if you in the Pennsylvania woods this week for hiking or other reasons. You don't want to be wearing all brown and fake antlers for sure to prank the hunters.

Be careful in your cars on the highways and byways as well. Deer are notorious for jaywalking when avoiding gunfire.

I never had much interest in hunting, but to those like John Kerry and Elmer Fudd who go for it, I salute them. A friend of mine died while hunting 20 years ago. Had a heart attack in a tree stand.

Awful weather today. The rest of the week looks pretty good, albeit a little chilly.

Awful weather today. The rest of the week looks pretty good, albeit a little chilly.

Just some snow showers around here, but they will be getting 3-4 inches east of here in the counties of Elk, Cameron, McKean, etc. That's really what you want to see during buck season. A few inches makes it easier to drag you buck carcass back to your vehicle.

A lot of guys will be out in the woods, drinking premium beer with their rifles and hunting outfits looking to assassinate a buck.

Be careful if you in the Pennsylvania woods this week for hiking or other reasons. You don't want to be wearing all brown and fake antlers for sure to prank the hunters.

Be careful in your cars on the highways and byways as well. Deer are notorious for jaywalking when avoiding gunfire.

I never had much interest in hunting, but to those like John Kerry and Elmer Fudd who go for it, I salute them. A friend of mine died while hunting 20 years ago. Had a heart attack in a tree stand.

We will be hunting again this year for a couple of local foodbanks. I am only interested in some jerky and venison sausage. My wife's parents are too civilized (read: liberal) to eat deer. Unless our state governments decide to use food as leverage to get us tested and/or vaccinated, the bulk of the meat we harvest will feed others.

Speaking of deer hunting stories everyone seems to know someone who died (peacefully) in a tree stand. One year, many hunting seasons ago, I did my mother a favor by taking a neighbor—a well known and respected businessman in her community—on his first deer hunt in PA. I grew up around the guy and he always seemed like a decent dude, hailing from an Old World Italian family, but they were city people. He bought a brand new Winchester .30-30 for his big day and we sighted it in together at a range outside of town. After a couple of days hunting together with no luck we were walking back through the wide fields of a farm on the outskirts of town. Out of the blue this guy decides to empty his rifle in a random direction, which happened to be toward another back road. I decided not to hunt with him again, despite my mother's pleas to get the guy his first whitetail. Couple of days later I read about some woman's car shot full of bullet holes while sitting in her driveway. Thank God she wasn't in it when that idiot decided to fire off his rifle out of frustration. From that point on I decided to never hunt with random assholes ever again.

I’ve been deer hunting since about age 14.

its a great sport

Just some snow showers around here, but they will be getting 3-4 inches east of here in the counties of Elk, Cameron, McKean, etc. That's really what you want to see during buck season. A few inches makes it easier to drag you buck carcass back to your vehicle.

And snow transforms any stand of trees into a crystalline cathedral of a sanctuary; so quiet and holy.

We will be hunting again this year for a couple of local foodbanks. I am only interested in some jerky and venison sausage. My wife's parents are too civilized (read: liberal) to eat deer. Unless our state governments decide to use food as leverage to get us tested and/or vaccinated, the bulk of the meat we harvest will feed others.

Speaking of deer hunting stories everyone seems to know someone who died (peacefully) in a tree stand. One year, many hunting seasons ago, I did my mother a favor by taking a neighbor—a well known and respected businessman in her community—on his first deer hunt in PA. I grew up around the guy and he always seemed like a decent dude, hailing from an Old World Italian family, but they were city people. He bought a brand new Winchester .30-30 for his big day and we sighted it in together at a range outside of town. After a couple of days hunting together with no luck we were walking back through the wide fields of a farm on the outskirts of town. Out of the blue this guy decides to empty his rifle in a random direction, which happened to be toward another back road. I decided not to hunt with him again, despite my mother's pleas to get the guy his first whitetail. Couple of days later I read about some woman's car shot full of bullet holes while sitting in her driveway. Thank God she wasn't in it when that idiot decided to fire off his rifle out of frustration. From that point on I decided to never hunt with random assholes ever again.
You must be careful who you hunt with. Safety is a big issue, but many folks are more interested in huge breakfasts, dinner buffers, and being away from home on a vacation.

You must be careful who you hunt with. Safety is a big issue, but many folks are more interested in huge breakfasts, dinner buffers, and being away from home on a vacation.

True. Just the act of getting out into the woods is like worship. I miss the old days of deer camp with my father and uncles. Taking a deer was often the least exciting/memorable part of those trips. Acceptance at the adult "table" was the big draw—as was climbing up and down the Potter county mountains.

True. Just the act of getting out into the woods is like worship. I miss the old days of deer camp with my father and uncles. Taking a deer was often the least exciting/memorable part of those trips. Acceptance at the adult "table" was the big draw—as was climbing up and down the Potter county mountains.
Pretty sure God claims a clear title for Potter County. although the Elk heard disputes it.

You all should read The Bear, a hunting story in Go Down Moses by William Faulkner. You would love it!!!

When I pulled into my driveway earlier this month, this guy was standing barely 10' away off my driveway.

1606756895727.png

In my area I grew up in. Friday before opening day of deer season the school was like a ghost town .Because it was a tradition kids were allowed to go to hunting camp the day before and get it ready for the adults .We spent the day and night alone there .

It's already started...Hunter fatally shoots another hunter in Minnesota after mistaking him for a deer

It's already started...Hunter fatally shoots another hunter in Minnesota after mistaking him for a deer

I had a few friends who would invite me to their hunting club. Good hunting, but one of them was talking about almost shooting someone because he "sounded like a deer walking". Turns out, this idiot would shoot at the SOUND. Never went back.

I had a few friends who would invite me to their hunting club. Good hunting, but one of them was talking about almost shooting someone because he "sounded like a deer walking". Turns out, this idiot would shoot at the SOUND. Never went back.
Went once with about four other guys. Once camp was set up the beer came out. Wasn't long before...bet I get hit that road sign 100 yards down the road. Big reason I switched to bow hunting season. A little safer.

I watched an 11 year old get his first deer a couple of weeks age. Memory I will treasure for ever. It is about being out doors with people you care about. I was out with four generations in family. It was fun cooking breakfast for 12 before we left also. Good times. Good year fishing also 170 pounds of walleye and 75 pounds of perch in the freezer right now.

New Topics

Forum List

Back