Brittany Griner

This would never have happened if women would have been out supporting the WNBA. Filling the seats, buying the merchandise, watching it on TV. The WNBA has been in existence now for 26 seasons, and NOT one single time have they been profitable, and in fact if not for money from the NBA, the league would have folded years ago. You want 'equality' in pay for play, that would have kept players like Griner home? Then get out there and support your team women!!
And that is the problem. We have to pay for this. We have to pay for sports channels who are propaganda artists. And the people involved think they are above reproach.

Lying again
“We“ are “paying” for it. There isn’t a lacarte cable service so if you have cable you’re “paying” for all kinds of content you dint necessarily want. Given the WNBAs weak viewership any TV contract they received was a gift funded by people paying for cable or the content on the channels that bought the WNBA time m

That’s BS. That might be her story but I don’t buy it.

Since the basketball teams are owned by Olighards, she thought she'd be fine! The problem is we're at war with Russia over their attacks on The Ukraine! It may have happened a week later, but we're still at odds with Putin and his buddies! I'd have more sympathy for this woman if she wasn't being a greedy POS who wasn't satisfied with the lion's share of the WNBA! She put herself at risk just going to Russia! Now we have to give up an arm's dealer and murderer just to extricate her from a problem she put herself in! I have more sympathy for others who've been locked up for yrs. on trumped up charges when she's as guilty AF! :( :mad:

Since the basketball teams are owned by Olighards, she thought she'd be fine! The problem is we're at war with Russia over their attacks on The Ukraine! It may have happened a week later, but we're still at odds with Putin and his buddies! I'd have more sympathy for this woman if she wasn't being a greedy POS who wasn't satisfied with the lion's share of the WNBA! She put herself at risk just going to Russia! Now we have to give up an arm's dealer and murderer just to extricate her from a problem she put herself in! I have more sympathy for others who've been locked up for yrs. on trumped up charges when she's as guilty AF! :( :mad:
Russia turned down the offer of the arms dealer for Griner and Whelan.

Im confused by the narrative/expectations surrounding this story for a number of reasons.

Let me say that I want this woman to be returned to the US swiftly and safely. She's a US citizen, and our government should be working to get her returned home.

That said.

1. She did break the law (Russian law) allegedly by having cannabis oil in her carry on. I'm not spun up on what the punishment for that type of crime is in Russia but like it or not we have to accept their legal process. Is the contention that she didn't have cannabis oil in her baggage? I haven't heard anyone say that she didn't.

She actually had a legal prescription for a cannibas based product... but she should have better educated herself on Russian law before she went there.

2. This couldn't be going on at a worse time. Russia has no motivation to negotiate with the US right now.

No, they don't. The question is, do we give Russia their arms dealer back to get her. I'm sure no matter what Biden does, you'll complain about it, though.

3. Her wife made the assertion that she was in Russia playing because the WNBA doesn't pay her enough. She makes 220k a year from the WNBA a sum of money most people can live on. A league that runs a 10 million dollar a year deficit and wouldn't even exist if not for the largess of the NBA. I'm not sure how much money a person can expect to make from a failing business venture that only continues to stay afloat due to the charity of another super lucrative business. Making 220k a year playing a game in a league that hemorrhages 10 million dollars a year seems pretty good to me.

Most people don't have a retinue of trainers, publicists, attorneys that need to get paid on a regular basis. Frankly, I have no idea why the WNBA exists, but it does.

4. Im not sure how fast everyone expected her to be returned to the US. If we use the recently released Reed as a gauge she might be in Russia for a year or more. He was held for 3 years I think, it doesnt seem reasonable to assume she would be released before her trial has concluded.

Hopefully this issue is resolved quickly and Brittany gets to come home safe to her family both immediate and her American family but it's likely going to take a year or more for that to happen.

Or we can get her back tomorrow by exchanging her for an Arms Merchant the Russians want back.

She actually had a legal prescription for a cannibas based product... but she should have better educated herself on Russian law before she went there.
Apparently not valid in Russia. And let’s be honest the THC prescriptions are bullshit. She just likes getting high.
No, they don't. The question is, do we give Russia their arms dealer back to get her. I'm sure no matter what Biden does, you'll complain about it, though.
Most people don't have a retinue of trainers, publicists, attorneys that need to get paid on a regular basis. Frankly, I have no idea why the WNBA exists, but it does.
Trainers are provided by the teams. I’m betting so would the “publicist“. Her attorney“s are her problem I’m not begrudging her going out and earNing. Good for her. The narrative that she only has to because the US is sexist basEd on her salary in the WNBA is BS though
Or we can get her back tomorrow by exchanging her for an Arms Merchant the Russians want back.
We offered it and Russia turned her down. But it’s a fair question to ask why it was offered for her but not Paul Whelan or Trevor Reed. Is BG more “valuable” than those 2?

Apparently not valid in Russia. And let’s be honest the THC prescriptions are bullshit. She just likes getting high.
So what?

Trainers are provided by the teams. I’m betting so would the “publicist“. Her attorney“s are her problem I’m not begrudging her going out and earNing. Good for her. The narrative that she only has to because the US is sexist basEd on her salary in the WNBA is BS though

Point is if she were a man she'd be making seven or eight figures.

We offered it and Russia turned her down. But it’s a fair question to ask why it was offered for her but not Paul Whelan or Trevor Reed. Is BG more “valuable” than those 2?

Paul Whelan - You mean the guy who was discharged from the USMC for grand larceny before he was caught actually spying in Russia?
Trevor Reed just sounds like a guy who got drunk and got into a fight with Russian cops, which is dumb but not evil.

Point is if she were a man she'd be making seven or eight figures.
Not unless she got exponentially better at basketball. theres nothing stopping her from playing in the NBA now. Well accept her ability to play basketball at a high enough level. She’s only able to make as much as she’s making precisely because she’s a woman and doesn’t have t compete with men. Take away the WNBA charity league and she makes zero dollars in the US as a basketball player based on her actual ability to play basketball.
Paul Whelan - You mean the guy who was discharged from the USMC for grand larceny before he was caught actually spying in Russia?

Trevor Reed just sounds like a guy who got drunk and got into a fight with Russian cops, which is dumb but not evil.
What does his issues in the Marine corps have to do with his problems in Russia? Was he stealing shit in Russia? Didn’t BG get arrested and plead guilty to domestic violence when she was married before her current wife? Should that disqualify her for US help like Whelan?

Paul Whelan the US Citizen who was designated as wrongfully detained by the US State Dept just like Griner. Paul Whelan who no one gave 2 shit’s about before BG was arrested. Yeah that Paul Whelan.

Reed sat in a Russian jail for 3+ years for getting too drunk in Moscow.

Holding people over a small vial of Cannabis Oil is silly no matter what Country they are in.

It is a LOT cheaper for Russia to let get her go back to America and good for some positive PR from it.
She is an excellent example of the "Ugly American." Too many Americans travel abroad and run afoul of the laws or ignore the cultural norms and courtesies in other nations. It doesn't matter what amount of Cannabis Oil she had. All should do some basic research on foreign nations and their laws, before visiting them. Had she been in some Islamic nations, she could have literally lost her head over the issue. American travelers need to stop thinking, "well, we're Americans, we can do whatever we want and the people in those nations should acquiesce to our ways." Not happening. I've travelled all over this planet and I make sure to pay attention to their laws.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back